It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One image to sum up the mainstream media

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The problem with the mainstream media, in my opinion, ( get ready for it.... ) US! We are the consumers and all media does is provide us with the product we desire. The media folks, like politicians, are addicts when it comes to numbers and polls... they give us what we ask for.

Thus we create a pressure and demand for particular kinds of stories.... and then they are left to try and deliver.

So let's beat the system and show them, through our own viewing/surfing habits that the commodity we really desire is the truth and not shock value.

Having said that... if every news channel in the world suddenly developed a perfect ethical standard... the one remaining tabloid station would probably have the highest ratings still. We do so love our drama.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
as much as I love to poke fun at the mass media... if you look closer you can see BEHIND them it gets MUCH deeper, compare the two cars for example.. just over the lower part of the tire next to the guy walking, yet almost completely covering the wheel of the truck further back..

Imagine trying to walk over to the semi in the distance..not going to do that without a boat - so in this aspect the woman is correct!

(don't just see what others do, go and LOOK at things)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
For those of you interested in further digging I recommend some of these:

Photo Tampering throughout History
link

Famous Manipulated Photos – Pre Photoshop
link

Some other examples of manipulations
link

In other words, it has been done, it is done and it shall be done. Media is a tremedous power.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Oh geez

She actually lied about how they need the rafts to get across the street... that's too rich

Whats even funnier is the fact that you can see that the closest vehicle just barely has the bottom part of the tires underwater. You would have to be pretty dense to actually believe that news story as I am sure in most people's minds something would have said "hey wait a minute...".

But yeah, the guy walking across the street was a hilarious punchline

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
i see msm like this..

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

You might have a point. However, most of the poles don't look like they are in deep water. Also, the truck seems to be in as much water as the car to the far right. Some of the back of the truck is blurred due to the surface of the water as you can see the effect with some of the poles as well.

Even if the water truly was deep I still don't think it is necessary to go out in rafts down the street. I truly think this may have been a little bit of a joke. If it wasn't a joke then it was a dramatization that was turned into a joke by a single man

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

This has got to be a joke. The people in the boat look as thought they are sitting in there living room or something.... No stress, just chillin out.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

ten inches of water is still a flood and can cause a lot of damage...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

At most its perhaps four inches of water but I think you're missing the point somewhat.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
The Time Magazine seems to avoid geopolitical topics for its US customers.
IMHO, concealment is the most used form of manipulation.
If nobody in the media talks about a specific topic, the topic doesn't exist in the population.

Good find OP

edit on 10.8.2012 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Yeah, it still causes damage. But to use boats? Where i come from they use boats to report floods when the water is more than the height of a man.

And the guys in the raft can barely keep from laughing their asses off.

I wonder how much did they get paid to be part of this.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Lamestream media had me rolling on the floor this morning, thanks OP

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
they are so blatant when you actually watch properly.you can also see on the right hand side that the water barely goes above the tyre,maybe 6 to 8 inches high on the white van.why the hell did the camera pan out so you could see the van and man?another example of them not caring whether we notice.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I just like the face of the guy next to the reporter.

You can see from his expression and his posture it's all a joke.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth
But the thing is.....y'all buy into that crap. You still pay to employ these network employees. Everything on TV is there FOR A REASON. Same thing goes for billboard ads and magazine articles. These people have been doing this, for a very long time. You're NEW to the game. These people, have mastered it!

Yet I don't even have TV. I gave up that years ago already...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
rofl..sorry but it shows more how YOU perceive things....you can see the cars in the background showing you how deep it is..and of course they just dont want to have wet feet

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
While flooding is traumatic for the victims, here's the exact same thing from the Today show in '07 - funny as its led in to from a story on how some news stories are set up:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR

great !
thanks for the clip

Of course! Anything to show how stupid the talking heads are!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elzon1

Oh geez

She actually lied about how they need the rafts to get across the street... that's too rich

Whats even funnier is the fact that you can see that the closest vehicle just barely has the bottom part of the tires underwater. You would have to be pretty dense to actually believe that news story as I am sure in most people's minds something would have said "hey wait a minute...".

But yeah, the guy walking across the street was a hilarious punchline

It does make you wonder if it was a joke or if they were trying to pull more sympathy for things like a Government loans after declaring a state of emergency...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

the point here is that they deliberately manipulated the reporting to make it look different to how it was. nobody is denying there was a flood that was xx ft deep... they deliberately misled the audience to believe something else. So, if they can do something as trivial as this, you can be damn sure these tricks are used all over the news media to manipulate stories.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join