It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweet dreams are made of these...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Originally posted by plube
If we have a dream in which we create an alternate reality....Does the alternate reality stay ...Or does it simply fade away during the awakening from the dream.
Once the dream reality has been made....will your alter self be able to survive in the construct?.
edit on 043131p://f23Thursday by plube because: (no reason given)

I think Dream is like theatre or film even.
Are films real is the play real?

The movie appears to be real but the seer is more real because without the movie being seen it has no validity.
So we can assume that the seer is real but if you go in search of the seer you will not find it.
Only the seeing is real.
All seeing, all knowing and everpresent.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by artistpoet

The light that you see in dreams is the same light you see now.
Except there is no you to see the light.
There is just the light of consciousness being seen, it is seen by no one.

All seeing, all knowing and everpresent.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

I agree - I have a different way of explaining than you is all
Light whether in dream or not is a manifestation of consciousness

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

The light does not come from the sun. The light you see in dreams has no physical sun. Because you are there, there is light.
Lift a rock and I am there, split a piece of wood and I am there. The presence of 'I am' is the presence of you and no light can appear without your presence. You are the light of consciousness.
You shine the light and you see the light.

Light does indeed come from the Sun regarding your statement "The light we see presently"
I am presently awake and it is daytime and I am not dreaming - Though in a poetic sense this life could be said to be as dream from which the soul will awaken.
Consciousness or awareness from A Universal perspective - sure nothing could exist without it.
Yet I am not the whole of all that is - I am an individual soul and connected to the bigger Soul if you like
We each have our own way

This is the belief that keeps you separate.

That belief is that- I am part of the whole and not the whole - being part of something is not being separate

If you do not feel complete then you are under the illusion that you are separate.
If you feel complete it is because you realize that you are the whole thing.
Only realizing that you are complete will set you free from mind made suffering.

People seek to complete themselves. Only when the seeking ceases will you know the kingdom.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube

Interesting point...but what happens when the film or the theatre is done...the people within the element move off to live their separate state of being out from the production of the movie or the play...the production stops...but the elements live.

Yes when we go see a good movie or play it stays with us - we contemplate it - we discuss it - perhaps as to it's meaning or message or emotions we felt.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

i am not talking about what we perceive from the production...I am talking about how the elements from within the production still exist even though the production has ended...a dream is produced...elements are created with in the dream structure...we wake....The elements from the dream production do not cease to exist...once the dream production is made...all the actors and elements within that dream production move into reality...not just in thought...but in time and space...a new physical existence.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I am happy to know I am a part of something greater
I do not believe You or any are the whole of everything

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

Whatever is appearing is the current configuration. The elements do not go anywhere, they just look different.
Nothing goes anywhere, it is all contained in this moment of presence.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I am the nothing that contains all things.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

Oh! Now I follow you
Even in this state we call awake - the elements of our body will return to the Universe upon death
Dust to dust ETC
All that remains is the soul and consciousness and the realms beyond.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

We don't "see" with the eyes. We receive light bounced off of objects with the eyes. We "see" with the brain.

Dreams are initially constructed by the brain, and the eyes are simply reacting out of instinct.

ETA: In hindsight, sorry for arguing semantics.
edit on 16-8-2012 by DeliriumAquarium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeliriumAquarium

We don't "see" with the eyes. We receive light bounced off of objects with the eyes. We "see" with the brain.

Dreams are initially constructed by the brain, and the eyes are simply reacting out of instinct.

ETA: In hindsight, sorry for arguing semantics.
edit on 16-8-2012 by DeliriumAquarium because: (no reason given)

No problem. I do it all the time. We actually see with both the eyes and brain. Unless you meant during sleep, in which you are correct.

I was speculating on why eyes move during REM. Could there be a connection between the brain and the retina or optic nerve during REM? Somehow offering vivid images?
edit on 16-8-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This is a little bit like the croquet ground in the story where Alice finds herself playing croquet with the Queen of Hearts. The arches are living cards that move around all the time. The mallets are flamingos and the balls are curled-up hedgehogs that can get back upon their legs and walk away. The questions that are not answered or not even formulated throughout the day are represented in the dream space. Here they ceaselessly reformulate the eternal problems and offer new solutions that are sometimes clear and, instead, sometimes enigmatic and contradictory...As for dreams, they might forever be a mystery.
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I could think of a few reasons.

The brain is still very active in REM state. So not all muscles may be fully "asleep"/paralyzed.

The need to shut down the muscles in the eye isn't very strong compared to those in the legs, arms, ect. Less chance of physical harm. Explains why lucid dreamers can move the eyes in dreams and in reality at the same time but can't do it with arms and legs.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DeliriumAquarium

That makes sense. But I was wondering what function REM has physiologically. I guess it's still all theory:

According to "scanning hypothesis" the directional properties of REM sleep eye movements are related to shifts of gaze in dream imagery. Against this hypothesis is that such eye movements occur in those born blind and in fetuses in spite of lack of vision. Also binocular REMs are non-conjugated and so lack a fixation point. In support, research finds that in goal-oriented dreams, eye gaze is directed towards the action described by the dreamer.[30]

Other theories are that they lubricate the cornea, warm the brain, stimulate and stabilize the neural circuits that have not been activated during waking, create internal stimulation to aid development of the CNS, or lack any purpose, being random creation of brain activation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I'm not sure (which I find embarrassing, being in my field and all!)

It seems more controlled research is needed.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This life is but a dream
One day we shall awaken and all will be crystal clear

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Or you could say it with brass!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

As it is possible to be consciously aware and "within" such micro areas to view memories and visions in transitions and flux, and flow,,, to first handedly experience a dream, which is being conscious of that tiny realm of imagination,,,,, do you think it is possible to be in a state ( in a dream perhaps) in which you are conscious and viewing the actual inner mechanisms of your mind? what ever that conscious concentration is that allows, "what you are", to view microscopic data represented with color and movement and definition and emotion,,,,, do you think with that same conscious internal awareness, it is possible to view real physical, and micro, compartments and mechanisms of the brain?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
This is a little bit like the croquet ground in the story where Alice finds herself playing croquet with the Queen of Hearts. The arches are living cards that move around all the time. The mallets are flamingos and the balls are curled-up hedgehogs that can get back upon their legs and walk away. The questions that are not answered or not even formulated throughout the day are represented in the dream space. Here they ceaselessly reformulate the eternal problems and offer new solutions that are sometimes clear and, instead, sometimes enigmatic and contradictory...As for dreams, they might forever be a mystery.
peace,sugarcookie1

Awesome!! thanks for the reply sugar cookie!! sweet dreams to you.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I can't wrap my head around the fact that when I fill my iPod up with all this heavy 70's
music, it doesn't weigh anything more than it did when it was empty. Perhaps, it is not too different than your question here.

It reminds me of the movies where a whole world or universe exists in a snowflake or a marble. Perhaps the infrastructure of a reality no matter how big, or how long it lasts may be translated into something that can fit into the tiniest particle or spark. Time may be malleable as well, to be condensed as needed.

Perhaps size and length are in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps we have magically created a world where magic does not exist. Reality is a fairy tale and we take ourselves and our world way too seriously. Perhaps we are a very boring and uneventful lot that exists in the twitch of a dream by a mangy old chained up dog somewhere in the Nevada desert...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join