It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One man, one dog, one Facebook photo that has touched thousands of hearts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
To all those posters who think dogs love people because they have been bred for it - that is non-sense.

In our family we have had about 10 german shepherds over the years and know a great deal more GSD (through the training clubs etc). Every single one of those dogs had different personalities. Even dogs from the same litter. Some of our dogs have been velcro dogs, others have like human contact but not too much, most like tummy rubs, some didn't, most will eat the dog food provided, a few have stuck their noses up in the air, some will go catch pigeons and some will share breakfast with the birds.

My sister's latest 10 month old GSD has no interest in pleasing humans. As far as this dog is concerned, humans are there to provide food (human optional, dog will happily try to eat whatever drives, rides, walks, flies or crawls past her nose); take her for walkies (human not required, just an open gate); take her for training (so she can bite people) and blow bubbles for her. She isn't interested in cuddles or tummy rubs or any of that stuff.

One of our GSD will turn his head away and stare into space when you tell him to go out of the kitchen, like a delinquent 2 year old that pretends not to hear you. Our ancient GSD will look guilty as sin when you walk in the house and you know he has been sleeping on the bed which is supposed to be off-limits for dogs. All 3 of my sisters GSD understand that when at her place they can sleep/ sit on the couch and bed but when they get dropped off at my parents for holidays that they are not allowed on the furniture.

So you see, some of our dogs love us, some more than others, and some of them find us useful for opening tins and gates and providing things to chew on can probably manage perfectly fine without us. Dogs have personalities, intelligence and are perfectly capable of loving their people.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Amazing picture. Dogs are pretty awesome.

How much better would this world be if all of us were the person our dogs think we are. Total loyalty.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
reply to post by dogstar23

You are comparing children to dogs, not I. What I've said is this again, just for you: Humans created domesticated dogs, you stated they evolved that way as a result of natural selection. Wrong. The dog breeds we have today are the direct result of human actions; if humans did not exist neither would these dogs - just wolves, coyotes, etc as it was before. If I program a robot to act as if it loves me, and I believe it really loves me what is the difference? In my firsthand contact most dogs will latch onto whoever is spending the time with them and feeding them. Is that love, or is the dog responding to its training, in that it wants food and will do what's necessary to acquire it?

Here's a video for you: youtu.be...
It may change your stance around how wild animals can display love to humans.

This picture is just great.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

You've never met someone with a wild animal friend. I've known people that have a wild animal who regularly visits them in their back yard. For one it was a squirrel that he was feeding, became pretty affectionate. Also Tesla's best friend in his later years was said to be a pigeon that would fly in through his windows.

Also there are a few famous cases. There's one famous case of a scuba diver who regularly meets with a wild dolphin. There are also stories of biologists who are studying a specific pack of wolves, the wolves come to make contact, and there ends up being affectionate interaction.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Here's an example of a man befriending wild wolves, and he didn't even have anything to offer. They brought him food. www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

its really not that great

Says the widowmaker...
edit on 8/10/2012 by mustangill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This inexplicable need to have animals 'love' us reminds me of Jenna Maroney on 30 Rock, who needs constant attention and to be told she's beautiful else her life ceases to have meaning. The lion video is interesting but that lion was raised from a cub - it wasn't a fully wild animal. I am also entertained by the antics of Shaun Ellis, whose career I've followed for some time - I like his work in Poland, but I am not convinced his experience with wild wolves proves their love for humans. They tolerated him but was it out of curiosity? As humans we terrorize the planet, and yet here we are demanding love from wild animals? I know that as humans we are not worthy of this love, considering what we are doing to the planet (which is the home to all these animals I love dearly, a one sided love)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Brings a tear to my eye.

Makes me think of my Little buddy. Man i really miss my boy.

edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlantGirl
I once read somewhere a quote that goes something like: "If you haven't known the love of an animal, you haven't truly known love." I'm sure I shredded the quote, but you get the gist.

This photo is remarkable. Thanks, OP, for sharing.

They've been bred over thousands of years to love us. Wild animals do not love us, only captive animals who are forced to provide affection. Even humans, it's called Stockholm Syndrome.

A friend of mine allowed a dog who was left by the gardners to roam the neighborhood into his yard. Similar to this pooch, he was the most loyal loving appreciative and protective dog I have ever known. He knew how fortunate he was. I'll always remember Ollie. If you have never seen or experienced this it's probably because you're a d**k, and I mean to offend. Zoos are slavery and an abomination....true pets are not pets but family members.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrippledAhole
true pets are not pets but family members.

Your family members were raised in cages on a human farm and somebody came by, assessed their beauty and the quality of their skin, pointed and said "that's the one", made a financial transaction and then took them home?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

My pets don't live in cages nor were they paid for. They were rescued so to speak

I wouldn't mind seeing you in a cage thou
I doubt very much with your attitude no matter how pretty you were anyone would point and say "that's the one" as you said
edit on 10-8-2012 by CrippledAhole because: Forgot something

edit on 10-8-2012 by CrippledAhole because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
How are personal attacks advancing your case? I haven't made inflammatory comments about any one person, how can you hope to embarrass me by doing so? I've seen many dog owners send a misbehaving dog to the kennel (cage). If it is demeaning to put a man in a cage why is it not so with other creatures? And I've held off when it comes to making comments about what these loving owners do to pets' genitals, which brings to my mind images of concentration camp atrocities. What would happen if a dog could associate its owner with the loss of its dignity?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CrippledAhole

I will steal your post because you took words from my mouth. i'll give you star for stealing

"My pets don't live in cages nor were they paid for. They were rescued so to speak

I wouldn't mind seeing you in a cage thou I doubt very much with your attitude no matter how pretty you were anyone would point and say "that's the one" as you said"

and yes my dog is my family.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Lucky dog. Lucky human. If you don't see that, if you don't feel that, you are less than that particular human and dog.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Of course this is true but the fact remains that these dogs were engineered to be what they are by humans. Wolves, so far as I have uncovered, do not seem to enjoy these same feelings.

As a former wolf owner, I can assure you, that you are dead wrong.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elentarri
To all those posters who think dogs love people because they have been bred for it - that is non-sense.

In our family we have had about 10 german shepherds over the years and know a great deal more GSD (through the training clubs etc). Every single one of those dogs had different personalities. Even dogs from the same litter. Some of our dogs have been velcro dogs, others have like human contact but not too much, most like tummy rubs, some didn't, most will eat the dog food provided, a few have stuck their noses up in the air, some will go catch pigeons and some will share breakfast with the birds.

My sister's latest 10 month old GSD has no interest in pleasing humans. As far as this dog is concerned, humans are there to provide food (human optional, dog will happily try to eat whatever drives, rides, walks, flies or crawls past her nose); take her for walkies (human not required, just an open gate); take her for training (so she can bite people) and blow bubbles for her. She isn't interested in cuddles or tummy rubs or any of that stuff.

One of our GSD will turn his head away and stare into space when you tell him to go out of the kitchen, like a delinquent 2 year old that pretends not to hear you. Our ancient GSD will look guilty as sin when you walk in the house and you know he has been sleeping on the bed which is supposed to be off-limits for dogs. All 3 of my sisters GSD understand that when at her place they can sleep/ sit on the couch and bed but when they get dropped off at my parents for holidays that they are not allowed on the furniture.

So you see, some of our dogs love us, some more than others, and some of them find us useful for opening tins and gates and providing things to chew on can probably manage perfectly fine without us. Dogs have personalities, intelligence and are perfectly capable of loving their people.

This an awesomely perfect description of all of ours over 40 years. Somehow, we have been fortunate to raise lovers. Still, it seems over time, even the most strong willed/loner ones, eventually realize they would rather love. Even when they have been obstinant and independant, I have NO doubt each and every one of them would have given thier lives to protect anyone else in the family (pack).

I truly feel sad for those posters that have never experienced the unconditional love of a great dog.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

This inexplicable need to have animals 'love' us reminds me of Jenna Maroney on 30 Rock, who needs constant attention and to be told she's beautiful else her life ceases to have meaning. The lion video is interesting but that lion was raised from a cub - it wasn't a fully wild animal. I am also entertained by the antics of Shaun Ellis, whose career I've followed for some time - I like his work in Poland, but I am not convinced his experience with wild wolves proves their love for humans. They tolerated him but was it out of curiosity? As humans we terrorize the planet, and yet here we are demanding love from wild animals? I know that as humans we are not worthy of this love, considering what we are doing to the planet (which is the home to all these animals I love dearly, a one sided love)

I'm sorry for the pain that has been inflicted upon you in the past. Hopefully someday you can forgive and move on. There truly are wonderful things in this world. You just have to be willing to look for them and have the courage to accept them when it happens. Best of luck.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

You are dead right.

However I think it makes it more awesome that we have this engineered relationship. I think because the way we have bred dogs that we owe it them to look after them.

There's a really interesting project called the silver fox project, where a group of science folk have speed up the domestication of foxes through selective breeding - up to fifty generations now I think. Fascinating.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

How are personal attacks advancing your case? I haven't made inflammatory comments about any one person, how can you hope to embarrass me by doing so? I've seen many dog owners send a misbehaving dog to the kennel (cage). If it is demeaning to put a man in a cage why is it not so with other creatures? And I've held off when it comes to making comments about what these loving owners do to pets' genitals, which brings to my mind images of concentration camp atrocities. What would happen if a dog could associate its owner with the loss of its dignity?

Sterilization happens hundreds of times every day to humans. I'm not sure I see your point. Without spay/neuter, do you have any idea how many more 10's of thousands of animals would be put dow? Apparently that is what you are advocating for?

You seem to have a HUGE amount of anger. In an attempt to understand, can you please explain your sociapathy/psycopathy?

Beyond all that, I have no problem lopping my puppies nuts off as animals breed uncontrollably. Were I live, we have quite a few feral packs that have killed people. Do you advocate this as well?

People that don't sterlize thier pets leads to kittens and puppies left off the sides of the freeways out in the middle of no where. We have a cat that can attest to that.

Also, I do not see sending a man into a cage (as you say) demeaning. He/She/It, made thier way there all by themselves (and some of them need to be forcibly sterilized as well). And your reference to concentration camps is just

Lastly, I am also curious how you have "seen many dog owners send a misbehaving dog to the kennel (cage)."
Have you worked at the Humane Society? And if so, where?

I await your response.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam

You seem to have a HUGE amount of anger. In an attempt to understand, can you please explain your sociapathy/psycopathy?

Also, I do not see sending a man into a cage (as you say) demeaning. He/She/It, made thier way there all by themselves (and some of them need to be forcibly sterilized as well).

I await your response.

I should ask you to explain your sociapathy/psycopathy with regards to your claim that people in jails a. should be there in the first place (because there are no wrongful convictions or peace loving potheads in jail) and b. should be forcibly sterilized.

You've also stated that it's your inability to control your slaves' behavior that induces you to mutilate their bodies. Also, I haven't expressed outright anger in this thread. What I've been doing is calling for the discontinuation of selfish use of animals and asking questions about that concept, which seem to have really inflamed some folks here and got them angry. But you will notice that the tone of my posts has been fairly even, not really plunging into mania or depression or this extreme anger you wish to place upon me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join