It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The human brain is like an advanced remote control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The material brain needs a user/observer just like the remote control.

It's funny how scientist just make these huge leaps when talking about the brain. The logic goes like this:

Well, this part of the brain is active when X occurs THEREFORE this part of the brain must be responsible for X.

This makes no sense and it's a huge leap that is rooted in a materialistic belief. It's like saying because the light on my remote is active when I change the channel, therefore my remote must be responsible for changing the channel. My remote needs a user/observer and so does the material brain.

The material brain is stimulated by the 5 senses. There must be a 6th sense or a field of consciousness that stimulates the material brain.

This allows us to recall specific memories at will. The material brain doesn't know the difference between a memory from little league or a memory from College. How does the material brain know which memory I wish to recall?

How does the material brain know the difference between a fastball, curve ball and a slider? How does the material brain know which pitch I want to throw?

There has to be a use/observer that stimulates and interacts with the brain. It's impossible for the material brain to accomplish these things.

It's like pushing start on the microwave. The microwave becomes active because the user/observer not because of the microwave.

I think all things operate with this field. The human brain is just advanced enough to interact with this field.

edit on 12-8-2012 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

That's just about the smartest thing I've heard lately. It made a lot of connections for me. Thanks....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

edit on 13-8-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

this is kind of like,,, are we ( what I actually am referring to when I say me) the sum of our parts? a human and its every part works to allow humanness to be and function,,.,. or are we one specific part more then the others ( this is the idea of soul, or as you put "consciousness" ,.,.., is consciousness a creation of the body? a product of the brain? or am i missing your point?

trying to think about this,, i began thinking of a car,.,.,.,, a car is nothing without gasoline ( its energy source).,.,,. a human is nothing without food ( its energy source).,.,.,,. but a car also cannot function without an engine and wheels,,, as a human cannot function without a heart and lungs.,,.,.,.

so its all a complex open system,, completely contained except for the dependance on an external energy,,,,

i may be wrong but i think the idea you speak of regarding observer/ user..... is how consciousness works as a feed back loop.. its all chicken or the egg stuff,.,.,.,. like the game pong,.,.,.,. stomach tells my brain im thristy,, i understand the sensation of thrist,, a cup,, i know what a cup is,, now my goal is to look for a cup,,, i know where a cup is,, i get the cup and fill it with water,,, these highly complex actions are not easy nor capable our first year or so of life,, we need to "learn" we need to program or consciousness/memory format interface

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I think you're arguing for a soul or "spirit mind" that exists outside the brain.

It's very compelling, and impossible to prove as right or wrong.

I'd say it cannot be proven, although many such puzzling questions try.

We know that certain parts of the physical brain are responsible for certain functions, like sight or movement.
When those parts of the brain are damaged then the physical function ceases i.e. we might go blind or lame.

When the brain is very injured there is no evidence of a soul: no consciousness, no speech, no nothing.

So it's also possible that the spirit outside the body is just a trick of the brain.

It's never done anything demonstratively or animated the body.

Only what happens to the brain animates and affects the body and consciousness.

There may be a soul apart from the positivist brain.

However any proof has failed consistently.

Following the evidence so far I'd thus say that "the soul" is a trick of the brain.
No more active brain; no more soul.
edit on 13-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

It's funny how scientist just make these huge leaps when talking about the brain. The logic goes like this:

Well, this part of the brain is active when X occurs THEREFORE this part of the brain must be responsible for X.

Do you really believe that encapsulates the entire position of neuroscience?

This makes no sense and it's a huge leap that is rooted in a materialistic belief.

You're right it is a materialistic belief, that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. Whether it's entirely correct doesn't change that it is rational.

It's like saying because the light on my remote is active when I change the channel, therefore my remote must be responsible for changing the channel.

Also rational. Any rational idea should be explored. Through science or mystical experience or whatever. I don't know if this idea has merit but it makes enough sense to warrant further experiments.

The material brain is stimulated by the 5 senses. There must be a 6th sense or a field of consciousness that stimulates the material brain.

There is a really good book that you would enjoy called 'The God Theory'. Please don't be taken back by the title it illustrates a belief very much in line with what you're getting at and it is authored by a scientist (physics).

This allows us to recall specific memories at will. The material brain doesn't know the difference between a memory from little league or a memory from College. How does the material brain know which memory I wish to recall?

Why are you so certain the brain doesn't know the difference? That would imply consciousness is not an emergent property of the brain. I mean I am not against that... but you seem to be stating it as fact...

How does the material brain know the difference between a fastball, curve ball and a slider? How does the material brain know which pitch I want to throw?

How does the brain process visual data? How does the brain store memory?

There has to be a use/observer that stimulates and interacts with the brain. It's impossible for the material brain to accomplish these things.

That's predicated on the idea that consciousness cannot be an emergent property of the brain. Fine. But where is the proof it's not?

I think all things operate with this field. The human brain is just advanced enough to interact with this field.

I actually support your belief here more than not. I don't speak so absolutely as you do as I don't have proof...
The book I referenced is interesting in that its position is kind of a middle ground between what you're insinuating and a very reductionist view.
edit on 13-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

The brain can emit frequencies based on emotions too; for example, happiness is a very high pitch which you can hear in a quiet room, while fear gives off a low pitch and distrupts your central nervous system.

Mind over matter
. Mind is to spiritual as brain is to physical.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

Links to your sources?

Would be much appreciated!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
A TV remote is useless without batteries (Brain damage) or if the TV doesn't work.(End of the world)
You think therefor you are.
Teachers don't preach to control oneself for nothing

The signal diedem.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
My brain being like a remote control would actually explain a lot... I can't get the freaking remote control to work right either.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
what i mainly dont get and im sure i can google but maybe someone knows,,, is where consciousness resides when there are no thoughts? if thoughts and the act of thinking or even obeying impulses and senses are firing of neurons what is the system which reads and organizes the neurons? when you are thinking and it takes you a while to think of what you are trying to you are traveling down different paths of your mind and memories,, also visualizing in your imagination,, these things take place on small scales and at fast paces,.,,. but i guess im asking where does the commander/ controller/interpreter of the information reside in the mind? the heart is beating you are alive,,, you are reading this right now,,, so many things are occurring for you to comprehend these words and understand the greater meaning of these sentences,,.,. when this sentence is over take a breath and stare into blank space with no though.,,,. what is your conciousness doing then? is it just constantly 100 times a second saying Im here! your here! im here! were here! were seeing! were here! im here! your here! look! look! look! and these or thoughts,,, or does the interpreter of memory and thoughts ( your self, your "consciousness) dissipate,, waiting to be conjured up again when an action or thought is necessary to take place?

what happens to our consciousness when we sleep? oh thats right it has a grand ole time playing around making realities of its own with our memories and emotions!! it hates to not be present so much, when its suppose to be in off mode,, its making movies...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

My brain being like a remote control would actually explain a lot... I can't get the freaking remote control to work right either.

~Heff

I cant even find the remote!!! ill check the couch,,,, thats usually where im hanging....

I lost the remote a long time ago,,,,, never bother looking

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

It just fires random scripts through your ram circuits while your hard drive defrags.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

what i mainly dont get and im sure i can google but maybe someone knows,,, is where consciousness resides when there are no thoughts?

That's a solid question.

And it depends on what we mean when we say 'consciousness'. If it's just the stream of thoughts then the conundrum you just mentioned makes sense. But that is distinct from the awareness of being conscious isn't it? The very understanding that one can be conscious and have no thoughts, even if for just for a very very short period of time, would suggest this.

So the question is, inline with the OP topic, can awareness itself originate externally but the 'stream of thoughts' be an emergent property of the brain.
edit on 13-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

what i mainly dont get and im sure i can google but maybe someone knows,,, is where consciousness resides when there are no thoughts?

That's a solid question.

And it depends on what we mean when we say 'consciousness'. If it's just the stream of thoughts then the conundrum you just mentioned makes sense. But that is really distinct from awareness of being conscious isn't it? The very understanding that one can be conscious and have no thoughts, even if for just for a very very short period of time, would suggest this.

So the question is, inline with the OP topic, can awareness itself originate externally but the 'stream of thoughts' be an emergent property of the brain.

well a baby is aware,,, but im not sure its aware its aware,,,,, and this is what we say separates us from the animals.,.,.,.,.,.,

we some how had to be able at some point in the far past question our own awareness in a way that it made us aware of the ability to question at all

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic

I very strongly put forward the hypothesis that all you have here is a straw man argument.
I very much doubt you could show that this is in any way at all an accurate assessment of how neuroscience works.

Edit - you may be able to find some introductory "for the average citizen" websites that explain such things in a grossly simplified way for the non-scientist... but that doesnt make them true for the actual science or scientists.

edit on 13-8-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Reply to post by neoholographic

Eh, I think you just dont understand enough about the brain. As of now, the understanding of the material brain has allowed science to improve the quality of life for millions of people. Memory storage and retrieval is very well understood, go read up on it. To attempt to add another element makes no sense.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
but even animals have basic consciousness awareness of their surroundings,,,, as well as informational awareness and memory they can access,,,, they are very good with remembering their surroundings which means they internally have a map of external reality based off of their senses like we do.,,.,..,

its just that humans can store thoughts because of meanings of language and complex concepts much more efficiently, complexly,, and just much further in magnitudes of possible advancement of cognitive potential,,,. mainly because language,,, labels,, symbols,,, codes,,, information,,, giving things meaning and value.,.,

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
also i said this before

"well a baby is aware,,, but im not sure its aware its aware,,,,, and this is what we say separates us from the animals"

and the more i think of it,,, im pretty sure animals are aware of their awareness,,, they understand that they are themselves and exist,..,., they just cannot express themselves or do anything much about anything like we can.,,.,.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I have read the God Theory by Bernard Haisch. It's a good book.

The answer to your question is an emphatic NO. Consciousness can't be an emergent property of the material brain. You have to show me how this is possible.

How can the material brain produce consciousness that's not bound by 3 dimensional space-time?

I just recalled 5 specific memories at will. How is this possible for the material brain?

How does the material brain know the difference between these memories?

How does the material brain know the difference between a fastball, curveball and slider? How does it know which one I want to throw in a game of baseball?

How does the material brain have thoughts or ideas? What stimulates the brain to have these thoughts or ideas?

At the end of the day the material brain can't be responsible for these things. People can't just say the brain is responsible for these things because a part of the brain is active when these things occur. You have to explain how it is even possible for the material brain to accomplish these things.

For instance, I just recalled a memory where I went on a family reunion. How does the material brain know I want that specific memory? How does it recall that specific memory at will?

Just like my remote needs a user/observer to change the channels and my microwave needs a user/observer to set the time and start it, the material brain needs a user/observer outside of itself that's not bound by 3-dimensional space-time to do these things. This field produces all things and the brain is advanced enough to interact with this field and have a self aware experience.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join