It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Las Vegas protest signs go too far?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It was a sight that caused dozens of 911 calls to flood police stations and shocked motorists. Billboards with anti-Wall Street slogans and complaining about lack of jobs were accompanied by a hanged man swaying in the breeze, dangling below the roadside billboards.

Luckily, they were only mannequins hanging below the signs but they sure did get a lot of people's attention.

Billboard with dummy on noose shocks Vegas drivers

Even by Las Vegas standards, it was a shocking billboard: A mannequin dangling on a hangman's noose below a black sign with the ominous words "Dying for Work."

Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Jeremie Elliott says the 911 calls started coming in as the sun came up early Wednesday, with drivers worried the stiff, black-suited dummy swaying at the end of a rope along Interstate 15 near Bonanza Road was a real person.

"It's a publicity stunt, obviously done in bad taste," said Elliott, adding that officials were focused on getting it down quickly to avoid distracting drivers during the morning commute.

"We condemn the destructive behavior against one of our billboards because it is illegal and punishes our advertisers," Clear Channel Outdoor spokesman Jim Cullinan said in a statement. "This is not an innocent protest, but it is illegal and dangerous behavior that Clear Channel Outdoor and the industry will not accept."

Although the billboard alarmed drivers, it's unclear whether regulations in the area ban roadside signs with graphic depictions of suicide. A spokesman for the Nevada Department of Transportation said there didn't appear to be state regulations on the matter, and a spokeswoman for Clark County was also not aware of rules against the subject matter.

Phillyburbs.com

Sure, the signs were in bad taste and caused a panic among motorists but, you have to admit, they do make a strong point about the state of the economy today and the lack of justice for the banksters who created this whole mess.

Right now, nobody is taking responsibility for the signs but, the Occupy Las Vegas website has pics of the billboards featured prominently on their site.

Clark County has the second highest rate of adult suicide in the country right now. It has the fifth highest rate of child suicide. And, thanks to the governor’s draconian education budget, the Social Work programs that used to supply volunteers and interns to help such people have been de-funded. The Clark County suicide hotline number is “not in service at this time.” Nevada has the highest sustained unemployment of any state in the U.S. with almost no real hope in sight and politicians more concerned with corporate campaign donations than they are helping the middle class & poor.

Was this a good way to make a point about the economy and the lack of funding for the suicide hotline or was it a reckless stunt that could have endangered drivers who saw the sign on their way to work?

edit on 8/10/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

What happens in vegas stays in vegas!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Theres a lot of angry sentiment out there toward Wall St and Banks in general...

I fear for what happens after the courts prove to be deaf to the crys of injustice.

These type of things are just the start.

I would love to know who is behind them as well, as I always am leery of the Agent Provocateurs.
edit on 10-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Looks like a deflection. Obama cut the legs off of gambling, remember. Seemed like yesterday.

Not that that's bad. One of the few statements that I agree with, from the world citizen.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Poor taste followed by more poor taste...
I dont think this is the answer anyone is looking for.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
To far...?

Or not far enough?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The message has everybody talking about it.

I say it did well. And cheep also.

They should have made one, that dealt with Politicians too. Whats the unemployment rate again?

Where ARE the Jobs?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
To me these billboards are like yelling Fire in a theater.

Someone could have been distracted enough to be killed or cause someone else to be killed.

Not OK - - on a highway.

In an enclosed structure not visible from the highway - - that would probably be OK.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Where ARE the Jobs?

That's an easy question. Over seas or robot controlled. 1000 people to put a car together vs 1 and a machine.
Ever drive by roadwork and notice that 1 guy is sitting on a machine and 10 are sitting around?

I personally like the billboard because it offends people's little bubble, but I'd be for billboards showing cancerous lungs and aborted babies, and I doubt those would go by without public outrage.
I think it'd be more effective if all the lawmakers had to drive by it on their way to play politics instead of the average joe seeing it, but still.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The message has everybody talking about it.

I say it did well. And cheep also.

They should have made one, that dealt with Politicians too. Whats the unemployment rate again?

Where ARE the Jobs?

I want one !!! a job or at least take the prices back to 1986 which represents the mean wage earned today

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB

Where ARE the Jobs?

That's an easy question. Over seas or robot controlled. 1000 people to put a car together vs 1 and a machine.
Ever drive by roadwork and notice that 1 guy is sitting on a machine and 10 are sitting around?

I personally like the billboard because it offends people's little bubble, but I'd be for billboards showing cancerous lungs and aborted babies, and I doubt those would go by without public outrage.
I think it'd be more effective if all the lawmakers had to drive by it on their way to play politics instead of the average joe seeing it, but still.

Yeah.....

Our ecconomy, is stagnant. I think given the times, we need more shock ads, that will get people to think. Actually, we need ads, that will get lawmakers, to think.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think Annee is 100% right. That's a bad town for the interchanges anyway and distraction by just changing volume on the radio can get wild. I must admit, I'd sure have taken my eyes off things to stare hard at that...all 80,000lbs of me. Not good....

Yeah, within site of a traveled highway, especially an Interstate, this was dangerous. I hadn't considered it until you said it Annee, but once said, it's the only thing I CAN think about on it. I'm shocked there weren't wrecks... Of course, how do we know there weren't?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The traffic problem is one thing, I was also thinking that some poor depressed guy might want to recreate one of those signs FOR REAL!

They have copycat killers, might these signs inspire copycat dyers as well?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I agree that it's placement on an interstate might be a safety issue, regarding people calling the police on their phones, and looking at the sign while driving at a high rate of speed.

However, I see the irony in this. Had there been a fatal accident due to this billboard, there would have been a job opening.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I love it! Very creative to getting a point across for some people, however, I work for a company that sells solar products. People cannot have been in a bankruptcy, or loan modification in the last two years to qualify for government and incentives to make their homes more energy efficient.

It's almost depressing to make phone calls to the Las Vegas area, including Henderson, NV.

The amount of people being forclosed on, or who are in upside down loans seeking a loan modification because of, is unsettling, in the least.

Lot's of unemployed folks..........it is very sad.

If anyone is interested though, about the cheapest place to live int he country, per my phone calls is Boulder city. They have extremely low utility rates due to licensing agreements for the Hooover damn.

I have my eye in that area of the country to move to!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
To far...?

Or not far enough?

My thoughts exactly.

People are pissed off. We are reaching the point where we have all had enough. Poor taste? Yeah I guess you could say that... but I dont care anymore about what people think is in "poor taste". Know what I find to be poor taste? Bailing out bankers who have already made more money in the last 15 years than I will see in my lifetime. I find it to be "poor taste" that these jackoff banks get bailed out, then suddenly their executives are making record bonuses.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Yea- we have some crazy billboards here in Las Vegas- but Id have to say- the blackbillboard stated nothing but truth.

People are pissed off out here, and this is the end result.

Yes, it could have caused accidents, no doubt.

With or without the hangman, the billboards are an accurate depiction of what its like out here to find work.

We have a huge illegal immigration problem here also which doesnt help the locals at all when it comes to finding that work.

Last time I checked- there are 5 unemployed people for every job posting. And most of those job postings are for "sales jobs".

This city is in trouble big time. That is why I am relocating. I already have a job, but I barely get by on my wages.

Not to mention the cops out here are working double to make sure they get their speeding tickets issued out.
They just closed the North Las Vegas Jailhouse which was built about 3 years ago. They released a bunch of inmates and sent the others to the other jails.

Its ridiculous out here now when just 8 years ago we were on top of the world.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I just got back to check here and my goodness, you are right on that and I hadn't even thought of it. Now that you mention it though, yeah. Someone already suffering depression probably never considered that way and so high profile and ..Yeah, that's a bad example to set, isn' it?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Point 1. The sign was effective, it has people talking, no, it didn't go to far.

Point 2. The jobs? Never were on Wall St. Business owners aren't hiring for two main reasons.

Reason 1. ACA. People are waiting until the election to see if ACA will, in fact, be inflicted upon the country. They aren't spending money on new hires or for growing their companies because they still don't know the potential cost/impact on the US from ACA (Obamacare).

Reason 2. Taxmageddon. Business owners are conserving funds due to the potential rise in taxes. The uncertainty inhibits growth and new hires because businesses don't know if they'll have the money.

(my opinion, now talk amongst yourselves
)
edit on 10-8-2012 by beezzer because: this edit was brought to you by the letter D

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Anything that focuses on death does indeed go too far, just like Obama's negative ad blaming Romney for someone's death.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join