It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars photo mystery solved (?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There's an explanation of what they did to know if that was the dust from the crash of the sky crane here.

I know that Curiosity has 17 cameras, but I don't see how they could be expecting it to capture the dust cloud from the crash of the sky crane.
1 - the photo must be taken just after the landing, if the camera came on some minutes later it wouldn't capture it
2 - the first camera to be turned on should be pointed in the right direction
3 - I suppose they don't really know how long a dust cloud from a crash takes to dissipate on Mars

But it looks like, even if they weren't expecting it, they thought it was a possible explanation when they saw it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
There's an explanation of what they did to know if that was the dust from the crash of the sky crane here.

I know that Curiosity has 17 cameras, but I don't see how they could be expecting it to capture the dust cloud from the crash of the sky crane.
1 - the photo must be taken just after the landing, if the camera came on some minutes later it wouldn't capture it
2 - the first camera to be turned on should be pointed in the right direction
3 - I suppose they don't really know how long a dust cloud from a crash takes to dissipate on Mars

But it looks like, even if they weren't expecting it, they thought it was a possible explanation when they saw it.

On point 1: Curiosity was programmed to start taking pictures ASAP. It was fortuitous that on the day, Mars Odyssey had completed it's turn and burn and re-deployed the HGA in time to catch the first images from Mars. In fact, Odyssey performed much better than expected.

On point 2: Not sure what you mean by that. Those cameras were "ON" from the moment the inertial sensors said, "We're not moving." All 8 hazcams were active and snapping pictures, we just got those particular images first.

On point 3: According to Adam Spetzner the final descent stage crashed with a fairly reasonable amount of fuel on board. Even in Mars' low oxygen atmosphere it would have made a big "bang."

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thank you for that link.

Eve though Curiosity has 17 cameras, I can understand why NASA was somewhat surprised by that photo.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

On point 2: Not sure what you mean by that. Those cameras were "ON" from the moment the inertial sensors said, "We're not moving." All 8 hazcams were active and snapping pictures, we just got those particular images first.

That's what I was thinking. And I assume that with those 8 haz cams they had full 360 degree vision. No sense in leaving blind spots.

So I don't see why they are surprised.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Check out what this guy finds from Curiosity. I tried to read all post up til now and I didn't see a post about this werid anomoily.

What do you think...?

And I total agree on OP's post concerning landing, this has nothing to do w/ landing...I don't think...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Wow!!
That video shows everything in a VERY different light...

Thank you very much Tracehd1 for posting that.
I recommend everyone to watch it.
Why would an object move towards the "explosion/crash-site"? Unless the YT poster has put together the pictures in the reversed order.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Good find.

Hope this turns out to be legit.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I took the liberty to embed the video for you.

edit on 11-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think it is pretty suspicious that we already have these anamolies and the mission just started.

Almost like it's on purpose.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229
On point 1: Curiosity was programmed to start taking pictures ASAP.
I was referring to the "AP" part of the "ASAP".

From what I have read about it (and it wasn't that much) I got the idea that the instruments are not all activated at once. Could you point me to a source of that information? Thanks in advance.

On point 3: According to Adam Spetzner the final descent stage crashed with a fairly reasonable amount of fuel on board. Even in Mars' low oxygen atmosphere it would have made a big "bang."
I think that, even if they expect a "bang" they did not really know what to expect from an explosion/crash on Mars, as (as far as I know) there wasn't any data about that, at least until now.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

What video is that that he is talking about? I thought that what is shown on that video was just one photo, not a video.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join