It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Women Are Oppressed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Christian;

Muslim;

Now why does everyone complain that Muslim women are oppressed but not Orthodox Jew, or Christian women? All of the religions mentioned have a patriarchal ruling class in all of their holy books. All of the religions have similar clothing put on their women. Why this double standard?

I think there is a conspiracy to oppress the human race with religion, not just women, but everyone. I just do not get this societal double standard when all their women dress similar. Because one is socially normal and the other isn't?

edit on 15-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Not that I like religion, but you should probably consider the difference between a nun and a regular person who follows a faith.

Derp.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Derpitude

Nope, Nuns are Christian. The Christian base is not calling their clothing oppressive but do so to Muslims.

Nuns work "uniforms" are just as oppressive as Muslims.
edit on 15-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Nuns have a choice. They can take the vows or not. Muslim women do not have that choice. (most of them at any rate) They are born females and given no options. Nuns take the vows knowing they will be wearing what they wear.

Choice is the difference.
edit on 8/15/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Well who really cares what a person wears for religious purposes ?

If I am not mistaken we still do have the right to religion and expression , no ?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Nope. There are tons of Muslim women that have the choice. There are tons of Muslim women in Western countries that CHOOSE to wear their headgear.

link   
As above. I know plenty of pretty devout christian females who dress just the same as us heathens. Clutching at straws here buddy.

link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I don't care either, they can wear whatever they wish. The topic is that no one is calling Nuns dress oppressive when it is exactly the same as Muslims.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Derpitude

You're not getting the point. I'm not talking about all Christian women.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Even if it is, so what?

Who really cares?

Dogmatic adherents deserve what they get.

I worship nothing and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Nope. There are tons of Muslim women that have the choice. There are tons of Muslim women in Western countries that CHOOSE to wear their headgear.

I said "choice is the difference". What is the issue if they CHOOSE to wear it? I am not getting your point. I am a female and hate that some Muslim women are not afforded the choices a lot of us American women are, but I do not understand what you are looking for here. It is a choice and they choose to do it...why is that being oppressed?

Oppressed is NOT having a choice in the matter.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
So what happens if a nun is caught not wearing her robes?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Most nuns don't wear habits anymore, when I was young going to church we did have to wear a scarf, but not anymore, that was Catholic though, other churches don't have that rule, I wasn't Catholic BTW just went with a friend.

But anyway yea, some holiness churches discourage their women from cutting their hair and wearing slacks, sleeves must be to the wrist, skirts to the ankles, not many of those around but I know a few.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
My wife is a Christian, but she doesn't dress anything like that....

She also can drive, vote, wear whatever she wants, open a bank account - - - - - anything I can do.

And believe me, if she was oppressed,

I would hear about it.

Back to the drawing board, OP ?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Also, by your logic, the pope is oppressed!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derpitude
Not that I like religion, but you should probably consider the difference between a nun and a regular person who follows a faith.

Derp.

Women in general are over oppressed .. but lets not be too specific.. a lot of people are oppressed now days, your income level, your race, your color, your gender.. can all play roles.. we live in a society now where I'm judged because I shave my head and have tattoos ..one step forward and two steps back..

We need to stop basing things on appearance .. PERIOD .. and more on merit.. after all merit is what landed me as a professional in the first place... I outperformed my college counterparts.. I since got my college degree, thank you.. but at the beginning I still out performed those with book education because I learned in the field.. I out performed those who were text-book educated in disaster situations despite their perfectly combed, non tattooed selves...

And honestly the more crazy white folk go shoot things up.. the more I fear for my life as a people loving white person without hair and with tattoos.. I think geez.. am I gonna get jumped in retaliation for someone's stupidity?
edit on 8/15/2012 by miniatus because:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
My wife is a Christian, but she doesn't dress anything like that....

She also can drive, vote, wear whatever she wants, open a bank account - - - - - anything I can do.

And believe me, if she was oppressed,

I would hear about it.

Back to the drawing board, OP ?

I know you would!
Wives are like that... I know. I am one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Max_TO

I don't care either, they can wear whatever they wish. The topic is that no one is calling Nuns dress oppressive when it is exactly the same as Muslims.

Hmmm , so who is this " no one calling " person and what credentials do they have ?

For all we know the person was a pin head , or someone with an agenda . Based on that , and the lack of any credibil refrences backing up the claim of these " forced " clothing requirements I am left wondering why it should be spoken about in any other context then saying that we do have the right to express ourselves ,how we chose .

Are some women forced to wear certain clothing , sure , but that goes far past reliogus articles of clothing .

Sorry I just see this type of story as agenda based

I could be wrong , but that's how I see it .

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I am a christian lady and I wear long dresses and skirts.
Our children and grandchildren should never see our thighs.
I am heavy breasted and wear modest tops and blouses.I
try not to show too much cleavage.
I don't cover my hair with a scarf or a bonnet like the amish
though I have considered it.I don't wear makeup or even polish
my nails.I also don't wear jewelry or even a watch.I stopped
wearing heels and wear sensible shoes.
I also have a CCW and carry a .38 in my grandma size purse,
unless I am going to the goodwill store or post office

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join