It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid Gold AKA Urine for your Plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Something i learned a couple years ago from a young farmer was the benefits of using urine to fertilize your plants. Urine is high in Nitrogen, Phosphorus and potassium, the basic building blocks of all fertilizers.

When mixed with wood ash and water, the PH is balanced out and is safe to use in moderate amounts. I'm not sure about how much wood ash to mix in, but you dilute the urine with about 1 part urine to 10-15 parts water. If you are just peeing on your plants undiluted, you have to be careful to not give them too much or else it can kill them. Personally I only pee on a plant once a week or every other week and I try to spread it out and not concentrate it in one area. Spread the love!

I know some people might think this is dirty, but to my understanding urine is actually pretty sterile. You can also follow some basics such as aiming for the roots not the fruit and not fertilizing your plants for a couple weeks before harvest. some basic watering, rain and then washing the fruit after harvest should cure most peoples doubts. Something to remember if this grosses you out is that most people in the survival forum are probably just growing for themselves, not to mass produce for market.

It is also useful for compost piles and can help give the nitrogen it needs to start steaming and really decomposing. I think its harder to over do it for the compost pile but its probably still possible.

heres one link done with tomatomes, where tomatoes 4 x bigger were produced.
www.treehugger.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
But would you drink it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Ive seen this when reasearching Aqua ponics, I prefer that to using "pee-ponics" as you get fist to eat as well as food...

Don't know about using pee to grow edibles, even if its just psychological.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ReallyNiceGuy

If I was in a dire situation....which would never happen cause I'm fit from eating urine veggies.OP has a point,its true

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I've used urine on a good majority of my plants for many years,
Only in the vegetative stage though.

Mix 1 measured cup of pee to 1 gallon of water, and you have some great, nitrogen filled plant food that the plants love. They thrive on it.

You just have to use it all at once when you make it, or dump what you don't use
Don't want to be storing piss in jugs. lol

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Don't know about using pee to grow edibles, even if its just psychological.

Why?
Most plant foods have all kinds of gross things in them.
Liquified fish guts, animal poop of all different kinds, and lots of other gross things.
But you still eat the veggies that were grown with it. . lol

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
Don't want to be storing piss in jugs. lol

It's the way of the road, bubs.
Good thread here guys. I piss on my compost pile regularly. Was never sure about right onto the plants/soil, thanks for clarifying.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Oh. Pee on your plants!!

I was doing it wrong. That's why my veggies taste like sh*t.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
That's brilliant!!! Reckon I just won't tell the family how I got my spinach so leafy. I'm gonna have to try it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yep pee works. One thing though don't use too much of it because the salts can effect the plants ability to uptake other nutrients besides nitrogen. But yep it works great. Wood ash from a fireplace is great.

Like the previous poster said only pee on the plants during vegetive stages of growth. If the plant starts fruiting and you are giving it high doses of Nitrogen you will confuse it and have it create low yields of fruit.

Never use your poop though. Thats a no no. any animal that is omni or carni will have toxic poop. So only use poop from animals that are 100% veggie eaters.

Harvest kelp when yu go to the ocean. And if you catch fish bury the guts when you are cleaning them in your back yard to augment the nutrients in the soil.

new topics

top topics

join