It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MY little Pony...Innocent show? Or left wing conspiracy to feminize men?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

They had a convention here. The first one had a few hundred people. The second had thousands, it has certainly grown in popularity.

I watched it once or twice, wondering if all the sweetness would make me gag. But it is not so unrealisticly sweet. I kinda liked it.

They do seem to touch on subjects that kids deal with. Like the little pony that didn't get her mark yet and the others made fun of her. Almost an educational show in disguise.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I was surprised to read and not find a response from Majic in here. It's still early.

I've watched practically all the kids shows over the years, but that is what they are. It's cool being an adult now, because I get to say, "I have to watch them so I know what they are teaching my kids." Nothing wrong with MLP, but I'd rather have aliens and ray guns anyday.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by yuppa

But every following has the crazies. Unfortunately if it isn't sports, it is considered weird. (I have a beef with that)
A guy can paint himself like a savage, shake his stomach and wear a huge fro, and that is ok (don't forget that fan is short for fanatic) but if it is Star Wars or a cartoon, they are losers.

Really, who is manlier than a Klingon?

edit on 17-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

LOL nixie. Mayby i should re thing the whole thing. A few of the things you said do make perfect sense. Feminist have done some good In the past So forgive the aspersions i placed on them. And you are right. there will always be "super fans" who take things too far. But on the whole it looks like I might have jumped the gun. The majority of men who watch they show might actually be better off than those who do not. I was brought up in a family that if you cried you were considered a wimp. The typical,"stop crying or ill give you something to cry about" kind of father. SO its hard for me to relate at times to more emotional males. And yes Klingons are so manly they break the manliness scale.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
*snip*

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was created as a FAMILY SHOW. Where parents can watch a show with their 7 year olds and actually get a little ENJOYMENT. I have 2 children, a boy and a girl, who absolutely adore the show! Because of this fact, I have seen quite a few of the episodes with my children cuddled next to me. And guess what? It actually isn't terrible!

How dare you all judge me, as well as the culture behind people that enjoy a show with pretty colors and a wonderful message. It is a well made show! Granted, it isn't the most mature when compared to all the rape and murder on television, it is legitimately something quite fun to watch with the kids.

*snip*

edit on Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:16:06 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

You are using emotional abuse to condition your child.

Imagine if your wife came home, upset from work because someone took credit for somethign she did, and you sat there and called her a crybaby, how would that go over?

Yet you will do it to a young child?

What you need to learn to do is called emotional intelligence. Look it up. You don't "toughen" up your child. You teach them to analyze the situation and how to handle it.

Children reflect the upbringing they receive. So when your called to school constantly to be told to get your bully son under control, you will have no one to blame but yourself.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Can I give you a hug?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I think the Last Airbender is more popular with adults then with kids. Excellent show. Great martial arts but no violence. No huge sexual overtones, but still really funny.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes you may.

Azula is a great character by the way. Shes more manly than zuko could ever be.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Hey now, I am defending Stars Wars fans. lol

I am a trekkie myself.

But seriously, it is ok to be a fantatic about a sport, so much so that you will dress funny (god, why did the Ravens have to choose purple?? or wear a block of cheese on your head) and scream at an opponen'ts fan to your spraying spittle.

But someone wants to look like a storm trooper, and they are a dork.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
My son has long since outgrown Oswald, but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

edit on 17-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I saw a guy dressed as a storm trooper on canada day.
Replaced the empire symbol with a canadian maple leaf and everything =P

I gave him cheers.
He was with a klingon too
And some guy in enormous armor, couldn't tell which show it was off of. Some sort of anime i think. Massive suit.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

*gives you a great big vitural hug*

The movie was probably the biggest hollywood let down ever, but that is off topic and for another thread. XD

Seriously though, nothing wrong with a guy to cry when it is called for. We nicknamed my FIL the rock, he didn't even cry when his son died. There is just something disturbign about that.

His father was a submarine captain.

HIm and his brother are so dysfunctional it isn't even funny.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I watch Transformers: Rescue Bots.

LOL

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Haha who cares what people watch...... i haven't given a chance for My Little Pony but if its the same creators/artist that made Powerfuff Girls, Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack, i will watch it, those shows were great!

I still have the entire Samurai jack on my computer.

I liked those shows because of the type of drawing and how they created funny, and weird style of jokes.

Anyone heard of Courage the Cowardly Dog? Cow and Chicken? I.M Weasel and I.R Baboon!

Many shows start out with a target audience and end up getting different audience. i might try My Little Pony and see what i can relate.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Agreed. The Airbender Series was excellent, right down my alley.

The no law that says you can't watch what you like.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

There seems to be a resurgance of what we played with in the early 80s. They are restarting TMNT...AGAIN.
I heard they were going to attempt to re start He-Man. They did successfully bring back transformers.Disney tried to regurgitate Tron, unsuccessfully but their timing was all wrong. X-Men was a good bring back. Care Bears is running again, probably trying to play off the MLP resurgence since they are both in the same category. They tried to do SMurfs.

There are others but I can't think of them now. I think they are even trying to bring back Mr. Magoo.

This kills me: there were 6 original MLP, I have one of them. We all played with them as kids. One of those original 6 in a package sells for about 6-10k these days.

So I do think you have a point about the money making. Action figures make a lot of dough. Which is why movies are created to just sell toys and video games.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Druid42

I think the Last Airbender is more popular with adults then with kids. Excellent show. Great martial arts but no violence. No huge sexual overtones, but still really funny.

I liked that but I liked Full Metal Alchemist more. I also read Naruto Manga and watch the Anime, every week.

Not My Little Pony though

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Merriman Weir

There seems to be a resurgance of what we played with in the early 80s.

Not me. I was born in 1968. I wasn't really playing with toys in the early 1980s. I think the 1980s were where things broke or changed, depending on your view. Yes, there were 'collectibles' and toys with ranges of accessories when I was younger (I played with Action Men, in the early 1970s) but not on the scale that appeared in the early 1980s. I'm not sure what allowed this: Chinese exports rising, changes in plastic technology allowing for new, cheaper toys, economic shifts allowing for more toy buying, a more sophisticated sense of TV and toys tie-ins? Maybe all these and more.

They are restarting TMNT...AGAIN.

No idea what that is, sorry

I heard they were going to attempt to re start He-Man. They did successfully bring back transformers.Disney tried to regurgitate Tron, unsuccessfully but their timing was all wrong. X-Men was a good bring back. Care Bears is running again, probably trying to play off the MLP resurgence since they are both in the same category. They tried to do SMurfs.

A lot of things from my childhood are either banned or just unmarketable. My childhood television was very strange and very dark. Tomorrow People, Sky, Children of the Stones, Ace of Wands, UFOwith a lot of black and white repeats.

The only really big remake I've seen from my childhood is Thunderbirds. I'm glad it wasn't a success, to be honest. I'm hoping for the same with the remake of Space 1999.

So I do think you have a point about the money making. Action figures make a lot of dough. Which is why movies are created to just sell toys and video games.

Everything makes a lot of "dough". The idea that 'download culture' is killing economies is farcical. Each year sees more film records broken at cinemas, new 'must have toys' (which don't get any cheaper), and so on. And this at a time when entertainment and 'play' options have never been more varied: no computer games culture similar to the one that exists now back in the 1980s, no phone as toy/PC/accessory back then &c. All these things are vying for people's money in a way that was unimaginable 30, 40 years ago.

Throw in toy and game crazes like Wizard of the Coast type card games, Pokemon cards, little bitty plastic collectible games which cost next to nothing to produce but can go for obscene amounts of money. There's an incredible, mind-boggling amount of money exchanging hands.

Money is at the bottom of Bronies, like it is with all things.

As a caveat, the thing I never really grew out of was comics.

edit on 17-8-2012 by Merriman Weir because: stuff

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

honestly im friends with someone who watches the show and he seems perfectly normal to me, he even tells me hates people going around calling themselves bronies

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A little fodder for a potential direction change in the discussion (in case anyone's interested)

We used to have stringent controls on what exactly producers could market as "program-length commercials"... which most toy-based shows can be said to be.

However there is an important caveat to consider.

Artistic expression, well-directed and produced shows with entertaining plot lines and age-free appeal are few and far between. It is very possible that the art of the show itself makes for a redeeming value of a show that was based on a manufacturer's contract with a media producer. So just because its about a toy line doesn't necessarily mean it is a commercial trick being played on children - though some may well be.

As part of the deregulation of the broadcast industry in the United States, in 3984 the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) lifted its prohibition against product-based programs, which it cynically termed “program-length commercials” (Kunkel & Watkins, 1987; Kunkel, 1988b). Since this repeal, the television industry, advertisers, and toy manufacturers have joined forces to produce a flood of product-based cartoons aimed at children (Boyer, 1986; Carlsson-Paige & Levin, 1987-1988). In earlier times, television programs (such as Sesame Street) were developed before related commercial products; today, the product has increasingly come first.

From The Program-Length Commercial: A Study of the Effects of Television/Toy Tie-Ins on Imaginative Play (1990)

The idea had been to protect innocent minds from falling to the commercial predation of toy manufacturers and their ilk.

The law was changed as a result of lobbying by the industries in question who claimed their 1st Amendment Rights were being stepped on.... the FCC went along with gusto.... (of course) and now they can make as many toy sales driving shows as they can get away with.

Interestingly, aside from paper, I can find little in the way of documentation about the "way things were".... but it does seem that the lame attempt to justify the relaxation of the previous policy was never properly explained by the FCC which led to a law suit that was, in uncharacteristically prompt fashion, rejected by the appeals court in D.C. ..... (821 F.2d 741)

Edit to add: the FCC got away with not elaborating on the reason they lifted the restriction by claiming they had already explained it in an earlier "radio" policy determination they had provided.... uh huh.... I thought that too.

edit on 17-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join