It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Important Lawsuit in American History that No One is Talking About

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If this has been posted I apologise. ,

Section 1021 of the NDAA, which was signed into law on December 31 of last year, allows the US government to lock up U.S. citizens indefinitely without a trial. A Federal Court Judge issued an injunction against it in May.

On August 6th, Lawyers acting for the US Gov filed an appeal against the injuntion in which they have asserted even more power by claiming the right to disregard entirely the judge and the law. The attorneys also refused to assure the court that the plaintiffs would not be indefinitely detained or that the Gov had not already used Section 101 to detain US citizens since the injunction.

Judge Forrest had ruled for a temporary injunction against an unconstitutional provision in this law, after government attorneys refused to provide assurances to the court that plaintiffs and others would not be indefinitely detained for engaging in first amendment activities. At that time, twice the government has refused to define what it means to be an “associated force”, and it claimed the right to refrain from offering any clear definition of this term, or clear boundaries of power under this law.

his past week’s hearing was even more terrifying. Government attorneys again, in this hearing, presented no evidence to support their position and brought forth no witnesses. Most incredibly, Obama’s attorneys refused to assure the court, when questioned, that the NDAA’s section 1021 – the provision that permits reporters and others who have not committed crimes to be detained without trial – has not been applied by the US government anywhere in the world after Judge Forrest’s injunction.

Here are links to the articles - Libertyblitzkrieg

The guardian
edit on 12-8-2012 by Seagle because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

Shhhhhhhhh,, you are not supposed to try and Wake the Masses,, they are sleeping.

Yes, I have waited and waited to see any kind of real response to this,, but America doesn't care,, it is too busy being worried that I might want to marry someone of the same sex, or what Lindsey Lohan is doing,, or maybe Madonna and Lady Gaga..

Shhhhhhhhh that is not important,,, American Idol is On..

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the catch on this. This is getting downright scary and this President with the people around him are like nothing I've ever seen before. I looked at your links and couldn't believe my eyes. They actually refused to assure the Judge they hadn't used it to Detain reporters or others indefinitely and without charges. Isn't this what so many insisted it didn't really say and he didn't really mean??

What makes it worse.. they wouldn't even confirm it hadn't happened AFTER his injunction. Apparently, Congress is a rubber stamp to be ignored when convenient and the courts? Aww.. they're just 1/2 a branch or something.

WOW... A Constitutional Expert...so expert he taught classes on it, eh? Well, I'd say Harvard needs to look real hard at their curriculum on this because it sure isn't sinking in with some students. The executive isn't *ABOVE* the Judicial, let alone Legislative...but these people sure aren't getting that message.

I'm DYING to see what happens when he's an Ex-President and someone sues ..or even finds basis for more. I'm going to really be entertained if he takes the "It don't mean nothin' approach then. The arrogance is just too much to believe....but as Private Citizen and Ex-President Obama? There are more than a couple Courts in this nation that would LOVE to see anything cross their desks with his name on it and NOT have the White House as the current address of residence.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Audacity, always audacity.
Their plan is becoming blatantly obvious now. The fact that they dont care anymore should be an indicator that, whatever was planned for us, is now in full force.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
We have been talking about this on ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It doesn't get any more blatant than this and people need to pull their heads out of the sand right now.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen23
Yes, I have waited and waited to see any kind of real response to this,, but America doesn't care,, it is too busy being worried that I might want to marry someone of the same sex

That wasn't accidental.

Gay marriage and other issues were thrown out to keep us occupied as our rulers were busy doing other things.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626

11 replies -Says it all really doesn't it. Nobody gives a f anymore. President? Dictator? WTHC

as long as we have our FOX

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Its possible its not being covered because -
* - Its already been covered by the media

and

* - The federal courts struck that portion down as being unconstitutional.

Judge Strikes Down NDAA, Rules Obama Must Obey Constitution

In a considerable setback for a president eager to ravage the due process rights of the American people, Federal Judge Kathleen Forrest granted a preliminary injunction on Wednesday, striking down those sections of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2012 which sought to provide Barack Obama the power to indefinitely detain citizens without benefit of their 5th Amendment rights.

Judge Forrest concluded that the Section “…failed to ‘pass Constitutional muster’ because its broad language could be used to quash political dissent.” In a statement clearly directed to lawmakers, she added, ”Section 1021 tries to do too much with too little – it lacks the minimal requirements of definition and scienter that could easily have been added, or could be added, to allow it to pass constitutional muster.” That is, Congress failed—perhaps deliberately– to define “substantial support” of terrorist groups or describe those activities which might be construed as crossing the legal line. And no law may be enforced if those to whom it applies are unable to clearly understand what a violation of that law entails.

Other sources -
Guardian - The NDAA's section 1021 coup d'etat foiled

US district judge Katherine Forrest, in New York City's eastern district, found that section 1021 – the key section of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) – which had been rushed into law amid secrecy and in haste on New Year's Eve 2011, bestowing on any president the power to detain US citizens indefinitely, without charge or trial, "facially unconstitutional". Forrest concluded that the law does indeed have, as the journalists and peaceful activists who brought the lawsuit against the president and Leon Panetta have argued, a "chilling impact on first amendment rights". Her ruling enjoins that section of the NDAA from becoming law.

If we paid attention this was actually struck down back on 2006 with Jose Padilla. For a short time he was transfered from civil to military jurisdiction. Mr. Padilla is a US citizen and as such the federal courts stated the military had no jurisdiction, could not remove rights of US citizens and reaffirmed the US Supreme Court is the final say on the matter (Military Comission Act of 2006 that was struck down).
edit on 12-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seagle

11 replies -Says it all really doesn't it. Nobody gives a f anymore. President? Dictator? WTHC

perhaps it's just the calm before the storm

do you think the POSUS or anyone else has the power to determine whether you live or die?
i dont, and act accordingly, the time for talk is long over

there can be no truce with kings, nor reasoning with psychopaths

have a book and a viddy

consciousresonance.net...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Thanks for the catch on this. This is getting downright scary and this President with the people around him are like nothing I've ever seen before. I looked at your links and couldn't believe my eyes. They actually refused to assure the Judge they hadn't used it to Detain reporters or others indefinitely and without charges. Isn't this what so many insisted it didn't really say and he didn't really mean??

What makes it worse.. they wouldn't even confirm it hadn't happened AFTER his injunction. Apparently, Congress is a rubber stamp to be ignored when convenient and the courts? Aww.. they're just 1/2 a branch or something.

WOW... A Constitutional Expert...so expert he taught classes on it, eh? Well, I'd say Harvard needs to look real hard at their curriculum on this because it sure isn't sinking in with some students. The executive isn't *ABOVE* the Judicial, let alone Legislative...but these people sure aren't getting that message.

I'm DYING to see what happens when he's an Ex-President and someone sues ..or even finds basis for more. I'm going to really be entertained if he takes the "It don't mean nothin' approach then. The arrogance is just too much to believe....but as Private Citizen and Ex-President Obama? There are more than a couple Courts in this nation that would LOVE to see anything cross their desks with his name on it and NOT have the White House as the current address of residence.

So you think if Obama gets out of office Romney is going to strike this down? Think again..

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by badcon

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

So you think if Obama gets out of office Romney is going to strike this down? Think again..

No need to think again Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are for it and they have publicly stated that.

What a coincidence all candidates on both sides of political spectrum want this.

paulryan.house.gov...

I believe Congress must support policies that protect Americans from terrorist organizations while still preserving our individual rights and liberties under the Constitution. This legislation accomplishes both.

Mitt Romney:
Mitt Romney - Yes I would Sign NDAA
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by badcon

Romney had better stike all of this down by undoing all of Obama's Executive Orders. If not, he stands a good change of insurrection and the People taking him on for Treason. Something we should do to Obama.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

Originally posted by Seagle

perhaps it's just the calm before the storm

do you think the POSUS or anyone else has the power to determine whether you live or die?
i dont, and act accordingly, the time for talk is long over

there can be no truce with kings, nor reasoning with psychopaths

have a book and a viddy

consciousresonance.net...

Love the video and agree 100%.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Big brother is just waiting for the right event to move in on all constitution loving americans. Without a complete replacement of congress and the senate this election, this will be a different country 2 years from now.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Revolution will never happen because the majority of the people are too content to just follow whatever leader is put in front of them. Most of the people here, on ATS, that say things like "It's time to fight back" will never fight back because they lack the moral backbone to do so.

It's very easy to sit in your home and type words that sound fantastic and all rebellious and patriotic but it's another matter to actually do something about it. I'm guilty of the same thing also.

If there were going to be a revolution it should have happened long before now. Our rights are being stripped away on a daily basis but we are too busy fighting each other to be bothered about something as silly as the Constitution. "The Powers that be", whoever they are, have us so busy fighting racism and bigotry that we don't stand a chance.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Those with Evil intentions that reside within their hearts could only devise of such a law that makes anybody but them an enemy.
The law is in place for what is to come.
And Evil it surely is.
I've always listened to Bob Marley but it's becoming evidently clear that his lyrics are more and more pertaining to what's going on right now........the man was truly a prophet.
"Listen carefully now and you will hear!There's a natural mystic blowing through the air!"

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Let me ask you partisan folk out there....

How does it feel to back a man that has the audacity to lock up people without giving them their rights?

Really, I want to know how it feels that you know your man is doing these things to your own country and its citizens?

How does it feel to let those who share your ideology get away with the things they do on your behalf?

Personally, Im sick of it.
What can I do though? Everyone seems connected to the chaos on this planet. Its not a national problem,
it is worldwide.

If I get "lost" after this post, its because they came for me.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I figure you probably missed in the article the OP has where they state this is an ongoing case with some of this happening this month. This appears at the bottom though for correction....

Editor's note: the article originally stated that the administration lawyers filed an appeal against the injunction on 9 August; this was amended to 6 August on 10 August, at 1pm ET

I'd also done a bit of digging and found a source which wouldn't have any gain to fabricate anything...although it's getting surreal, the lengths we're having to go to here just recently to show what is there and supporting 100% VALID OP stories....

This is a news service based in California and dedicated to the Legal community to report what is happening in Courthouses across the nation, as it might effect Attorneys and the like. I take it as solid...and it makes the OP story solid. Whatever was overturned before.

Courthouse News Service

This is the appeal to the case the OP here is refering to... Dated August 6, 2012. So..it's definitely current and ongoing.....

Photo-Copy of Obama's Appeal to the new NDAA action.

edit on 12-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Removed some edge from my comments

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by badcon

Frankly, I don't expect anything out of Romney. Not one thing. I am hoping...because our nation's literal survival depends on it...that he doesn't crash the system as FAST as Obama seems determined to. He's hell bent for leather to ruin our great land.

If Romney is just a garden variety scumbag politician, it'll be a step UP and give us a shot of making it, intact as a nation, to 2016. If we can do that. We WILL get right what we didn't THIS time with Dr. Paul......Or some of us will drop dead from the sheer effort of trying. I just say we need the fair CHANCE of getting to the next election.

Romney is the best shot at that. Same thing I've said a half a dozen times now... He may not repeal this....but it won't matter..because the Courts are going to do it for them anyway.I just want to get to 2016. Thats all..and that will flat out not happen with the Messiah at the helm.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join