It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney to tap Ryan as vice presidential running mate: source

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by Domo1

Ha ha, that made me laugh.

If you have kids its a great series of books with loads of different characters. Mr Small, Mr Strong, Mr Dizzy, Mr Tickle are just some of the legends involved.

Back to Romneybot/Ryanface, I still think they have a good chance at pulling of this election, solely because of the state of the economy.

I really feel like I am having some sort of awful memory resurgence with that avatar. I want to call it Ms. Dot. Calling my Mom (or Mum you dirty Brit) tomorrow and sorting out this weird reaction to a happy looking whats it.

I really don't think anyone has a chance against Obama. He's too 'hip'. He's Facebook. Stupid, but really popular.

I really say really to much. Seriously.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
hmmm, I seriously need to give more credit to Romney... I mean I need to hear this from Romney's mouth and so far I've only come across "sources" that it is Paul Ryan. I'll wait abit, surely Romney has a better pick than Paul Ryan. Money can surely buy you better advice than Paul Ryan.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by Southern Guardian

Im not a republican for one thing.

Ryan is just one more authoritarian tyrant on the ballot. Same as Romney, Obama, McCain, Bush, Kerry, Gore, Clinton, Bush Sr., etc.....

I'll vote when there isnt an authoritarian on the ballot. Until then I'm officially a disenfranchised minority.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Research ???

I have just been awake and paying attention for a long time.

If anyone would bother looking back, not at the winners, at the losers of the last few election cycles they will very easily see what I am talking about.

We have been offered candidates with better qualifications and records than those who won the elections. And yet, when their records were "challenged" they simply rolled over and did not respond, even to a smear campaign. Others were made to look the fool and made no effort to rebut ny accusations.

I could go on but that is a part of this old "fool's" thoughts.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I'm surprised he didn't go with Rubio.
But it's a good choice. Although it means he just lost Florida.
Ryan is smart. He's not old and tired He's experienced. He can do the job.

... all things that Obama, Biden and Romney are NOT.

Ryan stands out .. he'll outshine the others. Again ... good choice.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Oh .. and I forgot ... I guess this just goes to show that all those threads that said 'sources say it'll be Rubio .. sources say it'll be Jindal ... sources say it'll be Christy ... etc etc' ... those 'sources' were all probably people who WANTED those to be the VP candidates and so they planted the names in the press.
excellent lesson on how we shouldn't buy into rumors ...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Isn't Ryan the idiot from Wisconsin who wants to effectively gut Medicare and whose budget ideas are utterly unrealistic? That Paul Ryan? Holy underwear, is Romney really that clueless? He just seems to tack aimlessly about. Hmmm. Looks like the Romney Unit has more software problems than I thought.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hi FF,

What segment of voters do you think Paul Ryan will help Romney with? Do think he'll bring in moderates? Or is Paul Ryan just on the ticket for Wisconsin? Personally I just don't see what he contributes to the ticket, other than to solidify the conservative base. I think he makes Wisconsin more a swing state, but I'm not sure whether Wisconsin is worth it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Romney to tap Ryan as vice presidential running mate: source

www.chicagotribune.com

NORFOLK, Virginia (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney plans to name Congressman Paul Ryan as his vice presidential running mate on Saturday in a move that will bring the debate over how to reduce government spending and debt to the forefront of the race for the White House.

Romney will introduce Ryan at the retired battleship USS Wisconsin - coincidentally named for Ryan's home state - in Norfolk, Virginia, at about 9 a.m. EDT (1300 GMT), according to a Republican official who asked not to be identified.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Great anther wannabe Ayn Rand asshole running for office. Can't wait until the country learns about his attempts to destroy medicare.

Under Ryan's plan...

The top tax rates would be cut to 25 percent from 35 percent; all taxes on capital gains, interest, and stock dividends would be eliminated; and, most controversially, the Ryan plan would privatize Social Security and Medicare.

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 11-8-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
What segment of voters do you think Paul Ryan will help Romney with?

The mid-west.
Younger voters who are borderline on who to vote for.
Fiscal conservatives (something Romney isn't).
Catholics.
Small business owners. (Ryan comes from this background .. he's 'one of them')

Paul Ryan is the Republican version of JFK (IMHO)

Where it will hurt him .... DEFINATELY Florida and with senior citizens across the country. He may take a hit on hispanics who wanted Rubio unless Romney comes out and says that Rubio will be in his cabinet ... like Secretary of Housing or something like that. I'm not sure how this will hit with evangelicals. Romney is Mormon and Ryan is Catholic ... both are things that evangelicals dis' all the time. But they might hold their noses and vote for Romney/Ryan anyways because on the other side is Obama (black liberation theology) and Biden (liberal Catholic).

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Willard is much like John Kerry in 2004. Talk a big talk, get the core base fired up and then along comes a scandal.

Lather, rinse and repeat my friends.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am glad I am not the only one here on ATS who believes this to not be a bad choice. This is not to suggest that there will be some great bump in polls from this or a new demographic of the electorate swinging Romney's way (which I do believe to be possible), but rather that in my opinion Ryan is a good candidate. Ryan, Romney, and I do not share the same view on a lot of issues. But the reason I like Ryan on the ticket is more of the attitude it displays on behalf of the GOP.

Being a Conservative but not of the George W. Bush kind, the GOP under that era seemed to be completely insane. Even listening to them speak gave me a headache. To me the character of the candidates, especially the way they present themselves, is almost as important as the issues. No, not that they need to be a healthy weight and be "good looking" but that they treat the offices they are pursuing with dignity, respect, and appreciation for the authority it holds, the symbolism it represents, and the traditions it maintains. A calm, collective, firm, and profession attitude is what the White House needs.

Is this going to get me to the polls? Probably not, mostly because I am a deeply cynical person towards modern American politics. That is just my $0.02.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

Bill Clinton balanced the budget and did a good job financially for this country. Most Americans didn't like how he got us there (like his military cuts) but it was necessary to go there in order to save our financial system Paul Ryans plan isn't going to please many people and there are things I dont' like in it but it is necessary in order to save the financial system from a complete breakdown.

Side Note - Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was excellent reading and she made some very good points. Have you actually read the book or are you just having a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that she exposed looters and leeches for what they are??

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
So the way I see it the elections over and the Nigeran won

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
That's not fair!!!!

I downloaded the Mitt VP app. I was supposed to be the first one to know.

Just kidding

Does the battleship in the background mean more wars? Reminds me of Bush Mission Accomplished fiasco.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Paul Ryan was in the top 3 or 4 on the short list and makes sense on several levels:
1) He will energize he conservative (tea party) base more than most others considered.
2) You wont here others talk about the "name" but it is a consideration (almost subliminal):
a) there is the alliteration from the "R" first letter of the last name ("Romney-Ryan")
b) 3 out of 4 of the letters in RYaN are shared by RomNeY (pleasing to the subconscious)
c) Romney has 6 letters which is greater than Ryan with 4 (President > Vice President)
(i) The total of Romney & Ryan (as it will be used together) is 10 letters suggesting completion
(ii) not relevant to the VP but I just noticed that "ROMnEy" has "ROME" in it ("all roads lead to...")

As to #2 above; OBAMA-BIDEN has the subtle alliteration in the "B" sound and both names have 5 letters (balance and totals 10).

edit on 11-8-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
What segment of voters do you think Paul Ryan will help Romney with?

The mid-west.
Younger voters who are borderline on who to vote for.
Fiscal conservatives (something Romney isn't).
Catholics.
Small business owners. (Ryan comes from this background .. he's 'one of them')

Paul Ryan is the Republican version of JFK (IMHO)

Where it will hurt him .... DEFINATELY Florida and with senior citizens across the country. He may take a hit on hispanics who wanted Rubio unless Romney comes out and says that Rubio will be in his cabinet ... like Secretary of Housing or something like that. I'm not sure how this will hit with evangelicals. Romney is Mormon and Ryan is Catholic ... both are things that evangelicals dis' all the time. But they might hold their noses and vote for Romney/Ryan anyways because on the other side is Obama (black liberation theology) and Biden (liberal Catholic).

Ryan is only catholic in name and that is it. Catholic groups and theologians — and even the Catholic bishops — have been saying that in fact the GOP plan fails to meet the basic "moral criteria" of Catholic teaching. Ryan's budget plan of helping the wealthy while screwing over everyone else doesn't go too well with Catholic values.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Well it is official he did pick Paul Ryan.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by longlostbrother

Bill Clinton balanced the budget and did a good job financially for this country. Most Americans didn't like how he got us there (like his military cuts) but it was necessary to go there in order to save our financial system Paul Ryans plan isn't going to please many people and there are things I dont' like in it but it is necessary in order to save the financial system from a complete breakdown.

Side Note - Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was excellent reading and she made some very good points. Have you actually read the book or are you just having a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that she exposed looters and leeches for what they are??

Ryan's plan will in no way save our system. The Tax Policy Center looked into the revenue loss associated with House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan's plan to cut the tax code down to two rates of 10 percent and 25 percent. They estimate the changes would raise $31.1 trillion over 10 years, or 15.4 percent of GDP. That's $10 trillion less than the tax code would raise if the Bush tax cuts were allowed to expire, and $4.6 trillion less than it would raise if all of the Bush tax cuts were extended.

The Republican congressman says he'll "broaden the tax base to maintain revenue...consistent with historical norms of 18 to 19 percent." So let's say Ryan needs to find close-enough deductions and loopholes to hit 18.5 percent of GDP. That means he'd need to close about $6.2 trillion in tax deductions and loopholes over 10 years.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Nah Romneys gonna run with Rand Paul........

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join