It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Sink Hole Potentially HUGE DIRTY BOMB!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

It feels as though I'm im a movie theater, knowing the potential harm and waiting to see what happens if the butane storage cavern is breached,

In the meantime, has there been a proposal to move the butane elsewhere? Seems to me that's what has to be done. Hope everyone stays safe.
edit on 16-8-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
I haven't had a chance to verify details yet, but news is coming out that there was a shooting at a Valero refinery about ten miles away from the sinkhole. Shooting was at a subcontractors parking lot with 4 sheriff's deputies involved 2 dead, 2 wounded. 2 shooters dead as well I believe.

May or may not be related, I don't know. But with what is happening down there it could well be.

Several shooters are not a "disgruntled former employee". so this is obviously something else. Could they be current employees trying to stop something catastrophic from happening? Perhaps bad guys that got caught trying to make something catastrophic from happening? Any other ideas?

Added link:
Here is a link to a current ATS thread regarding the shooting.

Two Louisiana Police Officers Died After Early Morning Shooting

edit on 16-8-2012 by KaiserSoze because: I can count to potato

edit on 16-8-2012 by KaiserSoze because: My favorite color is marbles

This MSM event is still just simmering at the triple point. There were probably classified strategic military storage facilities in the area. Were the ambushed police officers X military personnel that might have been briefed and needed silencing? couple more thread links needed here.

http/

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by AuntB

It feels as though I'm im a movie theater, knowing the potential harm and waiting to see what happens if the butane storage cavern is breached,

In the meantime, has there been a proposal to move the butane elsewhere? Seems to me that's what has to be done. Hope everyone stays safe.
edit on 16-8-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

That seems sensible, but with the insane amount I don't know if that removing it is even an option or how long it would take to do so. That just seems like such an awesome amount of butane.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Companies and various government agencies have been storing all kinds of stuff in these salt caverns! There is no current plan to remove the butane as per reports. Bubbles in the bayou are found far beyond where the sinkhole is indicating this may actually be spreading. Regardless however despite other reports that it was stabilizing it increased in size further today.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Not that this has anything to do with anything but I wonder what that Russian Submarine was up do down there and if any connection can be made

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The reason its growing is because the New Madrid Seismic Zone is getting ready to split the US in half

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
"The 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane 1500 feet from the sinkhole has an explosive capacity of 100 Hiroshima nuclear bombs, 1.5 times the explosive force of the largest thermonuclear weapon in current service in the U.S"

I think that would be enough for me to start packing.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Does anyone know how many miles the blast would go out if the butane were to ignite? Is there any way to calculate this, or make an educated guess?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
butane cannot burn or explode unless mixed with the proper amount of oxygen. it is childish to claim one hundred hiroshimas blah blah blah. will not happen.
furthermore, the amount of air mixed with butane to cause an explosion is about 18 to one, about the same as gasoline.
this posting is noxious scare mongering.

now, if the butane were to begin escaping, and was ignited on the surface, it would make a really big and smoky fire.

not going to explode though.

most curious is why a useful fuel was buried.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Using the link below put in 1600kt, bayou corne, la and it will give you a map and stats.

www.nuclearsecrecy.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darkstar57

I was just crunching some numbers and you beat me to it. Dang it foiled again

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

First please re-read the initial post. It is put underground as common storage method of storing petroleum products as well as toxic often nuclear/radioactive waste. Second as to the oxygen issue- there is oxygen down there especially if the cavern collapses pushing the oxygen pockets along rock fascia as well possibly in the butane storage area. This is a HEAVYILY mined area so there would seem to be plenty of sources of oxygen. There are also numerous secondary wells which are used to remove and add materials which with all the (human induced) increased geologic activity have the potential to become damaged/less stable. Once it escapes to the surface then the issues would be water, air as well as environmental contamination.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
How close is this to the gulf of Mexico?????

U know there's a large dome of methane under there right?

This might become catastrophic if that ignites too.

www.treehugger.com...

www.reuters.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

But hope this is true below

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

i read the initial post. now re read mine, this time try to comprehend what 18 to 1 means.
the air down there in the mine is going to be way less than one to one.
Not going to explode , not going to burn.

you lack elementary chemiistry comprehension.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) had quietly permitted Texas Brine Company LLC to pump radioactive waste into its now failing cavern near the sinkhole DNR also hid documents showing that cavern may have had problems since 2010.

www.examiner.com...

Wow, these people need to go to jail

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

There could very well be it all depends on the size of the other empty (or now partially empty cause it is filling with water). Not all salt veins/caverns are the same size. IN ADDITION there are numerous secondary wells with in each cavern and more being drilled as potential sources of air. The caverns are lined by salt and often held up via salt pillers. When water is introduced to these caverns it quickly disolves the salt including the pillers. The sinkhole is composed of a slurry or mud at this point not just water. If there is indeed a breach in the cavern, the water of he bayou would have entered and partially filled the cave, dissolving the salt. This will make the cavern unstable. It the cavern collapses it could create problems with the stability of the surrounding well heads introducing larger amounts of oxygen into the system. Having over 12 years of college education after highschool, well as professional degree, I have actually taken numerous courses in chemisty, biology and geology of both college and univeristy level chemistry, please do not attack my knowledge.

Furthermore there are fires that occur underground all the time see link: en.m.wikipedia.org...

The bubbles that started months before the tremors and have increased and continued are guess what.... Oxygen
seems like plenty of oxygen if u ask me as well as numerous potential avenues through wells and vents, ect.

It is you who seem to lack a basic understanding of geology and commercial mining.

edit on 8/16/2012 by kupoliveson because: Added more

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Anyone actually informed on this knows it for what it is:
An unfortunate, limited, and containable local emergency. Yes, it is a real thing happening. No, it isn't going to involve a massive explosion or the loss of tons of life or even affect all that much wildlife and will only affect a few people (God help them)
The hysteria surrounding this is mostly spurred by an advertisment driven blog called the Examiner, fanned by radical enviro groups who will use anything, even if completely unrelated, to go after the oil and gas business in the state.
The "conspiracy" is simply a case of a Texas brine extraction company basically mining the salt for 30 years and capping the "dome". The integrity of the dome was called into question, the state DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) knew about that and did pretty much nothing. Then a year later this sinkhole begins to develop. All natural gas pipelines in the immediate area were cut off and re-routed. The butane well is still a concern but remains an unlikely scenario. And no, like an earlier poster stated, it would not "ignite a dirty bomb". The worst case is a big nasty fire that will send lots of nasty smoke into nearby communities, and depending on wind, into the large metro areas of Baton Rouge and New Orleans. But again, an unlikely scenario.

Any speculation that the cop shootings in the Valero Refinery parking lot are in any way connected to the sinkhole are based on absolutely nothing but frantic ranting at this point? Why shoot 2 local cops over this?

Anyway- DNR head has already resigned and the Texas company is being forced to pay for the response efforts and will surely be sued. It is shame altogether, but please, lay off the extreme sensationalism!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This brings to mind the maps of Edgar Cayce and Michael Godron Scallion, and the rumored future maps that the US Navy has too, of the Great Lakes feeding directly into the Gulf. A simple collapse of the caverns, without any explosion, might just do it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

How about ABC are they any more reliable?

In the meantime, officials and residents are left to worry about the possibility of an explosion.

All of the neighboring natural gas pipelines that were of concern last week have been depressurized and emptied, but the nearby caverns are still causing concern.

One cavern that contains 940,000 gallons of butane is of particular concern, Torres said. It's about 2,000 feet from the sinkhole.

Authorities are concerned about the massive explosion that could result from the butane's release to the surface if the sinkhole were to expand far enough to reach it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

A dirty bomb doesn't require the explosive force of a nuclear weapon. All that is required is something to spread the radiological material. If there is any radioactive waste stored near the butane and if there is a fire....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join