It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon helps build Meshworm reconnaissance robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Engineers have created a robot that mimics a worm's movements - crawling along surfaces by contracting segments of its body.

The technique allows the machine to be made of soft materials so it can squeeze through tight spaces and mould its shape to rough terrain.

It can also absorb heavy blows without sustaining damage.

The Pentagon's Darpa research unit supported the Meshworm project, suggesting a potential military use.

Hilary Clinton would love one of these.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Why would Hillary Clinton love one of these?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Self gratification?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
What about this?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Exactly, she dances like she's got a Meshworm up her ass.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Looks like a piece of turd to me from the image

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
my question is how close to the target do you gotta be to release these things? Seems like if they move at the pace of a worm then it will take a long time for them to get into a good position to spy. I'm imagining these things are supposed to creep inside your walls ooze out of cracks in the walls or floors and spy. So say you wanted to use these to spy on the Iranian nuke reactors they are trying to build. Wouldn't you already have to have a spy on the scene to release them inside the building or right outside of it. Maybe they have a robotic lifelike bird that they remote control fly over the compound and at the right moment it spits up these worms like a normal bird and keeps on flying. Payload delivered.

They are interesting none the less.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I forgot to add the source link

www.bbc.com...
It gets weirder.
Other examples include a robotic "cheetah" that can run at speeds of 18mph (29km/h), a micro-aircraft equipped with a camera that looks like a hummingbird, and AlphaDog - a four-legged robot designed to carry soldiers' gear.

Batteries not included.
edit on 10-8-2012 by abdel because: I added something o.k.?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This thing is really cool. I saw it this morning.

There are many different applications this technology could be used for.

The reporter is an idiot, and obviously didn't learn anything about the robot before reporting on it.

The wire is a Titanium-Nickle alloy, making it essentially crush proof.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This cheetah robot reminds me rather forcefully of CH 1446s idea for a killer kitty robot for the military. I have always dreaded that some geeks somewhere read that thread and decided to make it a reality. For those who are interested here's the thread in question.

killer kitty

new topics

top topics

join