It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Romans 1:22

I've heard this from Christians against those who are "smart"

Those scholars, scientists, mathematicians, philosophers, etc.

Those who "truly understand and yet became fools (or stupid)".

Well one question.... who made them smart and have the ability to understand?

It's like this....

God made people and he separate people into few groups

this group understands that 2 + 2 = 4.

The other group doesn't understand that and become hostile.

Who are the fools?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

They became fools in that they exalted their wisdom ...

It's not that their intelligence was suddenly diminished; it's how they used their intelligence that caused them to become fools.

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." 2 Corinthians 11:3

We esteem the mind over all else - that's the problem. We should esteem truth above all else.

"Condemnation before investigation is the height of ignorance"

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

And those who TRULY understand?

Again, who made them to really understand?

How many foolish scientists do you know or hear about?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

Who are the fools?

ANSWER: Those who use a fictional book to call others fools.

Its a book written by man, inspired by man, peddled by man, that is jam-packed with absurdities, contradictions, and total BS.

Only GRADE-A level fools would use the material from a fictional asinine book to support their argument that others are "fools".

Those such people are the ones who are fools.

edit on 14-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

those who do not ask the better question but seek the better answer.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

That's another subject but yeah.

This is directed at Christians and hence a conspiracy in religion.

Who made some people fools and some people "smart"?

Who are truly the fools?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I think it's kinda how jesus was being questioned by the most high priest(s) / those who where in charge (which where the so called most learned/wisest) but didn't believe jesus words of truths and called him a liar and so on.

In their eyes Jesus (with cheap cloths), no title was not worthy in the eyes of those (with big ego's) who became so sure about themself they didn't even listen to him.

Perhaps you see something similar with the money crisis going on. Only listening (the government(s) to those with big wealth/power/banks big corps, which interest is mostly in self interest? Even (after) when they caused the crisis, they still have the biggest say in the matter?
edit on 14-8-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
You can know that a tomato is a fruit (wisdom) but when you put it into a fruit salad - you're a fool

But really ... it's the misuse and exaltation of knowledge and not a lack of knowledge that makes us fools.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Let's put that back into context and take another look:

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. (Romans 1:21-25 NIV)

Surrounded by the statements that Paul is making, do you still think that the passage is decrying intelligence or wisdom? For me, it is decrying the arrogance that allowed the people that Paul is talking about to determine for themselves that idols were better than God, even though they knew him.

It isn't intelligence that says "I know God, but I think doing my own thing is better", it is arrogance.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

We esteem the mind over all else - that's the problem. We should esteem truth above all else.

And how to you find truth? To me, it's found through a discerning mind after studying the factors and aspects of data, and then coming to a logical conclusion. It's certainly not found in blind faith to written words of a 2000+ year old book of myths.

Originally posted by followtheevidence
You can know that a tomato is a fruit (wisdom) but when you put it into a fruit salad - you're a fool

But really ... it's the misuse and exaltation of knowledge and not a lack of knowledge that makes us fools.

Obviously, you have never had watermelon and tomato salad!

YUM!

5 cups (3/4-inch) seeded watermelon cubes $
1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes $
3 teaspoons sugar $
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil $
Romaine lettuce leaves (optional) $
Cracked black pepper to taste
Preparation

1. Combine watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl; sprinkle with sugar and salt, tossing to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
2. Stir in onion, vinegar, and oil. Cover and chill 2 hours. Serve chilled with lettuce leaves, if desired. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper to taste. www.myrecipes.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Romans 1:22

I've heard this from Christians against those who are "smart"

Those scholars, scientists, mathematicians, philosophers, etc.

Those who "truly understand and yet became fools (or stupid)".

Well one question.... who made them smart and have the ability to understand?

It's like this....

God made people and he separate people into few groups

this group understands that 2 + 2 = 4.

The other group doesn't understand that and become hostile.

Who are the fools?

So Christians equal dumb and Scientist equal smart in your perception?
What if the scientist do not understand something the Christians understand because they choose to ignore it even dogmaticly like the Christians dogmaticly ignores the scientists? Are not both sides fools if they are smallmindedly following indoctrionation and will not go and experiance everything reality has to offer without smallminded missconceptions.

I do not buy Christianety as the whole thruth but know to much to belive the religon called science knows as much as they think they do. I do not mean all scientist but there are some that are antireligon and antispiritual that are very closeminded however much they belive they are not. They do not belive in certain things and call it superstition because it cannot exist by their understanding of reality. Poor fools they do not know what they are missing caught up in duality views not seeking the true reality of everything.

edit on 14-8-2012 by apushforenlightment because: spellchecking

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by apushforenlightment

So Christians equal dumb and Scientist equal smart in your perception?

No. Only those who professing to be smarter than scientists when it comes to understanding of the universe and (cough) evolution. Actually also this... the ones who profess to know all about God and his ways.

Which one do you think God would rather have? The ones who blindly follow anything and the ones who questions everything?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Which one do you think God would rather have? The ones who blindly follow anything and the ones who questions everything?

Depends on what they're following, I suppose. If they're following God blindly, I imagine that he would prefer that behaviour. People who question everything often tend to find the answers that they want to, in my experience.

As for your OP, and the quote it cites, you apparently missed my post above, which points out that you have taken it out of context, and it doesn't mean what you think it does. A good example of "question everything" resulting in an invalid conclusion, whether intentionally led by bias or not.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

God said through the prophet Isaiah that He would blindside the wise, learned, mighty and noble...
...Isaiah wrote in the 8th century BC...

"...behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid." Isaiah 29:14

Paul quotes from Isaiah in his first letter to Corinth (one of the undisputed letters of Paul)...

"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent (learned, intelligent). 20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?" 1 Corinthians 1:19-20

He did it by turning the human notions of wisdom on its head...

"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:" 1 Corinthians 1:26-28

God designed a way to reveal Himself that would be rejected by the world's best and brightest...
...and it is still blindsiding those who think they are special because of wealth, education or power.

Paul said it more specifically like this...
"...the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God...the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men."

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
There is an important one you might have forgot. The FOOL has said in his heart that there is NO GOD. Hmmm methinks this is why we see athiesm growing perhaps.

top topics

join