It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern medicine, anti-venom, and makeshift first aid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
First, I've used the search feature and could not find find a similar topic within 4 pages so hopefully there's no dupe.

I had just purchased some new items to my survival kit and started to think about what happens if a snake bites me? Or what if a bee stings and I'm allergic? I'm not, but what if? If I cut my hand pretty bad or get in a fight with a wild animal and need to treat the wound, what can I grab from nature to help?

These are all basic questions that novices should know how to answer. But sometimes people have different methods or prefer different brands and I think this can be the thread all about it. I'm not very knowledgeable with the medical aspect of survival so I'll be learning a lot in this thread and then some with some literature I will pick up soon.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

Those are great questions! The key question I found you ask was the term "in nature" I hope someone has the answer.

If not in nature I would keep some benadryl on hand for allergies, and a wrapped maxi pad for wounds available....And most people do not know this but if you get a bloody nose that wont stop bleeding after 15 minutes, you can shove a tampon up your nose.....its painful! But it works.....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Another good one is feminine nakins.They are individually wrapped
and could be used for larger wounds such as gun shot wounds.You
can use duct tape to secure them to your body.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
reply to post by Em2013

shove a tampon up your nose.....its painful! But it works.....

LOL, I like your style.

I don't have any natural solutions, other than rubbing mud/silt on bee stings.
I know that you can kill poisonous venom with electricity. I had to use a modified tazer on a bad recluse bite once, I let the bite go for a few days before I attended to it, which is a big mistake, and I have a massive scare because I waited. You want to shock the bite immediately. This can be done with a spark plug in a pinch.

The electrotype method is not for children or elderly! do not use on them.
Last resort; hacksaw blade; sever the bite/limb
edit on 10-8-2012 by SmikeS because: DANGER!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well, always keep a small tube of super glue in your medical kit. You can use it for stitches.
If you dont have that, then a really thin needle and thread works too. You can practice suturing by using those pickled pig feet you can find at your local supermarket.

I feel that medical equipment is often overlooked in a SHTF scenario. There is a weed that grows in urban areas that supposedly helps clot blood.
You can also use a green tea bag to clot blood too.

And is it true that if you get bitten, you can suck the venom out of your body?

You can use tobacco and mud to get out a bee stinger. Chew up some cigarette tobacco, and apply to the sting, rub it around. Then get some mud, (preferably colder mud), And rub it on the sting too. Then it should reduce the swelling and the stinger will be sticking out. easy pickins!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
For a wasp sting my dad used spit (saliva) on a copper coin and that worked.

On all other bites and nettle stings, we use ammonia in a roll-on stick. (Ammonia is in wee/urine.)

Buy magnesium sulphate (really cheap and old remedy) for anything like a allergic blister. It is good for fungal problems too.

Vitamain E cures warts and helps with wound healing after suturing; prevents scarring.
These three things are in my BOB.

In nature, no ideas.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
comfrey plant, look into this one. Known as knit bone, it helps seal wounds and mend bones. Its the best plant to grow for medicine, very hearty, once it starts growing its actually really hard to get rid of as the roots are really strong.

Another interesting one is cayene pepper powder for bleeding wounds. you can either drink it throw it on the wound. should stop bleeding in about 10 seconds.

also you should just take some basic first aid and CPR class. Its applicable even if you don't have all the modern medical tools, you can always wrap a wound with even cloth and use the techniques learned in them. As a survivalist, taking first aid and CPR was one of the most interesting things i did in terms of prepping.

www.herballegacy.com...
edit on 10-8-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

top topics

join