It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your Hero ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Well I'm gonna have to try and catch them. I seen Led Zeppelin so that hints at my age but I still make a handsome date ?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
My maternal grandfather. He went to war in WW2 before Canada even declared war. He had to transfer later from the British army once we did. He died in Jan. 2001. Cancer. I'm glad he didn't see what the world became after 911. He would have been sick.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Had to google Led! aha..

Depends.. are you Goerge Clooney?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

A man worthy of hero worship. I to am glad he didn't die with a broken heart Trep.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have to say my heros have changed overtime. When I served in Iraq, my heros were my brothers and sisters overseas. When I came back I entered different programs trying to decide what I wanted to make my career choice. I finally decided on getting my EMT and now Paramedic certification. On the ambulance I have met many people who I considered heros to me. One such was a man who was homeless and suffered drug addictions. A nice and generous family here took him in and allowed him to live in their shop out of the elements, while he became drug free. This man was clean for 3 weeks before his heart gave out and he passed away. He was my call. I have to say I look at this man like a hero. Being able to kick a drug habit with no family support, no true home, and nobody he really knows. His blood family was in Michigan, he was going to surprise them returning home in the next months sober and clean. I'll never forget that man.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Depends.. are you Goerge Clooney?

Most women say handsome. Not a god Sinny.

Hell I would go out with George.

Same age.
edit on 11-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

Man a growing list indeed. You people have me on a swing here.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
My hero is the one and only Jesus Christ. I'm also a fan of Michael the archangel. On an mere mortal level, I am a big fan of Clint Eastwood, Bruce Lee, and the musical talents of Bjork. Being a huge sports fanatic, I will spare everyone from the 50 foot 'scroll' in which the names of my sports heroes are written.
edit on 11-8-2012 by lambs to lions because: Addition

edit on 11-8-2012 by lambs to lions because: Spelling

edit on 11-8-2012 by lambs to lions because: Ridiculous

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I would have to say John Wayne.

Yeah, I know I should say my Dad or Jesus or somebody that helps little kids suffering from cancer ...

But it is the Duke.

So many times as a kid, I watched his movies on TV, be it the Sunday Afternoon Theater, which usually ran on Sundays after football season or maybe the ABC Sunday Night Movie..

Anyway, more correctly I liked the characters he played... they were my heroes. Funny, so many times now I catch myself doing very John Wayne kind of stuff.. being a leader at work, at church, in the community, or even just doing the right thing, I find his influence. The way I treat people, even those I don't agree with, or how to treat a woman, or standing up for your beliefs... even when they are not popular or with the crowd.

Some rules and reasons why John Wayne is my hero...

- Never hit a woman.
- Always tell the truth.
- Love little children and dogs... and horses.
- Always know the odds before you get in a fight... and when it is smart to just walk away.
- Always stand up for what you believe, know why you believe it, and be able to verbally defend it.
- Don't be too hasty to judge and respect someone else's view even when it is different than yours.
- Never dismiss a woman's abilities.
- Believe in things bigger than yourself...be it God or ideals or dreams.
- Know right from wrong, and if it doesn't feel right 100%... it is probably wrong.
- Don't ever fight unless you have to... and when you do, fight to win.
- Being a man doesn't always mean being a hard ass... sometimes it is OK to cry.
- Being a man means doing things the hard way sometimes, things that are scary or harsh.

Tommorow morning, I have a hard task in front of me. I have a 36 year old horse that I will have to put down. He is old and going lame and we can't get the weight on him that he will need for winter... he is hurting. It is not fair to let him suffer any more. Tommorow morning, I will feed him and brush him one last time as he eats... and then lead him down a path to the back pasture and shoot him. It tears my heart out and I am crying even now to just think of losing my good and dear old friend... but it is the right thing to do....

My wife can't do it and my kids won't do it... so I have to be the man... the SOB that will put down a trusted companion of many years... knowing in my heart that it is the right thing for my old horse... and having the courage and strength to do so is why John Wayne is my hero.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by caladonea

Who could not love this quote ?

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

I also like the Conor Oberst lyric: "As we take eye for an eye till no one can see, we must stumble blindly forward repeating history"

Oh and as long as we are picking out fictional characters as our heroes I suppose I'd have to add Batman.
edit on 11-8-2012 by jeantherapy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Well, I love the Duke too Al. My Ma and Pa took me to the drive in to see this one when I was 4. I still love this movie today. I love Maureen O'Hara as well.

Great movie.

Tommorow morning, I have a hard task in front of me. I have a 36 year old horse that I will have to put down. He is old and going lame and we can't get the weight on him that he will need for winter... he is hurting. It is not fair to let him suffer any more. Tommorow morning, I will feed him and brush him one last time as he eats... and then lead him down a path to the back pasture and shoot him. It tears my heart out and I am crying even now to just think of losing my good and dear old friend... but it is the right thing to do....

Al you are a John Wayne. Be sure not to waiver and shake my good man. Shoot him square, so you end it mercifully. I don't suppose it would cheer you up to tell you. I envy you, to be in the position where you gain such a task. My Dad trained Thoroughbreds and I long to be around horses one more time before I get old.

I sense a deep love for horses in you. My Pop was of the same nature.

I love how Chick hearn calls Secratariet last into turn 1. Then before he calls the first three horses at the top of turn 2, Secratarriet has already blown by 3/4 of the field. A tremendous horse with a heart 2 and 1/2 times the normal size..

THE HORSE THAT GOD BUILT.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks a lot for your generous words... I am sitting here drinking coffee dreading going to bed... because when I wake up, it will be time.

I don't know if many folks here can appreciate the task in front of me... I am glad to know you do.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Coffee before bed, won't that give you terrible nightmares? Glad to know you are doing the right thing, good luck mate.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks a lot for your generous words... I am sitting here drinking coffee dreading going to bed... because when I wake up, it will be time.

I don't know if many folks here can appreciate the task in front of me... I am glad to know you do.

A hard thing to do indeed. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and the task you dread. You know this is something you should do as lesson of mercy for your kids and that is a great great thing Al. I'm sure you will feel better once it's over. I to drink coffee at night.

What's your friends name ?:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join