It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selling your soul to the devil

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
So the last couple of nights on Comedy Central have mentioned selling souls to the devil. First the Roseanne Roast had a short clip about her selling her soul at a young age, she goes into it more in an interview for Craig Furguson including about how she summoned Satan.

Then last night on Colbert the band "Fun." also mentioned selling their soul to the devil. This idea comes up more and more, I see it all the time. I'm sure others could list examples.

I remember Robert Johnson (member of the 27 club) and how he sold his soul to the devil on the crossroads. Eric Clapton did a cover version of his song about the experience called Crossroads. After his '36-'37 recordings Robert Johnson arguably created Rock and Roll music.

Before that was Faust, the german myth from the late 1500s with roots earlier.

Even if this is just an symbolic deal, the whole idea of it is repugnant to being a true artist. What do you guys think? Sorry if this has been discussed to death

[edit] Also it was mentioned that Roseanne has multiple personalities, which is indicative of brainwashing.
edit on 814/2012 by revswim because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by revswim

You know, I'd never heard of Led Zeppelin until a member told me about him the other day... Since that day, I've read the name at least 3 times a day!!

How freaky.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If someone wants to sell their soul to a mythical creature that only exists in their minds, then who can stop them? Billions of people do it, be it god, jesus, satan, whatever. But I dont think this is really how it works.

From my understanding, selling your soul to the devil is choosing the path that means you get as high up the ladder as you can by any means necessary. They will steal from others, manipulate others, and basically just crap all over people to achieve their goal. Look at how many talentless idiots are riding high off other people's, or their own sub-standard work.

Its not just artists that do this, its pretty much anyone in any industry. Its why the world is such a mess, people are more focused on their own success and dont care who they screw along the way. Greed. Its an unfortunate part of human nature.
edit on 14-8-2012 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

How do you know these artists are not just screwing with people though? Its a good way to get attention, which is one thing these performers all crave.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Of course it's possible to sell your soul.

How else do you explain Nicki Minaj getting a record deal?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'd sell my soul for a long, healthy life and a constant supply of weed, so if anyone has tips on this, please let me know.

Rev

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

talks about a little boy who did it when he was sick

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by revswim

Even if this is just an symbolic deal, the whole idea of it is repugnant to being a true artist. What do you guys think? Sorry if this has been discussed to death

I don't think it is possible to literally sell your soul to the devil, but it definitely is possible to sacrifice everything and everyone in your path as you follow a dream tenaciously and let nothing stop you. In that case the dream is the devil, and it is not repugnant to being a true artist, it is that pure dedication and sacrifice that defines a true artist.

The people that exceed at high levels in one area often sacrifice a lot in all the other areas of their life. They are often miserable by the time they die, alone, alcohol and drugs to soften the repercussions of their actions.

The public usually admires these traits, and we don't mind that they sacrificed themselves to the devil of their art, and their own relentless pursuit of perfection. We enjoy it, use them up, let them die, and look for the next one to entertain us.

We are the devil, and they do it for us.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by revswim

By the way, you may mean Eric Clapton, Cream.....not the Zep. However they did have a few tunes along those lines.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
An interesting song...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

thank you, I dont know what I was thinking

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
reply to post by daaskapital

How do you know these artists are not just screwing with people though? Its a good way to get attention, which is one thing these performers all crave.

I do not know if all of these artists are screwing with people, the same as the fact that you don't know that they could actually be serious.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by revswim

Thats ok. Their was a famous blues guy, cant get his name right now. He did "Backdoor Man" which was covered by the Doors. Well this guys mom thought his music was right from the devil and wouldnt even go to her sons funeral when he passes saying that her son did the devils music.

edit on 14-8-2012 by Logarock because: p

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
i heard that the devils credit line is maxed out, its currency is toilet paper and its been unloading souls for pennies on the dollar for the last 6 years.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by revswim

Thats ok. Their was a famous blues guy, cant get his name right now.

edit on 14-8-2012 by Logarock because: p

I think you mean Howlin' Wolf (Chester Arthur Burnett)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Wow never saw that Bob Dylan interview, gave me goosebumps. When Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Jay-Z etc. talk about selling their soul, I agree it could be agrued that they are doing it for the attention, but Bob really sounds sincere and almost troubled/ashamed, I don't think he likes "his part of the deal" much anymore...

reply to post by revswim

Poor guy. What I find scary is the fact that a 13 year old kid convinced him to sell his soul ("join the club")...

I do believe in the soul, but I'm skeptical to the whole "selling" of it, as you ARE the soul... I think there is truth in it though, possibly certain energies can be manipulated for negative and positive, affecting your "destiny", but actually selling your soul, I don't know, maybe it's more like giving it away, but there's a "contract" that allows you to get it back anyway, if only you realize and want it.

I'm not big into the idea of an actual satan figure, but he's supposed to be a liar, so why would he tell anyone that they can get their soul back if they want to?... Perhaps that is how it works, he tricks you into believing you owe him something, while in reality, you never did...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by revswim

Robert Johnson actually...devil still lives around those parts last I checked.

however, what the devil is able to pay for a soul probably won't cover the cost of getting to the crossroads.
edit on 14-8-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
i heard that the devils credit line is maxed out, its currency is toilet paper and its been unloading souls for pennies on the dollar for the last 6 years.

Well, with so many souls flooding in unsolicited, he probably has the same over-crowding problems that the prisons, and the earth has.

Why would the devil pay a premium for any soul? I don't think he is lacking for support.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I dont know if I believe in a literal devil, my guess is some of these people have been manipulated into thinking it was the devil or something else all powerful. Then instead of half assing it for the record company you feel the need to stay to their standard since someone bigger than them is watching over. Maybe an illuminati type of group appears to them as the devil in order to gain complete control.

Or maybe it's the real devil. Or maybe it's figurative. I don't know, thats the main reason I'm asking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join