It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan Pretends Ayn Rand Not His Idol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Paul Ryan, the budget plan-toting and P90Xing representative from Wisconsin, was recently chosen by Mitt Romney as his running mate on the Republican ticket, yet a hatred for big government and love of washboard abs aren’t the only things he feels strongly about. Ryan has had a life-long fascination and appreciation of Ayn Rand, author of philosophical novels like “The Fountainhead” and “Atlas Shrugged.”

“It’s so important that we go back to our roots to look at Ayn Rand’s vision, her writings, to see what our girding, under-grounding [sic] principles are. I always go back to, you know, Francisco d’Anconia’s speech (at Bill Taggart’s wedding) on money when I think about monetary policy. And then I go to the 64-page John Galt speech, you know, on the radio at the end, and go back to a lot of other things that she did, to try and make sure that I can check my premises so that I know that what I’m believing and doing and advancing are square with the key principles of individualism…”

Ryan certainly latched on to Rand’s primary strands of philosophical thought, continuing in his Atlas Society speech “there is no better place to find the moral case for capitalism and individualism than through Ayn Rand’s writings and works.”

Yet now, perhaps in a bid to appeal to independent voters who don't want to hear about Objectivism in the wake of the Great Recession, Ryan has tempered his obsession with Rand, though given his outspoken nature on the topic, it will be a hard sell to convince the population he isn’t sleeping with “The Fountainhead” under his pillow.

www.nydailynews.com...

Paul Ryan praises psychopath Ayn Rand

He then lies and backtracks after pressure from religious organizations

“I reject her philosophy,” Ryan says firmly. “It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas,” who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. “Don’t give me Ayn Rand,” he says.

www.webpronews.com...

Anyone that believes in the Ayn Rand cult is an extreme danger to society. Ayn Rand preached absolute selfishness, thought any sort of social program was evil, wanted corporations to rule the USA, racist, thought the non-rich were useless eaters, was against the public's ability to vote, and worshiped a serial killer.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Rand promotes a capitalism that is red in tooth and claw, you can see her influence in the current right in America. The social darwinist approach to society. (Ironic for a nation of so many many Christian conservatives).

I much prefer the Napoleon Hill approach to Capitalism. More compassionate and concerned with more than just the selfish desires.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Ayn Rand preaches social Darwinism mixed with corporatism, it is absolutely terrifying that this women influences the right wing so greatly in this country. She WORSHIPED A SERIAL KILLER and was completely psychopathic.

William Edward Hickman (1908 – October 19, 1928) was an American criminal responsible for the kidnapping, murder and dismemberment of Marion Parker, a 12-year-old girl. The Los Angeles Times referred to Hickman's actions as "the most horrible crime of the 1920's".[1]

In 1928, the writer Ayn Rand began planning a novel called The Little Street, whose hero, Danny Renahan, was to be based on "what Hickman suggested to [her]." The novel was never finished, but Rand wrote notes for it which were published after her death in the book Journals of Ayn Rand. Rand wanted the hero of her novel to be "A Hickman with a purpose. And without the degeneracy. It is more exact to say that the model is not Hickman, but what Hickman suggested to me."[3] Rand scholars Chris Matthew Sciabarra and Jennifer Burns both interpret Rand's interest in Hickman as a sign of her early admiration of the ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche, especially since she several times referred to Hickman as a "Superman" (in the Nietzschean sense).[4][5]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 16-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Todays CONservatives are looking to put America back into the Dark Ages. Everything that our previous generations fought so hard for that makes the average citizens life a bit easier, the CONservatives are looking to STRIP from us.

Their clever little scheme involves GUTTING everything for the already OVER-BURDENED average American citizens, so that NO BURDEN WHATSOEVER falls upon their buddies the SUPER-wealthy, the big corporations, and the Wall Street Fat-cats in America! The ones who are RAKING in MOUNTAINS of cash beyond our WILDEST IMAGINATIONS. Yet, those of us who barely get by each month after rent/mortgage, food, utilities should be the ones who sacrifice say the CONservatives! Forget about the ones who spend money on several MANSIONS, YACHTS, and PERSONAL JETS every year, heck, why should THEY have to sacrifice say the CONservatives!

The average American citizen is already over-burdened and they have had enough. STUFF IT CONSERVATIVES extremists!!!!

And any Christian who really believes in the ways of their Jesus character should be FURIOUS at todays Republicans. Their actions are the ABSOLUTE opposite of what their character Jesus preached. COMPLETE OPPOSITE! Only a TOTAL HYPOCRITE in the Christian-camp would be a Republican today.
edit on 16-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ayn Rand as psychopath?

Are you serious?

Go read Red Pawn, and tell me about her psychopathology. Intellectuals have a phenomenally strong ability to separate elements of a person or situation, praising the good and condemning the bad, demonstrating an understanding of how inexplicably complicated people can become.

Ayn Rand praised the psychological luxury money bestowed upon the rich, condeming the ways in which poverty stunts individual evolution. She wrote during the wake of a creeping communistic philosophy, and this era during had an enormous impact on how she saw the world. Some is still relevant, and some, we've surpassed. And Ayn would actually like that.

Stop sipping kool-aid and watching you tube videos. I could turn Mother Theresa into a devil worshipper given the appropriate editing skills and software.
edit on 8/16/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

Um, she worshiped a guy that chopped up a little girl and killed her. She is a psychopath. It's sad that you defend such trash.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

She coveted an idea, RealSpoke, not the person. History is fraught with tragic folks who had positive ideas or experiences. That's all I was trying to point out: some people see very complicated people all around them; others see people who belong in boxes labelled "good" and "bad". I'm not sure if one way is any better than the other - they both have their triumphs and pitfalls, and I could effectively argue either side in a debate. But I'll at least agree with her premise that people are incredibly complex, and sometimes never even understand themselves.

Rock on RealSpoke - you always post thought-provoking material. And I encourage you to read Red Pawn, if only to get a sense of how complicated people are - you probably won't believe she wrote it. It's a short story, about 90 or so pages, and it's about demonstrating loyalty to someone you love while enduring a mindbendingly difficult reality where most of us would drop the loyalty, just to survive.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Do you really want to go down this road?? He enjoyed her books and was a fan of her writing not her core ideological structure. There are plenty Ayn Rand fans out there. Now if you were to say that he pretended that Frank Marshall Davis was not his Mentor, I'd say you were onto something.

You guys are going to have to do better than this to take the wind out of the sail.

BTW The Green Marching Band is a little loud right now and my signal is also a little sketchy. Should be a good speech. Ryan is set to take the stage at 9:30. The place is packed!! all after just about 12 hours of notice. This is good stuff.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

She worshiped him because he had the ability to not care about others....She praised his psychopathy....normal people do not do that. Do you admire Dahmer for his ability to kill and torture people?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Um, did you not listen to the videos of him proclaiming he loved Ayn Rand and her morals?
Then made a statement saying he didn't because it would make him look bad? I guess you love flip flopping liars.

edit on 17-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

She worshiped him because he had the ability to not care about others....She praised his psychopathy....normal people do not do that. Do you admire Dahmer for his ability to kill and torture people?

No, I don't admire Dahmer for his ability to kill and torture people. Do you?

I'm not sure what that question contributed.

But, moving on, you must understand that Ayn Rand saw all of us, not just you or me, as being somewhat restricted by our own sense of obligation toward our fellow man. Many of her writings, The Fountainhead especially, examined what it is like for someone with an incredible gift to deliver that gift to the world, all while wading through their real and imagined interpersonal dynamics. It can stifle free thought and all but end the creative process. You see, it wasn't that Ayn admired an ability to kill without remorse - she simply admired a mechanism that could temporarily free one from the impending doom of that one thought that has gripped us all at one time: what will everyone think?

Haven't you ever admired one trait of a person you would otherwise condemn, given that power? Or, would it be more accurate that, for you personally, one negative characteristic or behavior holds within it the potential to judge one as human trash? I'm not baiting here - some folks are very black and white, so to speak. And I can relate with this mode - it isn't too long ago in my past. But the grey, man. It's all around us.

edit on 8/17/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
All the Ayn Rand fans I know seem more focused on her proclaimed "expertise" on the communist infiltration of our government. They don’t always admit this directly, but you can hear it in their words. These people are all also paranoid about communism in general. Paranoid people tend to be 'extreme' in nature. So it doesn’t surprise me when they gravitate toward the extreme opposite of what they are extremely paranoid of. If communism is perceived as the root of all evil in this very Christian'ish nation, then it makes rational sense some would see Ayn Rand's ideas as extremely moral & godly. Especially in a nation where too many have the attention span of a goldfish and get their sustenance when their masters drop tetraflakes in their fish bowl.

I believe Ayn Rands philosophies are equally as bad as Karl Marx in practice. This makes me very nervous about idea of Paul Ryan being VP. I see this guy as an extremist who doesn’t believe in the separation of church and state and who professes faith in a religion which contradicts the ideologies of the woman he clearly idolizes.

top topics

join