It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vintage Cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Anybody driving or own a vintage car?
I don't mean a 90's Subaru, or a Volvo or other such heaps, I mean real vintage, pre-1965,...
I personally am in the process of building a pre-war style 4 banger hot rod, 1929 Ford Model A Tudor sedan.
The only parts that aren't pre-1940 are the brake shoes, cylinders and essential suspension parts that non new would be a hazard, and the cylinder head, which is an upgrade speed part made by the same company that built them back in the day to the same specs. The generator field coils, are also an upgrade to early Ford Falcon so I can run 12 volt electronics, and the air cleaner is a 1956 ford F100 oil bath modified to hold modern air filter elements. Even my carb is a vintage 1932 Stromberg 97, I got for a steal at $220 off of ebay...
Anybody else got some interesting wheels?
Like I said, nothing post 1965...In fact scratch that..
Nothing post 1955...
It drives me crazy when someone tries to convince me their 1990 CRX is a classic car (it was an ugly POS then, it's ugly now, and it will be ugly 80 years from now if it even survives that long)...just cause it's old, don't make it classic.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I dunno about the cut off there, many decent cars go up to the mid 70's in my opinion.

My charger is a 73, 440 cubic inch beast, I step on the gas and watch the needle move on the gas gauge.

Its a family car passed father to son, so I plan to keep it up for my child someday.
edit on 12-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Don't get me wrong, love the muscle cars.
My next project will be either something from the 40's or an El Camino.
I just kind of put those in a bracket all of their own.
So we'll make an adjustment...nothing post 1977...I don't think much classic occured after that...maybe a Cutlass or a Vette before they ruined them....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Speaking of which, I have a 3d model I built of a Charger around that year done up as a monster truck for a now defunct game project....you wouldn't think it would look right, but it still looks like it could go like a bat out of hell, only it don't need no roads, lol...
If I can find a render and figure out how to post it, I will...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ViktorHaze

Yea the 80's and up have been a horrible time for car design.

Seems like pre that you could throw a rock and hit a decent car on the road, now days though few and far between.

I ripped my water pump and radiator out on the side of the road out of my charger (the bearings busted in the water pump sending the fan into the radiator) I was able to do most of the work to replace it right there on the side of the road and get it back to running condition.

Try doing that on a modern car.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

You can't.
I have a buddy who is a mechanic, correction auto technician.
He says he doesn't fix cars, they just throw parts at it until it works, or the computer tells them whats wrong and they replace it.
Frigging junk.
The guy has had the same coveralls for 6 years and I have more grease stains on a shirt I wore once to a wedding.
8 years of continual school and training, just to keep up with the programming tech, can't swap out a muffler without adjusting the computer...nonsense.
When I get my 29 running, if the battery dies on me, I can crank start the damn thing!
That's a machine!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Yeah my mother inlaw collected model T's, restored them and was part of a club, she was constantly trying to get me into it since I was into muscle cars.

Theres something to be said about a machine that can last over 40 years and still run with minor repairs, they truly don't build them like that anymore.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Well, you can hardly find any cars that are in decent or restore able shape from the seventies, let alone the 80's...
I find it completely incredible that I got a car that was 95% complete that is almost 83 years old...
This is what it looked like when I bought it...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Actually come to think of it, that 3d model was Cuda not Charger..
Unfortunately, I don't have any renders of it completed, just in the design phase...

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I was very fortunate ! I went to college to become a mechanic in the late 80s so I still know how to rebuild a carb and gauge the points and it's been a long time since I've adjusted valves on a vehicle ! I worked in a GM dealership through the 90s when all the bells and whistles started coming out on the vehicles . Like your friend I was pretty much a part changer and I really lost my passion for automobiles ! For the past 10 years I have been working for the municipality on agricultural equipment ( tractors , graders, backhoes,) I was also fortunate enough to have taken welding as well , so I do a lot of fabricating ! I really miss working on old vehicles pre 70s ! Best of luck on your project !!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViktorHaze
reply to post by benrl

Well, you can hardly find any cars that are in decent or restore able shape from the seventies, let alone the 80's...
I find it completely incredible that I got a car that was 95% complete that is almost 83 years old...
This is what it looked like when I bought it...

Nice!

My sister has quite a few Model A and T body parts, (Doors, fenders, cabs, spoked rims, engines, etc) in a large shed and around the property. Even a few that look similiar to your pics that may or may not be restoreable.

Her Husband used to restore and sell them, but has since passed away earlier this year. Can you give me a idea on what she should do with them? Should she sell them as is or restore and then sell the parts.

The best specimen she has is a '36 Ford Pick-up that some guy bought three years ago cash, but never picked up. He keeps telling her be by at some point and stays in touch. My sis being the good persomn that she is still has the money and will not spend it until he picks it up. At least she is making a small percentage of interest on it.

Either way, I'll be heading home soon to help her out with whatever she does, but I would like to see her make a small profit at least.

Thanks.
edit on 12-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: COFFEE! Need more coffee!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well, I buy a lot of stuff off of ebay in the Vintage auto parts section, you might want to go that route...
Hell, if I lived near by I would be out there throwing money at her that I don't even have, lol....
Model A & T parts are worth a lot of money if they are in good shape, and most everything is restorable provided it isn't rusted out to nothing...
Another option would be to try out The H.A.M.B., quite a few guys on there would probably be interested...
Here's a link:
www.jalopyjournal.com...
You could also try the Ford Barn:
www.fordbarn.com...

I'm on the H.A.M.B., my handle is GothInA28Tudor...
Hope that gives you some ideas...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

Good for you man, at least you can keep your dignity, haha...
My buddy looks like he lost his soul...but that could be just because he's married with 2 kids..

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViktorHaze

Well, I buy a lot of stuff off of ebay in the Vintage auto parts section, you might want to go that route...
Hell, if I lived near by I would be out there throwing money at her that I don't even have, lol....
Model A & T parts are worth a lot of money if they are in good shape, and most everything is restorable provided it isn't rusted out to nothing...
Another option would be to try out The H.A.M.B., quite a few guys on there would probably be interested...
Here's a link:
www.jalopyjournal.com...
You could also try the Ford Barn:
www.fordbarn.com...

I'm on the H.A.M.B., my handle is GothInA28Tudor...
Hope that gives you some ideas...

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I’m sure I can build from there.

If you’re in the Wisconsin area, U2U me and I may be able to link you up. With my sisters permission…of course.

edit on 12-8-2012 by TDawgRex because: Fast thumbs...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Unfortunately I don't see my self in Wisconsin any time soon, but hey, you never know...
If I am I'll have a big truck and 10 gallons of wd-40 with me!
At any rate, if you do decide to put anything up on any of those sites, let me know... if I need a particular part, I have spent as much as 4 times what I paid for it in shipping costs, I'm that out of my mind, lol....

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
after 77 the only ones i still like are the camaros and firebird, and some el caminos and monte carlos, currently i drive an 80 firebird formula with a built 350 chevy. but i also have a 56 merc, have had a 64 dart and a 74 nova. my dad has a couple T's and several A's, also a 56 dodge pickup, and 58 chevy biscayne

top topics

join