It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoots Dog Who Defended Homeless Man Who Had A Seizure...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

Originally posted by OpenEars123
I didn't watch the video or read any the posts.. But let me guess, American cops by any chance???

Exactly.

But even more interesting (read hideous)...is in this example: complete outrage by the bystanders, compared with clapping and cheering in the comparison link, where the human gets the firearm treatment.

Welcome not just to the American law enforcement officer, but the American public as well.

edit on 16-8-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
First off. This cop is an idiot. Bystanders were everywhere and he hip shoots directly at the pavement. He is lucky he hit the dog vs bullet fragments ricocheting into the crowd hurting someone. Or shooting himself in the foot. That would have been funny.

Second. Did you notice the dogs tail wagging? Dogs don't wag their tails side to side when in a mood to attack someone. His ears event even back until he chased the person off camera away. My dog acts similar to this but never intends to harm anyone. It is typical animal behavior when surrounded by strangers. Friendly but nervous.

Even when he ran at the cop his posture didn't appear angry. I slowed it down and his tail was still up and his gait was short. Like hopping not long strides of attack. But the wagging tail says it all.

Finally. They friggin pepper spray it after shooting it. Wtf?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
What is more important was saving that mans life,

edit on 16-8-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

Except they never even gave him a sideways glance once they shot the dog. If they felt the man was in such danger that it justified shooting at the ground when surrounded by bystanders you would think the next thing would be to immediately attend to the man whose life you needed to save.

Except they never did attend to him. Ever. In he whole long video.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Bad enough for the poor guy to have a seizure on the street, but to wake up and find out that your dog had been shot for looking out for you while you were helpless? Horrible.

That dog could not have been more than 30 pounds. He could have grabbed it by the scruff and ended any "threat" it posed.

Shooting it like that, on a crowded street no less, was entirely over the top. What a coward.

eta: I know people that are prone to seizures, that have service dogs specifically to help them in the event of a seizure. Could this dog have been the man's service animal, just doing it's job?
edit on 16-8-2012 by VariableConstant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

I agree - so many bystanders could have been hurt, so completely unnecessary. Just like the other day when cops shot a man close to Times Square 12 times.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Boy would Bloomberg be pissed if one of his tourists got hurt!

The dog, however, is showing signs of improvement.

Star, the pit bull mix that was shot by an NYPD officer on Monday in the East Village is alive and recovering slowly. "Star's condition is still serious, but thankfully she is showing signs of slight improvement," Richard Gentles, the press representative for Animal Care & Control says.

gothamist.com...
edit on 16-8-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I didn't watch the video, it's already horrible enough just reading the story. I share the outrage of most of the other people who posted in this thread, and had I wittnessed this I would have either ended up dead or in jail.

So, WTF is happening, why are the cops so quick to kill our dogs, when as others have pointed out in most cases the dogs could be restrained without harming anyone? Then it occured to me , cops will absolutely tolerate NO questioning of thier authority...and dogs do not respect thier "power"....dogs are not afraid of going to jail.....dogs are not afraid of guns....and these cowardly little control freaks simply will not tolerate being "challenged" in ANY way....How Dare " Sally" the collie bark at cops showing aggression toward her family........Bang, Bang....your dead "bitch".......

I try not to hate....but really I can't feel any other emotion toward anyone that would kill or harm an animal without blinking an eye, or giving any thought to any other option to restrain the dog if they feel in such great "danger" from that "vicious" beagle.......happy in this case the dog will survive.......

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

two minutes into the video and i see no one cares there's a guy on the ground.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
What I dont understand is, couldnt they just call in animal control.... I have seen animal control captured more vicious animals in the past without any shooting incident....

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Wow he totally almost shot his partner in the leg/foot.

That was way too close IMO.

But to be fair, the guy shooting the film did say the dog attacked a woman (defending his master?) by biting her pants (but it didn't bite her skin he claims).

So really like they said, this is one of those blurry tough calls.

My reasoning for it being over the top is because he actually had his partner right there and he could have been hit by the bullet, especially from a ricochet or fragment.
I would have been quite pissed if I were his partner.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by loam

OMG that is just awful. They should of finished the dog instead of letting it squeal.

I disagree.

As a law enforcement officer taking 1 shot for self-defense and then witnessing the 'target' become fully incapacitated is legitimate (as long as it's really in self-defense).

However performing a "mercy execution" is way out of bounds, especially considering the dog may actually recover eventually (?).

Now I will admit I had thought "put it out of it's misery" right away, but my logic kicked in and overrode my emotional reaction.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILLosopher
What I dont understand is, couldnt they just call in animal control.... I have seen animal control captured more vicious animals in the past without any shooting incident....

Maybe a reasonable solution is to equip all officers with tranquilizer projectiles and rubber bullets.

This gives them multiple options, but we need to work out a way to quickly switch between the various options so as not to endanger anyone unnecessarily.

I really like the tranquilizer projectile idea, and I am not sure why it isn't commonplace. Perhaps there are some important reasons why it's not an option currently for most LEOs?

I highly suggest we look into such alternative methodologies for incapacitating threats.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by gallifreyian

My girlfriend has one and while he is a nice dog, if he thought you were going to mess with her, he would protect her with his life - Pits are good dogs, but they will protect their guardian, their pack member (I hate the term "master").

edit on 16-8-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

i have a 10 pound poodle... and he would put his life on the line for me if he thought any one was messing with me... people probably didnt help the guy on the street after the pig shot the dog because they probably thought that they would have been shot too... the pig was a coward... afraid of a small barking dog... hope an animal group sues the city and gets his ass fired

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I am at a loss for words. The only thing that went through my head when that animal shot the dog was this: What a COWARD. My god, A dog that is not even as high as his knees. This "officer"(I use the term with utter scorn) has absolutely no right to have any kind of power or authority over others.

Sad state of affairs as to how our police officers are trained. He is AFRAID of a canine!. He shot an animal that was acting on instinct. He is either too stupid to realize this fact, or far too cowardly to carry a firearm.

Remember this name: Charles Cunningham Boycott. The only way to deal with these types of people are to ostracize them. Refuse them entry into your businesses. Refuse them any services you have to offer. Ignore them completely. Do not talk to or conduct business with these "Agents" under any circumstances save one: When these people are engaging you in their official capacity. You don't want to get thrown in jail for disobeying a lawful order.

These types of people need to be brought down from their authority power trip....and fast. An entire community could pull this off. It is not discrimination. It is not "hate". It is expressing your contempt of cop. Every free person has the right to refuse contact with anyone. If you are forced to deal with such a person in an official capacity....do so politely and with as little contact as possible. I have a feeling police would change their ways if they were shunned by entire communities when they returned to their private life. That would be a form of Justice.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join