It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonoid Taken Down By Ukrainian Government; Domains For Sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

n late July, the BitTorrent website Demonoid was taken down after what seemed to be a DDoS attack, but the story now seems to be more elaborate and political. The site was removed from its Ukrainian server around the time of Deputy Prime Minister Valery Khoroshkovsky's diplomatic trip to the United States.

When users couldn't access Demonoid, it was reported that the failure was a result of a distributed denial of service, a measure taken to target one system with multiple compromised systems, usually infected with a Trojan, causing a denial of service attack. Torrent Freak says reports coming out of Ukraine, where Demonoid is hosted, are that the DDoS isn't all that's going on here and "the site has been busted by the authorities."

Demonoid is hosted on ColoCALL, which is the largest data center in Ukraine. During the DDoS attack, Ukranian government investigators went to ColoCALL to shut down Demnoid.

www.ibtimes.com...

This means that the RIAA and other powers are making progress in the war against file sharers. It's a shame, really. They have lots of money to throw at the system and that seems to be what works more than anything else.

But the biggest mistake Demonoid made was that it REQUIRED people to share their files. That is how the big companies get file shares, because that it how the companies prove they have a financial loss.

More than likely they will also go after anybody else connected to Demonoid, in order to make an example of them.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This was already posted, anyways why would the Ukraine do this they barely have enough money to buy originality. Somethings smells fishy about this.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BacknTime

I did a search and didn't find anything on it. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I mean this one is better though because you gave out more information than the other ones

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

But the biggest mistake Demonoid made was that it REQUIRED people to share their files. That is how the big companies get file shares, because that it how the companies prove they have a financial loss.

More than likely they will also go after anybody else connected to Demonoid, in order to make an example of them.

im a little confused, all private trackers require its users to seed (share) what they download. they usually have to maintain a 1:1 ratio as in upload as much as you download. then you can stop "sharing" the file. If not there will be hundreds of dead torrents, and most torrents will have slow download speeds. Take a look at the pirate bay for example.

HOw does that prove they have a financial loss or anything to do with that?? Demonoid isnt a company and trying to make money. They user all their ad revenue, and donations for server costs. They were one of the largest private trackers, so i wouldnt be surprised if they made money off the adds some months

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I thought this was a thread about a demon being killed by a government agency. Then, I realized it was just another thread about people wanting to steal other people's work.
Bummer.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by braydenf

Not demonoid having a financial loss, the record companies having a financial loss. You might want to take a look at this blog to find out how they do it:

blog.ted.com...

And Demonoid does require you to share files to, that's what the ratio they have is for. A ration of 1:1 is good, anything else is bad. They would ban people who have ratios that are too low.

And seeding is just another way of distributing.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by braydenf

Not demonoid having a financial loss, the record companies having a financial loss. You might want to take a look at this blog to find out how they do it:

blog.ted.com...

And Demonoid does require you to share files to, that's what the ratio they have is for. A ration of 1:1 is good, anything else is bad. They would ban people who have ratios that are too low.

And seeding is just another way of distributing.

i think i see what you're saying, them having so many people sharing, is how the companies can prove their is a financial loss?
and i know what seeding means lol i used it in my post.
edit on 15-8-2012 by braydenf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join