It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

600,000 Rounds of .40 Cal ammo for the Capitol Police.....Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
So, I was catching up on my Urban Survival website when I read this:

Urgent Update: 600,000 Rounds to Capitol Police! I must not be reading this Federal Bid right: WTF do Capitol Police need 600,000 rounds of .40 cal for? I quote from the Federal web site: "The United States Capitol Police, Training Services Bureau has a requirement to procure the following Ammunitions: 1. (600) 165 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point, 40 S&W, 1,000/Case - 53970; NOTE: Ship in 2 equal shipments of 300,000 rds each. The first delivery no later than September 30, 2012 and second delivery no later than December 30, 2012." Something's going on - and we're still digging... But'cha know, for an administration that is down on gun control for The People, seems like a lot of .40 cal to be3 buying.... we continue our looking...

Really??
And here is the link to the Federal Website where you can see the document for yourself:

GSA Document

I can only imagine the purpose behind ordering this much ammo for the Capitol Police. But my imagination tends to run away with me!
Some of you more level-headed folk should be able to come up with some reasonable answers!

What are some of the purposes we could logically assume that they would need this much ammo, this fast... and I do mean fast. The first shipment of 300,000 rounds is to be delivered by Sept. 30!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hopefully they are just buying in bulk to save taxpayer money and the rounds are for training purposes.

One good thing here: The second delivery is scheduled for no later than Dec. 30th. Maybe that means the government is not too worried about Dec 21st.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

i wonder how often they order ammunition. and i wonder what quantities they order when they do. it is possible that they order this much ammo at regular intervals.

just a guess.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Guess I should also mention this little item, too. The National Weather Service is requiring 40,000 rounds of ammo, as well.

Guess those tornadoes can be stopped with a bullet now, huh?

Linky-Link to GSA Document

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
The second delivery is scheduled for no later than Dec. 30th. Maybe that means the government is not too worried about Dec 21st.

Thats a good point. Glad someone caught that.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
Guess I should also mention this little item, too. The National Weather Service is requiring 40,000 rounds of ammo, as well.

40,000-600,000 is a big difference.
Probably nothing, they would not announce it and if they knew something was coming the military would probably provide them with gear.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Another thing I been thinking is they might have this if you can't beat em join em attitude. Maybe they figure that if they purchase enough ammo they can stop the average consumer from purchasing ammo due to back orders?
Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by subfab

Hopefully they are just buying in bulk to save taxpayer money and the rounds are for training purposes.

Wait, is this the same GSA that is all over the news for their ridiculous spending practices? So they are probably not being frugal!

But as SubFab said, it may not be that unusual. I will have to go and see if I can find out how often and how much ammo they order normally.

link   
I would assume they purchased that much to save $$. I would also assume much of that ammo will go to training purposes. I know I can go through thousands of rounds of ammo in a couple hours at the range. I'm not sure how many officers the Capitol Police on their rolls but 600,000 rounds of ammo may not last that long.

link   
reply to post by subfab

I don't know, but I need to search and find out!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
600,000 rounds. OK. How many police are on the rolls? 1800. If you divide the amount by the number of officers, that's a bit over 300 rounds apiece. I do not think this amount is outrageous. I went through 300 rounds a day at my last training class.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

That is true. It Doesn't seem too excessive put that way.

However...... going back in the archives of GSA Archives

I can't seem to find any other orders like this. Maybe I don't know where to look?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Target Practice....Yikes

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
600,000 rounds. OK. How many police are on the rolls? 1800. If you divide the amount by the number of officers, that's a bit over 300 rounds apiece. I do not think this amount is outrageous. I went through 300 rounds a day at my last training class.

Yep, much ado about nothing UNLESS one considers the type of ammo they are purchasing. Normally for range work one uses cheap FMJ, it appears this order is for 165 gr. Speer gold dots, a rather decent expanding hollow point ammunition.
edit on 14-8-2012 by smokenmirrors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by smokenmirrors

Yep, much ado about nothing UNLESS one considers the type of ammo they are purchasing. Normally for range work one uses cheap FMJ, it appears this order is for 165 gr. Speer gold dots, a rather decent expanding hollow point ammunition.

^^^^This^^^^ along with the fact that I cannot see any other such large orders before now makes me wonder......

Or maybe I am just not looking in the right place.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35

I'd say simply not to fear what you don't understand, I take it you're not a shooter so anything firearms related probably scares you. I don't know why my wife has 63 pairs of shoes, but I'm sure theres a reason. For what its worth I go through about 2 1/2 cases of pistol ammo yearly. (2,500 rounds) If you add rifle, shotgun & .22.. I endo up going through roughly 4,000 rounds.

It depends on what the agency's training & operational schedules are like too. I don't know many agencies that buy ammo yearly, they usually put in bulk orders and re order once they get down to a certain amount. If thwy don't spend all of their funding in the budget for the year, it'll get reduced next year.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I love geroge and I've been going to urban survival for years. I apologize for wandering in your topic but I had to tell you I was taken by surprise by this thread and Gorge.

Last week he asked for the link to Mitchell Coombes FB account. He didn't spell the guys name right so I'm assuming that's why he couldn't find it. What disappointed me was that he didn't seem to re-search Mitchell at all...a simple Google search would have given him what he wanted and the correct spelling on the name.

I don't like to see anyone getting emails on something and doing little to research the facts. I'm not accussing George of this but had he done the search he would have never asked for the guys FB page.

I haven't read today's post and yesterday's didn't mention Mitchell so I'm assuming he took the info I gave him and decided against posting that werid situation.

Sometimes George seems a little gullible or (?) because the things I or ATS knows hasn't caught up to him and he'll run w/ a story that's been debunked.

Anyways...I do appreciate all the good things that himself and cliff do for the public. I appreciate those that are willing to step on the ledge to save me. ;0)

Did I mention I despise all the changes to Urban Surv? Almost all of them. Maybe it's a way to get the freebies to pay.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Well, I don't buy shoes, but I did get a .410 rifle for my 12th birthday, and a Russian SKS Assault Rifle for my 21st.

Yeah, I am a redneck gal.
As such, the use of firearms was introduced very early to me. I am not afraid of them when I have them!

None of that has anything to do with my lack of knowledge of how many rounds of ammo the Capitol Police or the National Weather service buy every year, tho does it?

edit on 8/14/12 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
this seems to be a common thing,, mass purchase of guns and ammunition by government peoples
NOAA has made a similar inquiries

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I guess all the alphabet govt angencies are stocking up,

Link from a Alex Jones article about The national weather service aquiring mass rounds also.
LINK

Why in the hell would they need ammo????
edit on 14-8-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join