It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri ‘Right To Pray’ Amendment Will Allow Creationists To Refuse To Study Evolution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
More drivel from the religious ignorant:

Earlier this week, Missouri’s Amendment 2 ballot measure — dubbed the “right to pray” amendment — passed the state legislature with 83 percent of the vote. The amendment’s backers claim it puts important protections in place for Missouri’s Christians, who they say are often “public targets” despite the fact that Christians currently represent 80 percent of the state’s population.

The ballot language said the amendment will ensure religious liberty by allowing Missouri school children to express their beliefs openly in school and permitting state-funded schools to publicly display the Bill of Rights, both expressions that are already protected. In advance of the vote, the American Civil Liberties Union called the summary on the ballot “misleading because all people in Missouri currently enjoy very robust protections of their religious liberties” under both the state constitution and the U.S. Constitution.

The idea that religion is somehow suppressed in the USA is ridiculous- the US population is strongly religious, and no-one is taking away any of their rights and privileges at all. Indeed we see an increase in x-ian fundamentalism that clearly repudiates and suggestion of repression!

But somehow they are turning something that doesnt exist into a reason to deny kids a proper education in the public school system!

and it is not like evolution is actually controversial at all except for zealots and fanatics - it happens every day - warnings about a resistant strain of Gonorrhrea have come out just this week, and the idea that evolution and some sort of creationism are "equal" and should be given "equal time" or somesuch is also nonsense - evolution is a widely accepted scientific theory, which has had millions of hours of research put into it - all versions of creationism are at best personal belief, at worst wishful thinking and confirmation bias.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Anything that has to do with science should be pulled out of the state, like hospitals. Let those savages pray their illnesses away, we'll see how that will work out for them.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Let them do what they want, as long it does not infringe upon you, your family or your friends.

Ignorance is bliss, it keeps them happy

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

A generation of scientifically ignorant children WILL affect you and your family sooner or alter, as the US either has to import people with a real education, or turns into an ignorant theocratic scientific black hole - which would you prefer?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I think it's ridiculous. Learning about evolution in school did nothing to dissuade my religious beliefs. I learned about evolution in school and about intelligent design at church, as did my own children. How can anyone decide what they wish to believe about ANYTHING if they are not taught as many theories as possible? I have always believed that God wants us to choose him, not for us to have no other options! How can our children properly decide what they believe or not if someone takes away the very knowledge that makes choosing possible? It doesn't make sense to me!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Creationists prefer to go through life being dreadfully stupid.

That of course, is the reason for which they still believe in creation in the year 2012!

The part about displaying the Bill of Rights is a good thing though.

edit on 12-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Let them do what they want, as long it does not infringe upon you, your family or your friends.

Ignorance is bliss, it keeps them happy
Absolutely agree. If that's the way they want to live and they don't attempt to push their philosophies on everyone else, so be it. Where it becomes problematic is when they want everyone to live by their perceived standards.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
evolution is a widely accepted scientific theory........

Thats right. A theory that is widely accepted. It requires more faith than belief in a superior being outside our time and space. Belief in a creator is also a widely accepted belief.

If people don't wnat their kids to learn about creation fine. If people don';t wnat their kids rto leanr about evolution...fine.

Personally I'd rather they see both taught to kids so they can see how rediculous evolution really is as a side by side thing that cannot be easily 'proved' for either side.

Thats where I debunked evolution in favour of a God.... back in my early school years, I can still remember the day I thought, "they really have no idea, no proof and are trying to convince me of something as real that has the word 'theory' on the blackboard.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I agree that it is a problem and you are right in that it will eventually effect others. However, you would be infringing on their right to practice their belief, regardless of how crazy it may seem.

I would like everyone to deny ignorance and educate themselves, it will better society. However, if you take away their right to practice their faith, you undermine the fundamentals that make democratic nations prosperous.

In time, i believe it will no longer be practical or possible to remain ignorant, and these fanatical beliefs will eventually fade into obscurity.
edit on 12-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
In the next 50, 100, 1000, or whatever so years it takes for humans to create robots with emotions, and human characteristics, with a system that functions like a human brain ... what would we consider that? A product of the Evolution of Technology, or just Human Creation.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
In the next 50, 100, 1000, or whatever so years it takes for humans to create robots with emotions, and human characteristics, with a system that functions like a human brain ... what would we consider that? A product of the Evolution of Technology, or just Human Creation.
That moment already has a term. It's called the singularity.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012

Thats right. A theory that is widely accepted. It requires more faith than belief in a superior being outside our time and space. Belief in a creator is also a widely accepted belief.

If people don't wnat their kids to learn about creation fine. If people don';t wnat their kids rto leanr about evolution...fine.

Personally I'd rather they see both taught to kids so they can see how rediculous evolution really is as a side by side thing that cannot be easily 'proved' for either side.

Thats where I debunked evolution in favour of a God.... back in my early school years, I can still remember the day I thought, "they really have no idea, no proof and are trying to convince me of something as real that has the word 'theory' on the blackboard.

Do you have any proof outside of your own bias that creation is true? I think you might want to go back to school and re-"Learn" what a "Theory" is.

The only thing that can be said as fact in the scientific world are laws dictating the physical world and mathematical equations. It's fine to have your belief in god, but creationism has never ever stood up to science. Until a creationist can provide actual peer reviewed evidence and show that a supernatural thing can affect a natural thing and show god creating something, creationism is nothing more then blind faith.

P.S. Gravity is also a theory too, but you don't see many creationist jumping out of planes with no parachutes do ya?

Edit: And before anyone chimes in with, "Wait you just contradicted yourself! Gravity is a law, so how can it be a theory?" Simple, everything that goes up eventually comes down, we have studied that and observed that for hundreds of years, so that would make it a law. But why it always comes down is the theory we are still trying to figure out. In other words why matter is attracted to other matter is still under investigation.
edit on 8/12/1212 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Public schools don't teach science...they don't really teach anything. Public schools are used for programming out any individual thought. I'll trust parents as to the best way to program their children. Science is a huge joke played out on us anyway. Religion is less dangerous to our health.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Public schools don't teach science...they don't really teach anything. Public schools are used for programming out any individual thought. I'll trust parents as to the best way to program their children. Science is a huge joke played out on us anyway. Religion is less dangerous to our health.

So how is religion less dangerous when the parents that let their baby die because they thought faith healing would solve all their baby's issues and did not seek medical attention?

Granted that's an extreme case, but things like that do happen all the time, people think they got healed give some religious nutcase 1,000$ then they tell them to stop taking their meds and then end up in the hospital because their condition got worse. Yea sounds way less dangerous.

This just happened about a year ago in the state of oregon.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GR1ill3d

I suspect fewer children have died due to the faith of their parents than those that have died at the hands of scientific inquiry and discovery. I was not defending religion in anyway, it has it's own brand of social dangers. I simply think that the influence of a parent should always trump the influence of the state.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Arrant nonsense

Science has likely given you a life expectancy of 70 or more years, your children are almost certainly not going to die of measles or mumps, you have access to a vast amount of energy to pursue your life with, and none of that was given to you by religion.

Religious beliefs, of various persuasions, would have you refusing blood transfusions, vaccines, denying set theory, having no life of your own if you are a woman, kidnapping children from "same sex" famlies to "save" them, and generally being closed minded and intolerant of everything except your own particular imaginary friend and what it is you think he/she/it actually meant when someone wrote some words hundreds of thousands of years ago that have been repeatedly translated to suit some political purpose or other

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012

And you do not see a difference between a belief that is a peraonal thing which requires no verifiable evidence, and a scientific theory which has a great deal of verifiable evidence - evidence which is objective??

just repeating this bit:

It requires more faith than belief in a superior being outside our time and space.

No - it requires no faith whatsoever. It requires understanding what the scientific method is, and how it generates, examines and accepts or disproves or supplants evidence.

It is typical of the religious community that they (you) try to put science on the same footing as religion - but even as you do so you use words that show your error - "science" vs "belief" and "faith"

edit on 12-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

It is a good thing to reaffirm that this right already exists. Make a law to remove any liberal spin on the issue. There are people that believe the US Constitution is a living, breathing document and can change meaning, depending who is in control at the time.
It is a shame we have to repeat ourselves regarding our rights. But there are the Public school grads out there that only learned the liberals, hog wash, of a right being a privilege. Even the dictionary gets it wrong. Not by accident, I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by MDDoxs

A generation of scientifically ignorant children WILL affect you and your family sooner or alter, as the US either has to import people with a real education, or turns into an ignorant theocratic scientific black hole - which would you prefer?

I agree. None of these people should be allowed to have the freedom of choice regarding what their children are taught regardless of their religious belief systems. They MUST be forced to conform to my belief system because mine is right, because I believe in it.

Take all hose useless warmongering idiotic Amish for example. Just LOOK at how horrible heir science less society is doing. I mean. People are shooting each other in the streets and raping and stealing.

Oh wait? That's not happening in Amish villages? Oh! That is happening on scientifically progressive towns and cities you say. My bad.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bakatono

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by MDDoxs

I agree. None of these people should be allowed to have the freedom of choice regarding what their children are taught regardless of their religious belief systems. They MUST be forced to conform to my belief system because mine is right, because I believe in it.

Rubbish - they can beleive what they like. however state schools, paid for by the taxpayer, should be teaching good subjects.

If they want to teach rubbish they can enrol in Conservipedia's rubbish home schooling system or some other closed minded institute that will handicap their kids for the rest of their lives.

They ahve that choice already!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join