It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regardless of Your Politics - Disrespect is Disrespect, and It Shouldn't Be Encouraged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Found this story - I'm sure most of you read it or heard about it.
Story Link

It's about a deli who was hired to cater Obama's visit to Iowa. He was the co-owner of the deli, and worked the event, wearing a "Government Didn't Build My Business, I Did" shirt - a very clear jab at Obama and demonstration of support for Romney.

I take issue with this. You don't have to vote for the man, but bottom line is you also don't have to flat out disrespect people that are giving you an opportunity of a life-time.

Granted:

Murty, 45, a registered Republican, didn’t really have a choice with the catering job. His partner, Bret Dalton (a registered Democrat), accepted the work on Saturday while Murty was away in Chicago watching a Cubs game. Dalton volunteered for Vice President Biden’s presidential campaign in 1988, when he was a student at Iowa State University.

But the story goes on to say that when the contract was accepted, neither men knew who it was for, and when they did find out:

“I would never say no to anybody for any reason,” Murty said. “My partner and I have different views in politics, but business is business.”

Really Mr. Murty? That's nice you'd never NOT take someone's money - but you could at least show a little common respect for your customers. For one day, you don't have to be obnoxiously in the face of the very people you're "serving".

You didn't have to work the event, you didn't have to accept the contract, and you didn't have to prove a point. Your point would have been proven in the ballot box - instead you've made yourself, and millions of others (guilt by association) look petty and small.

In comparison, here is how it SHOULD be handled. When approached by the Joe Biden handlers for a campaign stop:
Other Story Link

"She said they have selected 'Crumb and Get It" to be his stop on his way to Blacksburg and was wondering if that was ok."

Here's the part that might make other business owners crazy.

"This is an opportunity of a lifetime but essentially I said 'No offense to you or the campaign but I just decline you guys coming in here. At that time she said 'Are you sure? There's going to be a lot of press, a lot of activity,’" McMurray said.

Mr. McMurry politely declined to host the event, even though their deli had been open only for few months and could use the money. They disagreed with the politics and therefore wouldn't brazenly take the money from people and then disrespect them.

At least some people still have a modicum of civility and class.

And to show that the Vice President's handlers appreciated it:

Here's the back story, we’re told that shortly after Crumb and Get It told Biden’s advance people 'no' -- the secret service walked in and told Chris McMurray ''Thanks for standing up and saying 'no' -- then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes.

This could easily be inferred that they simply don't politically support the current administration, but I take it as more a "thanks" that the owner didn't act as Mr. Murty in the first story - causing them headaches and everyone tension that didn't need to be there.

edit on 16-8-2012 by gncnew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well, I bet Mr. McMurty would still serve you a sandwich, guy.

Even though what you wrote here does not show respect for Mr. Murty's method of handling the situation, you'd probably be welcome to sit in his restaurant. Sounds like he respects people's opinions and just politely disagreed with some things the POTUS said. He didn't deny his service to people because of their political leanings. Sounds like he disagrees with catering only to those that agree with him. Star and flag, buddy!
edit on 16-8-2012 by insideanalyst because: Yummy non-segregation sandwiches

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

It does seem to be getting more acceptable or even encouraged to be offensive when it comes to politics.

Like the other shopkeeper, he should have politely refused or told his partner. "He's your guy, you make his sandwiches."

I seem to remember during the Bush administration that we were told you should still respect the office even if you don't like who occupies it.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas
reply to post by gncnew

It does seem to be getting more acceptable or even encouraged to be offensive when it comes to politics.

Like the other shopkeeper, he should have politely refused or told his partner. "He's your guy, you make his sandwiches."

I seem to remember during the Bush administration that we were told you should still respect the office even if you don't like who occupies it.

I could be mistaken but to solve the OP problem, the Bush admin. started a "protest section" for the people who wanted to protest, they could scream and make signs... down the street. They also inspected clothes for events so the TV wouldn't be albe to find shirts with the wrong message.

(I hope the deli owner didn't use a road to arrive at the event.)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wwiilliiaamm

I could be mistaken but to solve the OP problem, the Bush admin. started a "protest section" for the people who wanted to protest, they could scream and make signs... down the street. They also inspected clothes for events so the TV wouldn't be albe to find shirts with the wrong message.

Never heard of the 'protest section'.

(I hope the deli owner didn't use a road to arrive at the event.)

Or use a Farmer, Baker, Butcher, Electric,Gas............. But that is for another thread.

top topics

join