It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After drought blights crops, US farmers face toxin threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

CHICAGO, Aug 15 (Reuters) - The worst U.S. drought in five decades has parched the land and decimated crops. It now threatens to deal a second blow to farmers, who may have to throw out tonnes of toxic feed. Growers are rushing to check the nitrate levels of that silage, the stalks and leaves that corn farmers often harvest to feed to locally raised cattle or hogs. Agriculture groups are warning farmers that drought-hit plants may have failed to process nitrogen fertilizer due to stunted growth, making them poisonous to livestock.

As many as 9 million acres -- or 9 percent of the corn crop -- may not be harvested for grain this year, according to USDA data released last week. That would be the most abandoned acres in a decade. Much of that will be used instead as silage.

After drought blights crops, US farmers face toxin threat

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Scary, to know how a drought, can cause so much damage, to everything it touches.

And on a side note..........

I do believe we should actually stop subsidizing our Fuel, with Corn based Ethanol, and actually use the Corn, for feeding the World. Just My humble Opinion.

A recent ethanol study by the University of Minnesota suggests that corn-based ethanol maybe more harmful (climate change, greenhouse gases, health effects) and costly to the environment than gasoline itself. With this said, it is important to note that quite a bit of the US production of ethanol is currently reliant on first generation biofuels, such as corn.

New Study Finds Corn-based Ethanol More Harmful Than Oil-based Gasoline

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Monsanto

Warn your family and tell the neighbors!

S & F

Thanks for the headsup...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, dont get me started on that crap.

Heres something to ponder.

New tests confirm that damage last year to some corn fields in western Illinois was caused by rootworms that have developed resistance to a Monsanto Co. (MON) genetically modified trait, a University of Illinois researcher said.

Illinois Researcher Confirms Rootworm Resistance To Monsanto Corn Trait

What does this do to the insects, that become resistant to it?

I dont think these people have a clue.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Super bug!

It's a pathetic cycle they have started. One way or another they'll kill us.

"Feed the world"

My Aunt's fanny!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I do believe we should actually stop subsidizing our Fuel, with Corn based Ethanol, and actually use the Corn, for feeding the World. Just My humble Opinion.

An opinion many others including myself share never saw the "logic" of burning food for fuel thank lobbyist's for that "genius idea".

Toxins not only in feedstock, but the run off from fields that most have poor drainage, and it can take some time before a field will be able to produce again.

Take from the strategic reserve, revisit the keystone but that is too late, and open drilling opportunities here and the US, and end foreign drilling operations on US soil.

It is time they put up about energy independence or shut up about it.
edit on 18-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If these might be of help, here is the latest U.S. Drought Conditions map..

..and the Drought Impact Reporter from the University of Nebraska at Omaha. This one has a state by state map that clicks into the individual reports for each, sorted and tagged by area of effect. Tourism...Agriculture...Wildlife..Etc. Your toxin warnings form a couple of the bulletins, at least.

Drought Impact Reports and Status Details

We got a little rain here yesterday but after the weeks of parched nothingness....well, it's like handing a dixie cup of water to a man in the desert... We need a week or more of just non-stop, steady rain...and I'm not sure how that would do for farmers and ranchers.
Scary times.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Toxins not only in feedstock, but the run off from fields that most have poor drainage, and it can take some time before a field will be able to produce again.

That is the scariest part of it all, MHO.

I wonder how this is going to effect prices, in the near future ?

Food, Gas, Etc.........

This cant be good, Im afraid.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by neo96

That is the scariest part of it all, MHO.

I wonder how this is going to effect prices, in the near future ?

Food, Gas, Etc.........

This cant be good, Im afraid.

EVerything is going to rise in prices across the boards fuel prices are going up,food prices are going up other consumer goods are going to go up.

Fuel is the cornerstone of the economy that is use in planting, and harvesting those ag products that effect other areas of industry.

Supply is low the demand will be high which means only one thing it going to cost the end user the most.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
If these might be of help, here is the latest U.S. Drought Conditions map..

..and the Drought Impact Reporter from the University of Nebraska at Omaha. This one has a state by state map that clicks into the individual reports for each, sorted and tagged by area of effect. Tourism...Agriculture...Wildlife..Etc. Your toxin warnings form a couple of the bulletins, at least.

Drought Impact Reports and Status Details

We got a little rain here yesterday but after the weeks of parched nothingness....well, it's like handing a dixie cup of water to a man in the desert... We need a week or more of just non-stop, steady rain...and I'm not sure how that would do for farmers and ranchers.
Scary times.

Thanks for the Info Wrabbit.

THIS is sad !!!!!

Record-high corn prices should be sending a clear message to policy makers in Washington: Requiring people to put corn-based fuel in their gas tanks is a bad idea.

Nearly Half Of Corn Devoted To Fuel Production Despite Historic Drought

So.....Fuel is MORE important, then living ?

I hope these Lobbyist and Politicians, choke on their Ethanol.........

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The impact of the drought will take several months to reach supermarket shelves, but food prices could rise an average of 3 to 4 percent next year, ­according to the USDA. Average food prices in July, both nationally and in Boston, were 2 percent higher than a year ago, after jumping 4 percent in 2011, according to the US Labor Department.

Drought likely to push up prices

I hope people are preparing for this.

I hope the President, is preparing also.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I've been watching the price of Beef slowly rise.

I love Rib-eye

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by sonnny1

I've been watching the price of Beef slowly rise.

I love Rib-eye

Give it a few months Slayer.

You might only be able to afford a Rib........

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well a bit of local news from the farmers mouth, so to speak.

We Chopped off around 120 Acres that was planted as Silage corn to began with. At best most of it had single smaller cobs to a stalk. Tested Nitrate levels in it after a week in bunker and they will be well within normal limits.

A rule in general when putting up Corn Silage its best to pack and store it for at least 2 weeks before feeding. Even with elevated levels of Nitrogen in some of the drought stricken varieties, Much of it will still be usable for feed. It just needs to be fermented longer is all, and than retested again. Also using preservatives/inoculants help with spoilage and needed Bacterial production. The largest concern with doughty silage corn is mycotoxins, but that is also easily dealt with. Just an added cost.

I see no huge disaster when it comes to "Bad Feed" as far as Silage goes, It will not be available for use immediately is all.

The real disaster is the fact that much of the Commercial grain crops are going to be used for Silage, and poor silage at that.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Oh shoot, never thought of that.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

An opinion many others including myself share never saw the "logic" of burning food for fuel thank lobbyist's for that "genius idea".

Ever since they started this I have been outspoken against it, now,

We are reaping what we have sown, ironic.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

Thanks for the response!!

Since you have first hand knowledge, do you also expect the prices to rise too?

What part of the country, do you hail from, if I may ask?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yeah, Im concerned about the prices, of feed, meat, etc.....

We are already in a Depression. I don't think this country can take more of this.
edit on 18-8-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yeah, Im concerned about the prices, of feed, meat, etc.....

We are already in a Depression. I don't think this country can take more of this.
edit on 18-8-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

I have my own insights as to what I see going on here and around the planet, but I wont go there.

Strange times we are living in.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Strange times we are living in.

Tuesday is soylent green day..........?

I hope THATS not the future.......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join