It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I were a Christian,

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I would be ecstatic. I would know that all I have to do is believe Jesus is my savior and I’ll spend an eternity in Heaven. I know there are a bunch of other rules about stoning, genocide, and stuff I should follow, but it seems all I have to do is worship Jesus and believe that through this worship, I can get one of the spots in Heaven that he secured for us. The best I can tell is that Jesus wants me to be understanding, protective, and helpful. I’m not sure why this is necessary if all I have to do is believe that Jesus died for my sins so God would let me into Heaven. However, there seems to be something about doing no harm that Jesus is saying. He seems to be enforcing caring but nullifying stoning and genocide. It seems vague to me. So, to be sure I’m doing the right thing, I would take up a skill like medicine or carpentry and give away my services so that all may benefit. I would of course accept food and shelter. To not survive would be suicide. I know that I can’t kill myself and get into Heaven. I have to wait for God to kill me. I would spend every moment beaming with joy knowing of my eternal Heavenly reward. I would happily and enthusiastically tell all about Jesus, because salvation would be helping them. My life would consist of helping, preaching, and asking for forgiveness just in case I’ve offended God. I would suffer no pain, as pain would mean nothing to me. This life would be nothing to me but a door to my eternal bliss. I would have only a roof over my head and a Bible. I would know that any pleasure this life has to offer is a lie compared to the joyous truth of Heaven.

Is this how Christians act?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Not Exactly.....
Works are not what it takes. Head knowledge is not what it takes.... doing good is okay but no guarantee of a seat at the table...

How about it's all about what is in your heart.. His forgiveness is based on true repentance and faith and belief. Not many people could live like you imagined. good try but it doesn't take what you have detailed.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Double post. Sorry
edit on 10-8-2012 by dakota1s2 because: double post

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Don't worship Christ, worship GOD but do follow Christ's teachings.

And yes, to answer your question, alot of Christians I know believe in what you posted and I personally think they are wrong. ^see above^

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

As Peter said "my Lord and my God"

I believe worship both since Jesus and the Father are One.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
I personally think they are wrong. ^see above^

I saw above, and I don't understand how this is wrong. This life would seem so insignificant to me if I could imagine a blissful eternity. I see there is debate on who to worship. The way the Bible plays out, It seems to say "Ignore all that stuff about being violent and harsh and go with the updates." So, John's update has now been updated? Are Christians now to worship God and just give nod to Jesus? I could process the update. However, it wouldn't change my attitude about this life. This would be an infinitesimally short and poorly designed existence compared to never ending bliss.
edit on 10-8-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I believe that Jesus was our gift from GOD (he showed us how to live and act throughout or lives to appease the Lord, our Father) Jesus was the only "begotten" son but we are all sons and daughters of the Lord. I look at worshiping Christ as worshiping a false Idol, Christ himself wouldn't want to be worshiped. We are to only give praise and thanks (worship) GOD. Its in the 10 commandments, you know the 10 that were taken from the hundreds of original commandments.

Let the flaming commence.
edit on 10-8-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Is there any point to that giant wall of text?

Real Christians know how to use the "Return" key

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If you were a christian then you would love me even though i'm an abrassive a$$hole.
Just love.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
If you were a christian then you would love me even though i'm an abrassive a$$hole.
Just love.
I can't help but do that, because I love myself. We are all the same animal. No matter how weird we get, I naturally understand.

I guess I should hand out stars, since it's a thread I started.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Aww, you tricked me. I was sure you were going to say that you would have peace of mind knowing that your sins were forgiven, and joy filled knowing that the God that created the universe loved you enough to suffer and die on your behalf but.... This being ATS, the bastion for the Jesus Christ hating public, I should have expected a sarcastic post filled with doctrinal error that is repeated constantly, despite being refuted time after time.

Feel free to read my signature, I think it applies once again

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Dear gentledissident,

"If I were a Christian" May I suggest that you become one, learn and come back in oh, six months or a year, and report back?

You could go Catholic or Protestant. My suggestion would be Catholic as it is older and doesn't have all the denominations that Protestantism has, but it's up to you.

Remember to check back with us.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
Its in the 10 commandments, you know the 10 that were taken from the hundreds of original commandments.

Let the flaming commence.

It's in the 10 commandments that thou shalt not kill (murder). Soooo, mankind murdered Jesus and, HOLY MACARONI, our sins got forgiven! Yay!

Wonder how good god would be to us if we broke the other nine?

P.S. Word of advice, kimish. DUCK!

edit on 8/10/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
Aww, you tricked me. I was sure you were going to say that you would have peace of mind knowing that your sins were forgiven, and joy filled knowing that the God that created the universe loved you enough to suffer and die on your behalf but.... This being ATS, the bastion for the Jesus Christ hating public, I should have expected a sarcastic post filled with doctrinal error that is repeated constantly, despite being refuted time after time.

Feel free to read my signature, I think it applies once again

I was just telling you how I'd be transformed. I don't think I would be overwhelmed about an all powerful being deciding to die and love. That seems like child's play for a God. Giving me eternal life seems like an easy task for a God who can do anything as well. Being able to do anything makes everything easy. However, eternal life would be my reward. It would be far greater than anything else. Imagine an eternity (that's forever) of effortless pain free enjoyment. That comes nowhere close to this life. I would keep my eye on the prize. I would be perpetually excited about my, for all practical purposes, real existence and the immense joy it would bring me. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or debate scripture. I'm just letting you know how I would react If I knew there were an afterlife like that to be obtained.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I'm just letting you know how I would react If I knew there were an afterlife like that to be obtained.

You have to become something, not obtain something.
edit on 10-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2
reply to post by kimish

As Peter said "my Lord and my God"

I believe worship both since Jesus and the Father are One.

Uhh..

That was Thomas my friend... One "doubting" Thomas... and you don't see any Gospels named after him in the bible do you?

So the question is, what does Thomas know either way?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

I'm just letting you know how I would react If I knew there were an afterlife like that to be obtained.

You have to become something, not obtain something.
edit on 10-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

I explained what I would become in my 1st post.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I was a Christian, practicing. I left it for many reasons, but mostly because of the lies from the pulpit, which I called the preacher on one too many times, and it got me kicked out. After many years, and after the complete and unbiased study of all the religions, I finally settled on Wicca, because Wicca is the only religion that has a Duality in the Divine, both a God, and a Goddess.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
after the complete and unbiased study of all the religions, I finally settled

I don't know why I'd need any religion. However, if eternal bliss were proven to me, I would gleefully jump through any hoops required.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I explained what I would become in my 1st post.

I disagree with your take on that.
You are making it out as a formula of: have belief → get reward
Eternity wants a few good people.
God provides the way to become that, which starts with belief.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join