It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Types of bug-out bags

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I put together 2 bug-out bags 5 or 6 years ago. I keep one in the house and one in the car.

My assumption at the time was that I would be living out in the open so I put in a tarp and fire starter, and stuff I might want if I was camping.

Lately I have thought that maybe my bug-out bags should be full of stuff that I would want if I stayed in a shelter. There have been alot of people moved out of their homes because of fires and flooding this year.

I know some of you will say to make the bag work for both situations. However, a backpack is only so big.

The older I get the less I like the idea of "camping out" and doubt my ability to survive such a situation.

Is your bug-out bag for camping or for living in a shelter?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You cannot be armed in most shelters that I am aware of. In the situation you mention, I would sleep in my van. Both of my kids and I can be comfortable in it and we would likely be happier than in a shelter. Add to that the fact that my van is my big "bug out bag" anyway.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I have thought of that because you can't take a dog to a shelter. I keep water in my car and throw in a survival bucket when I travel.

I don't want to live in a school gym as a shelter but I don't want to live in my car when it is 115* either.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I have thought of that because you can't take a dog to a shelter. I keep water in my car and throw in a survival bucket when I travel.

I don't want to live in a school gym as a shelter but I don't want to live in my car when it is 115* either.
I live in central Florida, so 100 degree nights with high humidity are very common. My van windows have screens(I also have mosquito netting with Velcro strips for the driver and passenger windows when needed) , I have a solar powered battery charger and 4 small battery powered fans. I camp out in a tent, a lean to, and sometimes in my van in order to inure myself to the vagaries of Florida's weather. You can get used to it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
How ironic, I'm building my bag as we speak. Well, working on it anyway. Getting a list together, getting the gear together, fine tuning and tweaking. I will have a dog and a gun (or 2, lol). So no shelters for me.

My bag is geared more toward surviving on my own in my vehicle or on foot while I try to get where I'm going.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
One main major thing i just thought if your "bug-out-bag" is your car, maybe put another fuel tank in the car. Add an extra 40+ gallons to the car so in an emergency you can drive for 10+ hours without stopping. Having just a bug out bag in emergencies is not enough, i assume a bug out bag isn't just for end of the world scenarios anymore.

Things in your car, just basically take things or have things that you would use on a vacation.

1) fix-a-flat
2) upgrade to run flat tires
3) radio (crank radio)
4) police scanner (if legal in your state) hear where roads closed, where fire trucks and police are
5) A LIFE HAMMER!!! smash your windows and cut seat belts, this is a MUST even just driving to and from work

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

Great advice!
2nd line

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Explanation: S&F!

Very cool thread!

Since one of the survival mantras is, Death occurs within ...

4 minutes without air.

4 hours without shelter/warmth.

4 days without water.

4 weeks without food.

4 months without companionship.

We need only focus on the last 4 in the list and the 1st one is already taken care of to a large extent as you say you will be evacuating to a predesignated shelter, which some members will call a fema death camp ... but I'm not judging your position at all ... you do what ever you have to do to survive as best you can in whatever unfortunate circumstances you may find yourself in and I hope and pray that you never have to endure such a horror.

I have the feeling any alterations to your b.o.b [aka bug out bag] will be minimal as even in a shelter I can forsee the need to boil water [small gas/kero stove and metal pot required], the need for first aid kit [

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MojaveBurning

Explanation: If you have a vehical, maybe satellite sheltering [in the vhcl] nearby an official shelter whilst using its facilities could be a possible course of action to follow?

Personal Disclosure: Goodluck with your b.o.b and here is a simple and yet very effective no flint fire starting solution ...

Fire Piston [wiki]

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Intersting topic for sure... I was actually thinking about this the other day, I dont have a bugout bag and i definitely want to put one together...

For those who have built one, what did you put in yours??

I was thinking I would need
-a fire starter ( not just lighters, but a magnesium fire starter)
-a way to clean water - iodine tablets (some filter source)
- a knife (for weapon and cutting of materials) & maybe a hand gun
- canned food/energy bars
- Clothes
- Tarp for shelter
- Collapsable water bottle

How much food do you add to a bug-out bag? a week?
edit on 9-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Intersting topic for sure... I was actually thinking about this the other day, I dont have a bugout bag and i definitely want to put one together...

For those who have built one, what did you put in yours??

I was thinking I would need
-a fire starter ( not just lighters, but a magnesium fire starter)
-a way to clean water - iodine tablets (some filter source)
- a knife (for weapon and cutting of materials) & maybe a hand gun
- canned food/energy bars
- Clothes
- Tarp for shelter
- Collapsable water bottle

How much food do you add to a bug-out bag? a week?
edit on 9-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

Look HERE for many answers to your question

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
We need to purchase a Semi for a bug out bag. Neither my wife or I want to leave any of the stuff from our family history. Nobody would steal this junk but they might come and trash the place if we were to bug out. Pictures are irreplaceable. So are some of the old stuff we got from our dead friends and relatives.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Originally I assumed that a car wouldn't work due to solar flares or atomic bombs. I just figured I would be on foot. I have lived through some winter storms on the east coast where many people fled to hotels because of loss of electricity. The road I lived on was unpassable for 5 days due to snow drifts and downed trees.

I suppose after an earthquake many roads would be unpassable. I just drove through a storm in Houston, and flooding made even major roads difficult.

I always though that I would have to walk to whereever I was going.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MojaveBurning
How ironic, I'm building my bag as we speak. Well, working on it anyway. Getting a list together, getting the gear together, fine tuning and tweaking. I will have a dog and a gun (or 2, lol). So no shelters for me.

My bag is geared more toward surviving on my own in my vehicle or on foot while I try to get where I'm going.

And where will you go? Head for the mountains? Find relatives? Look for the Red Cross? Head toward city hall?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Yes it is good to assume you will be on foot. I have built backpacks for each of my family members to last up to a week with food and potable water. After that there is water purification tablets. If you are making one remember to add toilet paper, that is a luxury many forget.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by NotThat

Personal Disclosure:
I believe that I shall bring this to the attention of the ATS survival radio show hosts asap ... it is THAT IMPORTANT!

Thank you.

A bug-out bag for a shelter would have 2 change of clothes instead of one. It would have some comfort foods and some toys like books or cards. It might include a pillow and my favorite blanket.

I wouldn't need my mini shovel (to burry poo) or my saw. I wouldn't need a pocket knife or a way to start a fire. I would assume clean water would be available.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by MojaveBurning

Explanation: If you have a vehical, maybe satellite sheltering [in the vhcl] nearby an official shelter whilst using its facilities could be a possible course of action to follow?

Personal Disclosure: Goodluck with your b.o.b and here is a simple and yet very effective no flint fire starting solution ...

Fire Piston [wiki]

I don't know if you are allowed to sleep in your car at a shelter. It is a good question to ask.

I never heard of a fire piston before. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by watergoddess
Yes it is good to assume you will be on foot. I have built backpacks for each of my family members to last up to a week with food and potable water. After that there is water purification tablets. If you are making one remember to add toilet paper, that is a luxury many forget.

I thought people needed a gallon of water a day. Water is really heavy to carry.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Not to survive. But if you want to feel comfortable I assume a gallon would be good. You need a minimum of 8 oz a day to survive.
And yes the packs are heavy with the water.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by watergoddess

Water in plastic bottles?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join