It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi-Arabia to build a city only for women!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Saudi-Arabia to build a city only for women!

www.deccanherald.com

The Saudi Industrial Property Authority (Modon) has been asked to bring the country at par with the rest of the modern world by building the all women city, with construction to begin next year, according to a Saudi media report.

The new city will allow women's desire to work without defying the country's strict Islamic laws.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am almost speechless at this notion. While I used to consider myself repressed at one time, I can understand where this could perhaps allow more women to be able to work. However there is still a very strong aura of control in this situation, which goes against any idea of freedom that we in the rest of the world enjoy and cherish.

However they are doing this to correct a wrong and creating this in order to keep up with the rest of the world, are they really serious?

When I think of Saudi Arabia of recent days I recall the one female who attended the Olympics and in an interview all questions to her were answered by a male handler. A commentator suggested that maybe in the next Olympics she would be able to answer questions by herself?

I do hope some of our Muslim members will reply to this thread and help the rest of us understand something in what I perceive to be utter repression and madness. Do any of you think this can work for them?

In my innermost fantasies when hubby left his stuff everywhere and could trash a kitchen in less than fifteen minutes, I sometimes wished husbands and wives lived in separate apartments or dwellings across from each other. Maybe in the same way some of the women will find some measure of freedom from constant stress of male harrassment?

However all in all, this does really blow my mind.

www.deccanherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-8-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I hope all the women that live there end up trying to get independence. That's one rebellion I'd feel good about supporting.

XL5

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hmmm, if its not forced on them it might be a good thing. It may allow the women to star thinking and feeling for them selves, be less controlled and happy. It could also lead to the second womans revolution! Knowing them, the men will STILL want to controll that city.

Its too bad they don't make a nerd island city and call it Trontopia, Gamerica or even Eureka.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

The new city will allow women's desire to work without defying the country's strict Islamic laws.

Am I the only person who thinks this is some kind of reverse psychology??
Shun them out of society for so long, then when the timing is right,
let themselves turn into obedient slaves to fulfill roles?

I know it's wrong, but i'm not the one who did it, just trying to make sense of it and point it out..

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The Decan Herald got this from a Daily Mail report you can find here: www.dailymail.co.uk...

There is an interesting side bar in the article:

Sharia Law is the moral code and religious law of Islam dealing with crime, politics, and economics, as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, and fasting.

In general Sharia doesn't guarantee equal rights for women and men.

For many it does but for rights including marital and inheritance laws, it doesn't.

Married women have the right to seek employment although it is often thought in patriarchal societies that the woman's role as a wife and mother should have first priority.

Islam allows both single and married women to own property and the right to inherit from other family members but a woman's inheritance is different from a man's, for instance, a daughter's inheritance is usually half that of her brother's.

Islamic jurists have traditionally held that Muslim women may enter into marriage with only Muslim men, while the Quran allows a Muslim man to marry a chaste woman from the People of the Book, a term that includes Jews and Christians.

In 2003, a Malaysian court ruled that, under sharia law, a man may divorce his wife via text messaging as long as the message was clear and unequivocal.

Of course, all this notwithstanding... why on earth can't women work with men? I'm not sure I understand the proscription.

Also the Decon Herald article mentions something I don't get (perhaps it's a typo?)

"We are now working on a second industrial city for women. We have plans to establish a number of women-only industries in various parts of the kingdom," the 'Daily Mail' quoted Rasheed, as telling Saudi daily newspaper al-Eqtisadiah.

"A second city"? As in, there is one already?
edit on 13-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
So what would happen to me if i were to get "lost" one day and happen to end up there? You know me, i always get "lost" without my GPS

Seriously though, where do i sign up? I need to hire some Mexican cartel tunnel builders to get me in there!!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Women are not equals, in Saudi Arabia.

Its a control mechanism.

Qur'an- 4:34 "Men have authority over women because Allah has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allegorical
So what would happen to me if i were to get "lost" one day and happen to end up there? You know me, i always get "lost" without my GPS

Seriously though, where do i sign up? I need to hire some Mexican cartel tunnel builders to get me in there!!

Sounds like a bad 80's comedy plot. Only instead of you dressing like a Nun and eventually revealing yourself to a bunch of uptight clergy who eventually understand you have a heart of gold, you actually end up getting a bunch of innocent women executed for talking to you in the restroom.

Man, religion is messed up.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

bring the country at par with the rest of the modern world by building the all women city

Yeah, because that is what the rest of the modern world does....shoves all their women into a separate part of the city away from the rest of the world....just like cattle....

well whatever floats their goat. hopefully the women will be truly happy.....
edit on August 13th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Second city = second class. Pretty easy to control when on a "reservation".

HOWEVER.. we are talking about women with nothing to lose here. This may backfire in time. Id read a book yrs ago concerning Bosnia and the general said above all, the hardest fighting and most bloodthirsty soldiers were the women groups who were composed of women tho had been victim of the rape squads , their children had been murdered, or their entire families murdered. He'd recounted a few things Ill not repeat here, but said that they were the most vicious fighting force he had been involved with and that they did not take direction.. they were like berzerkers.. who you just let loose, kept armed, kept fed, and didnt get in their way.

The future may look very interesting in Saudi, who apparently arent students of history.

edit on 13-8-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What I always find interesting regarding Islam is that early on, Women were indeed equal.
This set Islam apart from Christianity and Judaism.

I don't, however, know what happened to change this.

Perhaps old Prophet Muhammad saw what he thought was a good thing in controlling those wild women folk when some of his equal 'disciples' proved more equal than him?
That's speculation, but, besides that, what happened to change a budding belief system into the patriarchal backwards tyranny that it is today?

Further, what happened to the progressive Islam of the Middle Ages that brought math, rudimentary science, medical advances, and better engineering to Western Europe?
Were it not for Muslim medical practices with lancing boils, Black Plague would have had an even graver toll.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Hopefully they all turn gay and lock the doors...

BTW - I wonder how many Women were involved in the creation of this city...

SA sucks...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Well I have to admit, this is a rather impressive development from Saudi Arabia and am happy to hear this.

Welcome to the modern world!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Am I the only person who thinks this is some kind of reverse psychology??
Shun them out of society for so long, then when the timing is right,
let themselves turn into obedient slaves to fulfill roles?

I know it's wrong, but i'm not the one who did it, just trying to make sense of it and point it out..

That thought occurred to me as well. The psychology of robothood or slavery? Let's hope they can somehow allow some part of themselves to breathe.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Women are considered 2nd class citizens in the muslim world

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
"A second city"? As in, there is one already?

I took it to mean a second project in the works, but now you have me wondering. I'll have to keep digging.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allegorical

maybe you and Manhater can charter a bus.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
OoOo the chaos if they can't:

1/ Know anything about a car except its colour

2/ Understand a film plot

3/ Go 24 hours without sending a text message

4/ Lift

5/ Throw

6/ Run

7/ Park

8/ Read a map

9/ Rob a bank

10/ Sit still

11/ Tell a joke

12/ Play pool

13/ Pay for dinner

14/ Eat a kebab while walking

15/ Argue without shouting

16/ Get told off without crying

17/ Understand fruit machines

18/ Walk past a shoe shop

19/ Make a decent bacon sandwich

20/ Not comment on strangers clothes

21/ Use small amounts of toilet paper

22/ Let you sleep with a hang over

23/ Drink a pint gracefully

24/ Get a round in

25/ Throw a punch

26/ Do magic

27/ Like your friends

28/ Eat a real hot curry

29/ Get to the point

30/ Buy plain envelopes

31/ Take less than 20 minutes in the toilet

32/ Sit in a room for 5 minutes without saying " I'm Cold "

33/ Go shopping without telephoning 20 friends

34/ Avoid credit card debt

35/ Dive into a pool

36/ Assemble furniture

37/ Set a video recorder

38/ Not try change you

39/ Watch a war film

40/ Understand why flirting results in violence

41/ Spend a day by themselves

42/ Go to the toilet by themselves

43/ Buy a purse that fits in your pocket

44/ Choose a video quickly

45/ Fart

46/ Get this far without having argued with at least 1 of the above

..peace..had to

edit on 13-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm sure they still won't be allowed to drive inside their own city, and other similar activities typically banned, because women are supposedly incapable of doing them due to something about the way a woman's body is made.

???

edit on 13-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join