It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF Considering to change it's name..Ain't that great!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Firearms Bureau Struggles to Define Its Role

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives brings fewer than a hundred alcohol and tobacco cases a year. It now plays second fiddle to the Federal Bureau of Investigation on explosives. And its skill at catching firearms violators is in doubt after the flawed probe known as Fast and Furious.

No wonder the agency's boss is looking to reinvent it, and maybe even change its name

Sure it has nothing to do with the criminal act's of gun running and murder of US. and Mexican nationals.

The ATF is a Washington oddity, stitched together in the 1970s from units going back to the age of Prohibition. Gun-rights supporters are wary of it, yet they are also loath to see firearms regulation move to the FBI.

So the ATF is just a dinosaur left over from the prohibition stupidity, and has done nothing but create more stupidity since it's inception.

So the ATF survives, and acting director B. Todd Jones has to figure out what to do with it. "We're the entity that everyone loves to hate," said the 55-year-old former Marine.

Gee I wonder why "everyone loves to hate" the ATF whose most apt description is the gestapo.

Hence an idea discussed by top ATF officials: ditching the agency's anachronistic seven-word name and rebranding it the Violent Crime Bureau

And here we are to the point of this thread creation they are considering to change its name to all things "violent crime bureau".

Considering all the violence and crime created by them the name fits like a glove.

online.wsj.com...

What say you ATS?

edit on 14-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Instead of re-inventing itself and justifying its existence, why not close it down?

Save money.

Spend less on redudant government agencies.

Of course that is common sense, so I'd like to apologise for even bringing it up.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by neo96

I say that your perspective on this is so biased, .....

True I have no love for the people who can deny people their constitutional rights without a second thought as congressional approval.

Or those who make a legal citizen wait months for anything firearm related, and whose power extends to common pyrotechnics used in hobbies yeah I do have a bias.

Why shouldn't people but when those people who are supposedly "in charge" with the safety and security of the people who arm criminals, and then turn around and treat the law abiding citizen as if they are a criminal.
edit on 14-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Aug 14 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: rest of quote removed by staff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It is not uncommon for an amusement park to rename a roller coaster after it has crashed and killed some people.
It is also not uncommon for a corporation to change its name after its policy has gotten some folks killed.
Welcome to the corporate states of America!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by neo96

It is not uncommon for an amusement park to rename a roller coaster after it has crashed and killed some people.
It is also not uncommon for a corporation to change its name after its policy has gotten some folks killed.

It's not just corporations.

Didn't ACORN change its name so it could still receive government funds?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Wait... I thought that local police and the FBI already dealt with violent crimes? Hell even the neighborhood watch keeps their eyes open for violent crimes....

I wonder if we're going to simply see an redefinition of "violent" to include "hate crimes" or maybe even "unpatriotic activities" or some such.

In my opinion, after Waco the ATF should have been gutted anyway.

Just my .02 cents.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Well, I can kinda see the problem of being an enforcement agency named "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms & Explosives" when all of these are more or less legal by definition

I could understand if they were named, "Moonshinin', Methamphetamines, Fully-Automatic Weapons & Grenades" but ...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by neo96

It's not just corporations.

Didn't ACORN change its name so it could still receive government funds?

Acorn, ain't that the little rapper guy?
Yeah I think he was Lil Acorn then he got a little older and wanted to look cool or something.

/silly
Yep even people change names to find a new persona.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

That's what I've always joked and wondered about.
At almost all times Alcohol, tobacco and firearms have been in my home legally.
I abhor explosives though, they cannot discriminate between friend or foe, adult or children.
Star to ya.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Not to nit pick but how do alcohol, tobacco or firearms discriminate between them? Its the safe practice of these things that discriminates. Why is tobacco on this list again?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
reply to post by g146541

Not to nit pick but how do alcohol, tobacco or firearms discriminate between them? Its the safe practice of these things that discriminates. Why is tobacco on this list again?

Well, I guess if you ask the right politician or lobbyist, they'd use some figure and make a way to show how tobacco has killed more people than war, drunk drivers, tornadoes, and the plague combined.

These things are wmd's!!!

I'ma go light another and browse the forums.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Instead of re-inventing itself and justifying its existence, why not close it down?

Save money.

Spend less on redudant government agencies.

Of course that is common sense, so I'd like to apologise for even bringing it up.

I came in to say this, oh well star for you buddy.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I believe the name, "Blackwater" is available...

top topics

join