It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Vice President Resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Mohammad Ali Abtahi turned in his resignation today, claiming he could not with with the current parliament. He insists they are too conservative-dominated. President Mohammad Khatami, has instated Majid Ansari as Iran's new Vice President

news.com.au
IRAN Vice President Mohammad Ali Abtahi resigned today, saying he could not work with the conservative-dominated parliament.

A close ally of reformist President Mohammad Khatami, Abtahi first tendered his resignation in February, but it was not accepted.

Mr Khatami has appointed Majid Ansari as the new vice president for legal and parliamentary affairs, Abtahi told The Associated Press.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is reported that Mr Abtahi had many enemies in the parliament. Mr. Abtahi states he cannot carry out his duties and responsibilites. He also states that he will remain committed to President Khatami's programs including reform.

Mr. Abtahi is known for his views in democratic reform advocacy. He was blamed for trying to bring about the Islamic establishment collapse.

Information provided by sanctum

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Bear in mind that ex-VP and chief reformist Mohammad Ali Abtahi did not resign alone. Over a third of the Iranian Parliament resigned, as well:
One-third of Iran's parliament resigns over candidate ban

M. Ali Abtahi's resignation will no doubt add significant pressure for President Mohammad Khatami to petition his resignation also. Keep in mind that politics is 'politics', no matter the region it is played or utilized in. As such, this may simply all be a political gambit to garner votes for the upcoming elections.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
ok, this is bad...
bad bad bad...
with the reformist government, they had hope of a brighter future (as long as things continued towards progression).
the lower body is mostly conservative islam...the upper body had some reformers in it... the less reformers, the more like the hostage taking iran of the past, this becomes...
Iran is seen as a key player in the islamic kingdom... where they lead, lots of others follow... where do we want them to go? I would prefer to see the whole country of Iran watching baywatch and eating frozen pizzas, not burning flags and effigies...

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I see this as the exact opposite of bad Lazarus. I never imagined that the Islmaic establishment was going to go willingly. This may very well be the beginning of a revolution in Iran, which would be very, very good. This is a massive resignation and a very public one at that. This shows that a sizeable portion of the Iranian population wants REAL reform, and real change never comes easily. Though this move may return full power to the Islamic establishment, I feel that it may only be temporary. Great post deeprivergal and I think great news as well.

top topics

join