It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future's Bright, The Future's DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
This morning I read a fascinating article about how data storage could be dramatically changed over the coming years. Apparently Harvard Researchers have managed to encode an entire book into strands of DNA and then successfully managed to read it back.

They claimed and I quote "A device the size of your thumb could store as much information as the whole Internet,"

This is a mind boggling advance in technology as far as I am concerned. They say also that it will be several years before it is fine tuned enough to be viable, but hey this is incredible.

This now poses an interesting question. If we have come up with this idea, then who's saying that intelligent life in the galaxy hasn't also? If we ever find rocks with DNA strands in it, you never know it may contain information about them or what happened to them if the planet is dead (Mars for instance).

Ok here is the link to the article for anyone who want's to have a read, it really is interesting.

online.wsj.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
To point out the obvious, the one thing God protected when man fell from grace in the Garden of Eden was the Tree of Life. It said that man could stretch out his hand for the tree of life and live forever. A flaming sword protects it. What is the flaming sword? In the Bible, the consuming fire of God cuts away our pride. There is a reason that the greatest storage mechanism for information just happens to be the very thing that encodes a 75 foot oak tree into an acorn and and entire human into sperm and egg. This is the most obvious evidence we have that we are created. Watch out for the fire is good advise for science.

Originally posted by fossy
This morning I read a fascinating article about how data storage could be dramatically changed over the coming years. Apparently Harvard Researchers have managed to encode an entire book into strands of DNA and then successfully managed to read it back.

They claimed and I quote "A device the size of your thumb could store as much information as the whole Internet,"

This is a mind boggling advance in technology as far as I am concerned. They say also that it will be several years before it is fine tuned enough to be viable, but hey this is incredible.

This now poses an interesting question. If we have come up with this idea, then who's saying that intelligent life in the galaxy hasn't also? If we ever find rocks with DNA strands in it, you never know it may contain information about them or what happened to them if the planet is dead (Mars for instance).

Ok here is the link to the article for anyone who want's to have a read, it really is interesting.

online.wsj.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

There is a reason that the greatest storage mechanism for information just happens to be the very thing that encodes a 75 foot oak tree into an acorn and and entire human into sperm and egg. This is the most obvious evidence we have that we are created. Watch out for the fire is good advise for science.

This is a very good and valid point, when you think about it anything that is essentially living has some kind of genetic blueprint, a recipe stored somewhere that when put together creates something wonderful.

Originally posted by fossy

online.wsj.com...

new topics

join