It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI: Those that think Christians can't be the victims of "hate" crimes in the US... Think again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
So, essentially a evangelistic "preacher" gets out in a Walmart parking lot, sets up speakers, and beings to sing and preach.

This "offends" people so much, they try to kill him, and would have, if not for the intervention of two witnesses.

Welcome to the "new" and "enlightened" America. Seems there's enough hate to go around these days that EVERYONE gets some equal opportunity hate and violence.

Authorities said that's when the male subject threatened the preacher with a handgun, ordering him to stop preaching.

"The guy just walked up with no question," Duffy said. "Just took a gun out of his pocket and held it to my head, and she was standing there holding this dagger."

Local NBC News Affiliate Reports
edit on 9-8-2012 by gncnew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

What?! So... now only conservatives can be religious? Way to play your stereotype, man.

Anyway, to the OP: Wow, this is horrible. It's horrible because it is somebody who is offending people with his speech but it's responded to with violence. That is never acceptable. I'm glad to hear the two that came to his aid will probably live.
edit on Thu Aug 9 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

There have always been psychopaths and extremists. 10 or 20 years ago, this absolutely could have happened. You just probably would not have heard about it.

Remind me again what liberals have to do with anything...?

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

20, or even 10 years ago this NEVER would have happened in this country. Not this brazenly. Unbelievable. The liberal agenda has really taken hold of some morons, hasn't it? Liberalism is a mental disorder people, this is evidence.

True.....20 years ago Southern Baptist rednecks were dragging black men behind their trucks. 60 years ago a Protestant put Japanese people in camps and a couple hundred years ago Christians were proud slave owners. Not to mention the war in the Middle East rooted in "Christian values" that killed over a million people and counting.

You would think that with a track record like that no one would ever think of crossing a Christian!

I know that's a bit extreme but please explain to me why you say that.

And what the hell does liberalism have to do with this? The article said nothing about the attackers political or religious affiliation, so what do you base that statement off of?

Let me guess....if a dog crapped in your front yard......Must of been liberals.
The power goes out...must of been liberals.
The mailman is running late...must of been liberals.

Do you even realize how pathetic and moronic your statement is, yet you call liberalism a mental disorder? Thanks for giving us conservatives a bad reputation. With crap like that rolling out of our mouths no wonder people think we are an intolerable bunch of bible-thumping bigots.

edit on 9-8-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

60 years ago a Protestant put Japanese people in camps

Don't remember that, unless your referencing the US's Governments continued history of gross civil rights violations in regards to the Japanese interment camp.

Way to pawn that off on Christians instead of painting the target on the real problem, the US gov continued stepping on the Constitution.

I guess every Muslim that straps a bomb to his chest makes everyone who wears a turban a terrorist right? I mean if we are talking gross exaggerations we might as well go full bore... Thinking like yours led to the temple shooting in Wisconsin.

I mean since we are talking in gross exaggerations.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a dagger and a handgun.....listen up-
these days don't even hint at either in public or private....they get to answer for any showing or hinting, it will be termed "brandishing a weapon".....that's how it is these days.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yep...I think you got the point. Taking these sorts of sentiments to the extreme causes ill-will and hatred among different groups of people.

No one religion or political ideology has a lock-down on bigotry and violence. There is plenty to go around from all sides. But I think that statements like "Those that think Christians can't be the victims of "hate" crimes in the US... Think again" or "this never would of happened 20 years ago" is rooted in a one-sided belief that their "beliefs" are somehow righteous.

link   
Did you not get the memo? White Christians are the only ones who can be "haters", so any attack coming from a non-White Christian is not "hate". All of us have a history of lynching blacks, enslaving them, slaughtering Indians, burning witches, slaughtering innocent Moslems who were only trying to peacefully "occupy"
Europe, and being the general cause of all injustice in the world.

If only we would be more like the Jesus Christ that Leftists claim was the real one perhaps earth could be a utopia. So we must not ever believe this is a "hate" crime, that is just silly. This was the culmination of bad feelings Christians created among these angry people over the years that resulted in the outburst of justified emoting with a gun.

EDIT: I am not sure if people are misreading my post or not, I suspect they are. This was SARCASM; not to be taken seriously guys (and gals)!

edit on 8/9/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

20, or even 10 years ago this NEVER would have happened in this country. Not this brazenly. Unbelievable. The liberal agenda has really taken hold of some morons, hasn't it? Liberalism is a mental disorder people, this is evidence.

True.....20 years ago Southern Baptist rednecks were dragging black men behind their trucks. 60 years ago a Protestant put Japanese people in camps and a couple hundred years ago Christians were proud slave owners. Not to mention the war in the Middle East rooted in "Christian values" that killed over a million people and counting.

[...] snip

Do you even realize how pathetic and moronic your statement is, yet you call liberalism a mental disorder? Thanks for giving us conservatives a bad reputation. With crap like that rolling out of our mouths no wonder people think we are an intolerable bunch of bible-thumping bigots.

edit on 9-8-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

20 years ago? So this was happening back in 1992? I think you mean 40-50 years ago.

And yes, jumping out there that this is the fault of "Liberals" is a bit of a stretch.
edit on 9-8-2012 by gncnew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

Actually the last time I head about this happening was in 2010.

Link

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

Well, the replies were what I expected.

Because blah blah did blah blah back in the day every Christians deserve yada blah blah yada.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Did you not get the memo? White Christians are the only ones who can be "haters", so any attack coming from a non-White Christian is not "hate". All of us have a history of lynching blacks, enslaving them, slaughtering Indians, burning witches, slaughtering innocent Moslems who were only trying to peacefully "occupy"
Europe, and being the general cause of all injustice in the world.

If only we would be more like the Jesus Christ that Leftists claim was the real one perhaps earth could be a utopia. So we must not ever believe this is a "hate" crime, that is just silly. This was the culmination of bad feelings Christians created among these angry people over the years that resulted in the outburst of justified emoting with a gun.

Wow Misoir...so sad to see you have fallen for this type of rhetoric.

I know you are a young impressionable male...I just hope you don't take these thoughts to the extreme.

What this guy did was wrong...doesn't matter what race or religion...it was wrong.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well considering the hateful post I have seen aimed at Christians on this forum and others is it any wonder?

I am not talking about constructive criticism or examining one faith, but pure hatred, you think I can't see the hate?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I am not sure what your interpretation of my post was... you do know it was sarcasm, right?

edit on 8/9/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by gncnew

Actually the last time I head about this happening was in 2010.

Link

Yeah, but that was OBVIOUSLY a condemned case, not just "some good ole' boys down south"... you know the difference, don't be obtuse.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by gncnew

Well, the replies were what I expected.

Because blah blah did blah blah back in the day every Christians deserve yada blah blah yada.

Sad isn't it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I've always thought that the ultimate test of freedom is a humble soapbox. A place nearby where you can stand and talk, you can say anything you like, and people can argue or agree as they will. To me ATS is kind of like that. Doesn't mean you don't get heckled etc, but it must be done in a civilised way, everybody must be able to at least express themselves, and of course, people have the right to walk away. Not get violent or just keep interrupting, walk away.

That's how it should be, anything that isn't that, is wrong.

Pulling a gun on a preacher, and stabbing some guys who tell you to rather back off is psychopathic.

We should really start redneck wars. All these brave schmucks who think they can shoot a room full of people? Put them all in the same damned room. Heck, make it an island, televised. Last one alive gets a bullet in the head.

We got a whole lot in south africa too, they're black though.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sickening. Maybe now these people will understand the whole "reap what you sow" concept while they sit behind bars for attempted murder.

I don't get it. Where is the respect? I've always had respect for preachers because I know there are some good ones out there and the crazy, hatefilled, money hungry ones don't represent the whole.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

"And because of me (Jesus), you will be HATED by every single nation."

Looks like it's coming true, sadly even here in America.

The early Christians were mutilated, crucified, had their children murdered, were thrown into arena's to be eaten alive by lions etc etc. I predict that this behavior against Christians will only get worse and worse until those early days are upon us once more.

Say something against Islam=Racist hate speech
Say something against Christians=Pat on the back from the world.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join