It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery: parasite triggers suicide attempts, found in 20% people in Usa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Have you ever considered that wanting to terminate your life is triggered by something living in your body?
So, now, can suicide attempting being considered a brain disease?

www.sciencedaily.com...

A parasite thought to be harmless and found in many people may actually be causing subtle changes in the brain, leading to suicide attempts.

New research appearing in the August issue of The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry adds to the growing work linking an infection caused by the Toxoplasma gondii parasite to suicide attempts. Michigan State University's Lena Brundin was one of the lead researchers on the team.

About 10-20 percent of people in the United States have Toxoplasma gondii, or T. gondii, in their bodies, but in most it was thought to lie dormant, said Brundin, an associate professor of experimental psychiatry in MSU's College of Human Medicine.

In fact, it appears the parasite can cause inflammation over time, which produces harmful metabolites that can damage brain cells.

So, in the future, can this process being stopped and can suicide being abolished?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
If thats the case it must be rampant where I live....people off themselves around here all the time for no good reason.....just as well i guess....7 billion more where they came from.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for people that off themselves.....at the very least they could take a few more with em in the process....that at least would be a honorable death. I mean hey, if you suddenly have a death wish why not lash out?

I know that sounds insensitive, but I was never really very touchy feely either...OH LOOK....pie!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

Spooky stuff, isn't it?

I wrote about this in relationship to the military suicide problem.

A THEORY on the dramatic increase of suicide rates in the Military!!!

I see you're in Italy, what town?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Theres thousands of different fungi that affect insects and causes them to do "suicidal" things, Called Cordyceps. It messes with the brain chemicals, making the host do things. Each fungi specializes in just one insect.

Maybe theres something similar for humans?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

Would'nt that be caused by meat (especially game) not properly cooked?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

Cat owners beware.

Google it. It's 4 am. Cats and this parasite...google.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Great. I own a cat since the age of 9. But I'm confident nothing will happen.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Zagari

Would'nt that be caused by meat (especially game) not properly cooked?

Was thinkin the same thing myself.....good thing I don't eat cats....

There are also brain parasites that cause white matter build up on the brain mimicing such symptoms over time like that of Alzheimers.

Makes ya wonder what else is floating around yee old blood stream.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

Toxoplasmosis is one of the more common parasitic zoonoses world-wide. Its causative agent, Toxoplasma gondii, is a facultatively heteroxenous, polyxenous protozoon that has developed several potential routes of transmission within and between different host species. If first contracted during pregnancy, T. gondii may be transmitted vertically by tachyzoites that are passed to the foetus via the placenta. Horizontal transmission of T. gondii may involve three life-cycle stages, i.e. ingesting infectious oocysts from the environment or ingesting tissue cysts or tachyzoites which are contained in meat or primary offal (viscera) of many different animals. Transmission may also occur via tachyzoites contained in blood products, tissue transplants, or unpasteurised milk. However, it is not known which of these routes is more important epidemiologically. In the past, the consumption of raw or undercooked meat, in particular of pigs and sheep, has been regarded as a major route of transmission to humans. However, recent studies showed that the prevalence of T. gondii in meat-producing animals decreased considerably over the past 20 years in areas with intensive farm management. For example, in several countries of the European Union prevalences of T. gondii in fattening pigs are now

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
If it isn't already a bio-weapon then it soon will be.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Makes me think of the Asimov Story "Hostess "

Without spoiling anything, then it has a very similar plot, eerily similar to this, and you know what they say "The truth is usually stranger than fiction"

Regardless i really recommend giving Hostess a read, very thought provoking novella.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
reply to post by Zagari

Cat owners beware.

Google it. It's 4 am. Cats and this parasite...google.

I have a bunch of cats and feel fine.

I think that people are becoming vitamin c deficient. Kinda like the early stages of scurvy.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You can get it from cat poo..i heard about this in the film "trainspotting" years ago.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
That's pretty interesting, it immediately reminded me of this The Mystery Suicides of Bridgend

It certainly does make you wonder, what with a lot of animals being bred and used locally in Wales.

top topics

join