It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deer killing bugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I just heard today via word of mouth that apparently there are these bugs biting deer and the population is dying on Stone Mountain, North Carolina. A friends mom heard it on the news... but I can't find any information anywhere online. Is there anyone out there that can help me find this? Does anyone have any thoughts? Dicuss...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by uberangel

I read about the deer somewhere getting bit by something like noseeums and dying off. It may be the same place. They are dying off in Lower Michigan somewhere also from some sort disease passed from bugs I think.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
here..read this..

is this what you are talking about?

mtairynews.com...

Hemorrhagic disease results from an infectious virus transmitted by tiny biting flies or gnats known as midges, sand gnats, sand flies or no-see-ums. It is a fairly common disease of white-tailed deer in the southeastern United States, with outbreaks reported more frequently from August until October, when freezing weather dampens the midge population.

edit on 14-8-2012 by baddmove because: added words

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I was expecting to see a deer killing bugs with its hooves or tail.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

That's too common, he had to show the bugs revenge for the deer killing their relatives.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

here
same story as posted above different source
edit on 8/14/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Wow, I didn't realize it was so widespread... I hope it doesn't mutate or affect humans...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
here..read this..

is this what you are talking about?

mtairynews.com...

Hemorrhagic disease results from an infectious virus transmitted by tiny biting flies or gnats known as midges, sand gnats, sand flies or no-see-ums. It is a fairly common disease of white-tailed deer in the southeastern United States, with outbreaks reported more frequently from August until October, when freezing weather dampens the midge population.

edit on 14-8-2012 by baddmove because: added words

Quite possibly... great find!!! Thank you much...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Google is your friend...it's all over the news...

RALEIGH, N.C. – At least 20 white-tailed deer have died in the area of Stone Mountain State Park in a suspected outbreak of hemorrhagic disease, the result of a virus that does not pose a danger to humans, according to the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation.

It's biting gnats or midges...tiny biting flies...

myfox8.com...

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

here
same story as posted above different source
edit on 8/14/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

Thanks
I guess I need to look up hemorrhagic disease... it sounds familiar. I hope this doesn't spread among humans or our food supplies...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

This is a paranormal study if ive ever heard one

They're called Deer Ticks and you get Lyme's Disease if bitten by an affected one.

Mike

Des: I stand corrected...
edit on 14-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: nvm

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Usually I have no trouble finding things on Google... but this wasn't easy for me for some reason. Maybe I'm just too tired....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberangel

Usually I have no trouble finding things on Google... but this wasn't easy for me for some reason. Maybe I'm just too tired....

It's OK...at least you can tell your Mom they pose no threat to humans. She'll probably feel better after you do.

Des

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsyMike91

This is a paranormal study if ive ever heard one

They're called Deer Ticks and you get Lyme's Disease if bitten by an affected one.

Mike

No, not that... that's not unusual. I'm used to hearing about that. In fact I've known people to have it. Thanks for the sarcasm though
*ahem* Constructive criticism is better than sarcasm...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Lol... my Mom is a bit paranoid....

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Isn't ebola a hemorrhagic disease?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Yep look it up under EBOLA....HEMORRAGIC FEVERS ETC

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Well, it does effect humans. Venison is a good emergency food. It is also a good source of high quality proteins and elastins for strong muscles. The drawback is the type of cholesterol in it can cause artery problems if overeaten. Anything that effects our foodchain effects humans. If this starts to effect our livestock we are in major trouble.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Hey, Y'all. I'm North Carolina born and bred...this thing isn't uncommon, we have cases of it every year. It seems that the media locally isn't taking as much of interest in it as the wider media view. hahah.

new topics

top topics

join