It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need help with ram

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
hi ATS i need some help with my computer so here is my setup (concerning ram)
i have 4 slots and in slot 1 is a 1 gb ddr2 slot 2 has 2gb and this pattern repeats
lol i know its strange but it had 2 when i bought it and it was like that
anyway the problem is that the system says there is only 4 gb of ram total
so if i order them differently will it recognize the whole 6 gb or was i doomed to fail from the start????

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Whats your computer if its a name brand, model and brand.

If not whats the motherboard.

Some computers require memory be in equal pairs, or if not that the memory is put in a certain order on the board, so we are going to need more information.

also, this may sound silly, but double check to make sure the ram is properly seated in the slot.
edit on 12-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
32 bit Windows can only utilize 4 GB of ram. You need 64 bit Windows in order for your computer to recognize/use any more.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
ok its all brand name parts with a gigabyte motherboard (i know that dosent help much but i will post the model of the motherboard when i have a chance to check it )

EDIT: also its running windows 7 professional 64bit
edit on 12-8-2012 by tetriswoooo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
goto crucial memory's website as they've got a checking tool that will grab all the details and tell you exactly what you have and what it can support

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tetriswoooo

ok its all brand name parts with a gigabyte motherboard (i know that dosent help much but i will post the model of the motherboard when i have a chance to check it ) EDIT: also its running windows 7 professional 64bit

Well than that solves the OS part of it, your good there.

Next would be the type of memory, and how the motherboard requires it be placed, it could be as simple as the placement in the slots.

But seriously, double check the seating, make sure they are in all the way and secure...

I had a friend that that happened to and drove him nuts trying to fix it, poured through every bios setting and memory test... yea it was a friend... thats the ticket...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
the seating shouldent be the problem i i made sure of it when i inserted it so im hoping its just the placement

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

the seating shouldent be the problem i i made sure of it when i inserted it so im hoping its just the placement

I know at some point gigbyte changed it up, I have one that was seated one way, 1234, and the pairing had to be like 1 and 3, and 2 and 4.

But my old one was 1-2, and 3-4.

Really need to look in the manual for the exact motherboard you have.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
If the ram sticks are running at different frequencies this might also cause an issue.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
i have not been here that long, but untill two days ago i noticed alot of computer help forums poping up, it seems as if the asking for help on this site is just a way to discract and bury threads that have meaning if u need computer help go to a forum that specializes in computer help not a conspirecy web site

edit on 12-8-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

If im reading the OP properly, then seeing you have 4 sticks of ram, I would firstly Put the 2 Gig sticks in Slot 1 and 3 and then put the 1 Gig sticks in 2 and 4. as you have windows 7 64bit and also assuming the mother board is not limited to 4 Gig then this should work fine. how ever its does all need to be the same speed ram ie ddr2 4200 etc or 533-677 other wise the slowest will pull down the rest. now if you boot the computer when you first see the black windows before the windows splash screen it should tell you how much ram bios is recognising. it still could say 4 gig or mostly likely say its seen the full 6 gig. the reason you put the ram in the correct order is so the selection puts its highest first and then it runs in Dual which makes it run quicker. post the motherboard model number for accurate investigation, we can then better advise you.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
You can find an awful lot of information without opening your pc with this little program from CPUID

That should at least tell you someting about the memory AND your mainboard

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

i have not been here that long, but untill two days ago i noticed alot of computer help forums poping up, it seems as if the asking for help on this site is just a way to discract and bury threads that have meaning if u need computer help go to a forum that specializes in computer help not a conspirecy web site

Some instances of forum "sliding" are just "happenstance" others are well...

Thats why I frequently check the fire-hose instead of relying on the new topics page only, plus ATS has a computer help forum, but I understand your concern.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

Perhaps OP just likes to ask his friends in his favourite forum?

Perhaps it is a conspiracy to distract us all from other threads? Maybe even to have us consider REAL problems as opposed to imaginary?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Insert obligatory sheep joke here...

Well, I am from New Zealand.

edit on 12/8/2012 by chr0naut because: naughty spelling scrambling keyboard!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by HolgerTheDane2

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

Perhaps OP just likes to ask his friends in his favourite forum?

Perhaps it is a conspiracy to distract us all from other threads? Maybe even to have us consider REAL problems as opposed to imaginary?

almost spot on there i chose this site because i trust the people arent all out to screw me over and i didnt want to create an account on a computer forum for one post

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Kind of need more specs to help you. Most new motherboards require paired memory sims(Same size Sims). The reason for this is to do with timings. What memory does your mainboard use, DDR2, DDR3? Try using only the 2Gb sims in port 1 and 3 then see if the system will post the bios, if so then 4Gb is quite sufficient for any applications on the market to date, excluding only apps like Photoshop and the like.

If you really need to utilise all the boards memory ports then you can pick up 2x2Gb sims for around £25 depending on the type. You will also need a 64bit OS to use any more than 2Gb efficiently, eg Win 7 64bit version.
edit on 12-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

im glad ur intentions are pure

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

I know at some point gigbyte changed it up, I have one that was seated one way, 1234, and the pairing had to be like 1 and 3, and 2 and 4.

But my old one was 1-2, and 3-4.

Really need to look in the manual for the exact motherboard you have.

Ditto on this.
I've had numerous PC's over the years, and the layout of the RAM slots varies.
My last PC, in order to use the DDR function of the DDR2 RAM, had to be paired in slots 1/3, 2/4.
My current board is 1/2, 3/4.

So it depends on your board.
Speed of the RAM is irrelevant... except to say that all of the ram will operate at the speed of the slowest DIMM you have.

Best way to go is to check the BIOS. Press (del) or sometimes (F2) at startup... that'll let you into the BIOS and you can see how much RAM is listed in there.
If it's less than 6gb, then you'll know that either they're in the wrong slots, or some of your RAM is faulty.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
ok i have the model sorry it took so long

ga-ep45-ds3l
edit on 12-8-2012 by tetriswoooo because: i left out a number

EDIT 2: i have looked up the manual and apparently if i put the same sizes in the corresponding colours it should work e.g 2gb in the red and 1gb in the orange

thanks for all the help everyone

edit on 12-8-2012 by tetriswoooo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join