It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Curiosity has gone curiously dark? No new raw photos for 5 days now...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
rt is carrying a story that nasa is asking can anonymous hack the rover rt news mars rover hack 675 ?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Perhaps I was premature but it is now Wednesday afternoon and no updates...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

No image updates, but there have been news updates. The software installation is done, but they are still going through equipment checks. They haven't driven yet, either, and the wheels will be checked out before proceeding with a drive.

"We have successfully completed the brain transplant," said Curiosity Mission Manager Mike Watkins of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. "Now we are moving on to a new phase of functional checkouts of the science instruments and preparations for a short test drive."

The first drive, possibly within a week or so, will likely include short forward and reverse segments and a turn. Curiosity has a separate drive motor on each of its six wheels and steering motors on the four corner wheels. Preparation and testing of the motor controllers will precede the first drive.

After the test drive, the planning schedule has an "intermission" before a second testing phase focused on use of the rover's robotic arm. For the intermission, the 400-member science team will have the opportunity to pick a location for Curiosity to drive to before the arm-testing weeks.

Source

Have they already posted an entire 360-panorama of where they are sitting, or are there more hi-res images not yet posted of that area?

edit on 8/15/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
Think people. Software update? How does that remotely make sense? Just downloading updates over the internet frequently results in corruptions, incomplete file transfers, and buff buff buffering problems. We are supposed to believe they have to "update software" remotely (to say the least) just days after landing?

Before they flash the eprom, the check the checksum MD5....

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
The curiosity rover, last I heard.. was in the middle of performing a software update that will take 4 days to complete.. which isn't yet finished.. the software is to aid in navigating the surface I do believe..

www.computerworld.com...

NASA's Mars Curiosity rover is three-quarters of the way through a major software upgrade NASA has dubbed a "brain transplant."

The four-day software upgrade started Saturday and, if all goes as planned, should wrap up by Tuesday afternoon. So far all has gone exactly as planned, said Guy Webster, a spokesman for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).

I doubt it can do much during it's "brain transplant" ..

The update began Saturday so that coincides with 3 days without updates.
edit on 8/14/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

Why does it need a software update after being on the ground for such a short amount of time? What's this thing guided by, Windows?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain
Why does it need a software update after being on the ground for such a short amount of time? What's this thing guided by, Windows?

Because when it landed, the computer was still optimized for spaceflight and landing. Now that it has landed, the computer can be optimized for roving.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

No image updates, but there have been news updates. The software installation is done, but they are still going through equipment checks. They haven't driven yet, either, and the wheels will be checked out before proceeding with a drive.

"We have successfully completed the brain transplant," said Curiosity Mission Manager Mike Watkins of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. "Now we are moving on to a new phase of functional checkouts of the science instruments and preparations for a short test drive."

The first drive, possibly within a week or so, will likely include short forward and reverse segments and a turn. Curiosity has a separate drive motor on each of its six wheels and steering motors on the four corner wheels. Preparation and testing of the motor controllers will precede the first drive.

After the test drive, the planning schedule has an "intermission" before a second testing phase focused on use of the rover's robotic arm. For the intermission, the 400-member science team will have the opportunity to pick a location for Curiosity to drive to before the arm-testing weeks.

Source

Have they already posted an entire 360-panorama of where they are sitting, or are there more hi-res images not yet posted of that area?

edit on 8/15/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

That was posted yesterday but I wont quibble. Seems like the dark dunes to the south might be really interesting though. Actually looks like curiousity might be in a little dark patch itself.
edit on 15-8-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain

Because when it landed, the computer was still optimized for spaceflight and landing. Now that it has landed, the computer can be optimized for roving.

In addition, the roving software was still being written when the rover launched.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Day 7...

Although I do hope Curiosity is ok!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Day 7...

There is no reason to think it isn't. They are still going through all of the post-landing testing procedures. This was planned. Even before the landing, they said it may even take ten days of testing after touchdown to even start driving the rover, and to start the actual science part of the mission.

Even that first panoramic mosaic was simply a test of the camera system. The camera was pre-programmed to take those pictures upon deployment of the mast cam as part of the testing process. It also served the purpose to see part of the rover;s surroundings, but it was still part of the testing procedures, which was planned to take several days.

There are many important systems on the rover that need to be checked out before the actual science mission can begin -- and it isn't all about the pictures, anyway. The pictures are more of a way for the scientists to find things to study with their suite of other advanced analysis instruments. Even in the future, once the science mission actually begins, a lack of images would not necessarily mean a lack of science being done.

edit on 8/16/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Day 7...

There is no reason to think it isn't. They are still going through all of the post-landing testing procedures. This was planned. Even before the landing, they said it may even take ten days of testing after touchdown to even start driving the rover, and to start the actual science part of the mission.

Even that first panoramic mosaic was simply a test of the camera system. The camera was pre-programmed to take those pictures upon deployment of the mast cam as part of the testing process. It also served the purpose to see part of the rover;s surroundings, but it was still part of the testing procedures, which was planned to take several days.

There are many important systems on the rover that need to be checked out before the actual science mission can begin -- and it isn't all about the pictures, anyway. The pictures are more of a way for the scientists to find things to study with their suite of other advanced analysis instruments. Even in the future, once the science mission actually begins, a lack of images would not necessarily mean a lack of science being done.

edit on 8/16/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

After getting some much needed time to catch up on some reading I see the MSL Curiosity is a much, much different rover than Spirt or Oppertunity. I thought it was very similar with some upgrades and larger. Which explains why those two pretty much hit the ground running!

Thanks for the imput and I don't mean to sound like a total rube I was just not informed as much about this mission.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
Think people. Software update? How does that remotely make sense? Just downloading updates over the internet frequently results in corruptions, incomplete file transfers, and buff buff buffering problems. We are supposed to believe they have to "update software" remotely (to say the least) just days after landing?

Yes, that's right.
It's main software that it had when it landed was made for it's flight/ landing.
But once on the surface.. It will never need much of that programming again, but instead will need new/different software to help it navigate the surface better.
One program for landing, and another program to get it around mars.

I don't care much for NASA, and I know they lie about a ton of shiz...

But this actually does make sense. I AM THINKING. lol
YOU Think. K?

and P.S... Nasa isnt using the same "dial-up" that you are.

and not even using the same "internet" that we are. lol

edit on 16-8-2012 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

...Thanks for the imput and I don't mean to sound like a total rube I was just not informed as much about this mission.

I never thought you did sound like a rube

By the way, there is a press teleconference (an audio press conference) tomorrow at 1:30 PM EDT (1730 UTC):

NASA to Host Curiosity Rover Teleconference Aug. 17

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

...Thanks for the imput and I don't mean to sound like a total rube I was just not informed as much about this mission.

I never thought you did sound like a rube

By the way, there is a press teleconference (an audio press conference) tomorrow at 1:30 PM EDT (1730 UTC):

Nah I said it not you. No worries. I really should have read a bit before starting this post but it did have me worried or at least thinking they found something really cool and didn't want to share...other than blurry photos!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Just a reminder that the "Curiosity" telephone press conference is starting shortly:

Link to NASA audio stream (no video):
www.nasa.gov...

and visual aids ti be used during the telecon:
www.nasa.gov...

UPDATE: It's 1:36 EDT, and it hasn't started yet (at least the link isn't showing that it started)

edit on 8/17/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

anybody know anything about this story ? nasa asking anonomous to hack the rover rt news story ?
edit on 17/8/12 by geobro because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join