It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.7 EQ just now in Russia, 5.1 on the US west coast

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jodlum66
reply to post by Arduous

I've been watching seismic activity for several years now. Everything seems normal so far. Before the huge Japan quake march 11th last year I think there was around a 6.4 or something. It's common for there to be subsequent quake on the opposite side of the Plate. I see them near Alaska, and then down near New Zealand quite often. All we can do is wait and see if this is a huge fore-shock.
edit on 13-8-2012 by Jodlum66 because: (no reason given)

I, too have been watching seismic activity for several years and I totally agree with you. What I have been noticing long-term is that the balance between the two sides of the plate is growing out of proportion - but this is just my totally unprofessional opinion. Have you noticed this as well?

Hopefully the primary release was this event in Russia and that it was remote enough to not cause problems. If it is a foreshock, then I do not want to know what that means.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have a few screen shots of those and i'm sure some will be removed due to false reports. I don't think there were as many as reported, more likely just a glitch

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by planefixer

I'm not going to rant about the things you just mentioned,as I don't want to get the thread off topic too much.

But really dude,none of the people you just mentioned are legitimate. They're just people seeking attention.

If I said right now come August 27 Cali was going to be devasted by a major earthquake..would you believe me?

And if you say yes,then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you in Brooklyn.

Seriously though,you wouldn't.Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

ETA : "You are right about her exact predictions as far as dates go. She has been saying there will be major EQ in Cali for awhile and has said august"

So,come sept 1st you'll stop believing her bull#?
edit on 13-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
No aftershocks yet? Not even small ones. Maybe the don't report small quakes in this region.

Any reports on if this area is populated?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Could the Russia quake be bigger than initial measurements??

SOMETHING registered all across the US West Coast! That can't be ignored!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Do you mean in Cali? Yes they do.They show up somewhere.

mymindismine...yes,it was probably the one major ONE that was off the coast of Russia.
edit on 14-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
LA Times reporting false alarms on the West Coast due to the magnitude of the Russia quake

LA Times

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

See

2nd

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

No, I mean in Russia. Maybe the don't have enough sensors in this region to pick up small afershocks?

Anyway, about the LA times article, are the sensors so inaccurate they can't tell whether the quake was 1000 miles away?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Wait, they deleted two San Francisco quakes? Does that mean they didn't happen?

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it...

So strange and alarming that initial reports from the site would be pulled for 'what-ever' reason. I am sure those who have family there and have learned about the quakes early on are very worried, erasing the information could scare them even more.

I don't have family or friends there now, that I'm aware of, but if I did and the small bit of info I had disappeared... well I am sure I would be more worried and panicky.

When future quakes strike, hopefully the proper information will be displayed in the shortest amount of time - even if that means temporarily removing initial reports to ensure their accuracy and avoid high levels distress for those with connections to the afflicted region.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812

Wait, they deleted two San Francisco quakes? Does that mean they didn't happen?

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it...

So strange and alarming that initial reports from the site would be pulled for 'what-ever' reason. I am sure those who have family there and have learned about the quakes early on are very worried, erasing the information could scare them even more.

I don't have family or friends there now, that I'm aware of, but if I did and the small bit of info I had disappeared... well I am sure I would be more worried and panicky.

When future quakes strike, hopefully the proper information will be displayed in the shortest amount of time - even if that means temporarily removing initial reports to ensure their accuracy and avoid high levels distress for those with connections to the afflicted region.

From the LA Times article I linked..

False reports occasionally are registered by USGS automatic earthquake sensors, she said.

Those sensor reports are automatically transmitted to subscribers of the agency’s earthquake notification system. Within minutes, seismologists review every report and retract those few that are false, Gordon said.

“On rare occasions we’ll have these false positives," she said. "We figure that the risk is worth it.”

And to your last paragraph.

“We don’t want to hold up every single notice until it’s reviewed by a seismologist. It would add 10, 20 minutes to every notice,” she said.

edit on 14-8-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Take a look at the EQ's that just 1 source posted....a couple on the 2nd...( Of August) And then 8, 10,11,12. Up- dates will then add 13, 14. Lots of them seem to be powerful and more frequent.

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

For those that know the faults....what's going on? Worried?

Take a look at what suspiciousObservers has to say for the 2 min Weather...love this guy and the ATS'er that turned me onto him. This guy is very .....Cool! lol

www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-8-2012 by tracehd1 because: Add

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I wonder when the 104 hour final warning begins that he gave last time his prediction for japans earth quake begins? , he said go inland 70 miles or more in california.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

I'm guessing they base it on the sensors...and probably people sitting at their comps and reviewing sites like in the OP who see errors and say OMG BIG QUAKE IN CALI!! LEMME REPORT IT EVEN THOUGH I DIDNT FEEL IT!!!! END OF THE WORLD?!?!?!? ZOMG

Okay,seriously though,I think they do that.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

I'm not going to rant about the things you just mentioned,as I don't want to get the thread off topic too much.

But really dude,none of the people you just mentioned are legitimate. They're just people seeking attention.

If I said right now come August 27 Cali was going to be devasted by a major earthquake..would you believe me?

And if you say yes,then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you in Brooklyn.

Seriously though,you wouldn't.Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

ETA : "You are right about her exact predictions as far as dates go. She has been saying there will be major EQ in Cali for awhile and has said august"

So,come sept 1st you'll stop believing her bull#?
edit on 13-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

Look. I'm not saying I'm a diehard Jessica the psychic fan or anything and no I don't be live everything on the internet. If I did I would be on CNN.com not here where poeople post interesting things that the MSM does not and then discuss it. I was just pointing out the fact that before these started popping up as they have been, there were others saying activity would be increasing and the "predictions" of the big one.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think they'll have to do better than saying an echo... It's not like the timing was within just a minute or anything. Is 10+ going to be that pronounced? That's quite a glitch? Oh well.... No one's perfect... (shifts nervously)..

...they do buy to the lowest bidder, huh? Comforting thought sometimes..

(My shot of what I'd seen other members got as well...and that is still showing right now )

edit on 14-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

No hard feelings,I was just pointing out the Ms Jessica is a fraud

Not that CNN is any better but you better believe I'll believe them before some blogger on the internet

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think they'll have to do better than saying an echo... It's not like the timing was within just a few minutes or anything. Is 10+ going to be that pronounced? That's quite a glitch? Oh well.... No one's perfect... (shifts nervously)..

...they do buy to the lowest bidder, huh? Comforting thought sometimes..

(My shot of what I'd seen other members got as well...and that is still showing right now )

Umm.......but it was within just a few minutes.... roughly 10

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That's a glitch. How can you see it as anything else?!?!

Don't you think others would have felt it?

3 7.3s

2 7.7s

And you think it's something more then an echo?!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'm not really sure who to reply to here so I guess I'll just ask the forum a general question.

A 7.7 earthquake at that kind of depth cannot possibly be accurate, can it? If we felt 7.7 it must have been much larger than that. We all know the farther away from the epicenter you feel less, this would hold true with depth too correct?

360 miles down seems pretty far for an accurate reading.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join