It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British expedition to Pacific 'treasure island' where pirates buried their plunder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Ahhh...which forum do I post this in? It's the 'Treasure of Lima', so perhaps this one works.

As a lay archaeologist, I have strong principals regarding the digging up of relics but I've always been subject to the lure of pirate loot. Blame the treasure maps that used to come in a box of Shreddies cereal...but I digress.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one:

A British explorer is heading to a deserted Pacific “treasure island” where nineteenth century pirates are said to have stashed a multi million pound hoard of gold, silver and jewellery stolen from the Spanish.

Shaun Whitehead is leading an archaeological expedition to Cocos Island, the supposed hiding place of the “Treasure of Lima” – one of the world’s most fabled missing treasures.

The haul – said to be worth £160 million – was stolen by a British trader, Captain William Thompson, in 1820 after he was entrusted to transport it from Peru to Mexico. link

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Sean Whitehead!!! Wah??

I thought he was fully comitted to project Djedi in the great pyramid.... seems that may have gone quiet after all the promises then?

Annoying.... interesting story this though... reminds me on "the money pit".... another apparent stash of pirate treasure seemingly cunningly concealed....

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for posting.

PA
edit on 14-8-2012 by PerfectAnomoly because: Added link

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thanks, got the intro tune of the muppet treasure island now lodged in my brain

but personally i doubt any archaeologist would have any qualms about digging it up since its only context is that its nearly 200 years since it was buried as pirate booty so a few photos/gps locations and job done once you get it back on your ship and raise the jolly roger

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
interesting story this though... reminds me on "the money pit".... another apparent stash of pirate treasure seemingly cunningly concealed....
en.wikipedia.org...
One of my personal favourites, and I've offered comment on Oak Island elsewhere on this site.

top topics

join