It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Michael Moore sway voters?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Clearly Michael Moore is on a mission to get Bush out of office. He is traveling the U.S. trying to get people to vote for Kerry and is attempting to get his movie, Fahrenheit 9/11 on television before the election.

How much influence do you think Michael Moore really has? Do you believe his movie has the ability to turn hard core Republicans against Bush? If his movie does air on T.V. before the elections do you think people that currently plan to vote for Bush will change their minds after viewing the movie? If his movie does air on T.V. do you think that it should be followed by the movie FahrenHYPE 9/11 so that both sides are shown?

Just how successful do you think Michael Moore will personally be for the outcome of the election?

Jemison

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Jemison:

Moore won't be able to sway much vote one way or the other. Do you
really think guys like this really have much clout? And yes, it was
announced just a couple of days ago that his little documentary will
be shown on TV I believe in the next week or so. He doesn't have
much pull at all, sort of like the Sean Penn's and Jane Fonda's of
the world.

ZOOMER

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
No and No...................

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hey Jemeson.

You know where I stand on this election, so this may come as a shock hearing it from me, but here it goes.

Mr Moore is a pompus arrogant asshole who tries to push his opinions off on everyone who doesnt believe what he believes. He embelishes, adds to , and detracts from any truths he can get his dirty fat hands around.

Well, just my opinion of him. As to your question, he doesnt affect my voting.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

And yes, it was announced just a couple of days ago that his little documentary will
be shown on TV I believe in the next week or so.

Do you happen to know what network is going to carry it? And do you think there is any chance they will have it followed by Fahrenhype 9/11.

Mr Moore is a pompus arrogant asshole who tries to push his opinions off on everyone who doesnt believe what he believes. He embelishes, adds to , and detracts from any truths he can get his dirty fat hands around.

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunatly many people don't seem to understand that. Plus, rather than look into his 'facts' for themselves they buy into everything he says whole-heartedly.

I don't know ... I'm a bit nervous that Moore will have a lot of influence. I won't love it if Kerry wins, but if Kerry wins I would rather it NOT be due to Michael Moore's influence. I believe if Kerry wins, Moore, being the narcisist that he is, will feel that he single handedly was able to impact the outcome of the election.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Jemison:

I think that people DO understand completely. A very small percentage
of the population gets all giddy over a creep like that. I can't in my mind
understand at all why people follow people like Moore. It is sort of like
the Ralph Nadar followers. A very tiny percentage of the voters will even
look at guys like this.

ZOOMER

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Does that matter to him really?

No matter what happens, I believe that his words and actions really mean little to him. If they sway voters one way, or drives them away from his alignment, no matter.

He's secured his fortune from it all. Gotten tons of publicity, he's quite the star you know.

There's no such thing as bad publicity, and he took advantage of that fact.

On another note: I also am of the opinion that both Shrub and Scary would be just "interchangable parts" in the grand assembly line of domination. It matters little which one gets in there tbh.

Bush will most likely "win" again though. Whatever the final cost I'm sure also is of no matter to him.

X

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hes does have some influence. With the most succesful documentary ever made it has to swing at least some people. And with the tight races in some states, all it can take is a 1,000 people or more to be swayed and give that state to Kerry come Nov. 2nd. The hardcore repubicans see this movie as a ploy to get them out of office, the only people i can see this affecting is a small number of the undecided.

link   

I think that people DO understand completely. A very small percentage

I used to think that way until I met up with some old friends. These guys were hard core Republicans, very brilliant,all went to Ivy Leagues and have started their own companies with great success. They asked me if I had seen the movie and I told them I had not. They went on and on about how I needed to see it and how I was an idiot if I voted for Bush after seeing the movie. I pointed out the deciets in the movie and their response was that it didn't matter and that if only 1/8th of the movie was true that was enough for them to want Bush out of office immediately. I was stunned.

They are all living in San Fran so I hope it's something in the water up there that is making these guys be so irresponsible as to take this movie at it's word. However, considering the amount of people on ATS that adore Moore I have a feeling that Moore's influence is not just confined to the water in San Fran!

Jemison

link   
I don't think Moore will actually have any noticable sway on the democratic vote, BUT I do think his expression of thoughts and methods of influence will bring more voters to the polls - which is exactly what he intended to do...

Whether or not they'll agree with his message is an impartial factor...although there will be those that disagree with me here...

[edit on 10/11/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

I don't know ... I'm a bit nervous that Moore will have a lot of influence. I won't love it if Kerry wins, but if Kerry wins I would rather it NOT be due to Michael Moore's influence. I believe if Kerry wins, Moore, being the narcisist that he is, will feel that he single handedly was able to impact the outcome of the election.

Jemison

I could see MM being an arogant pompus ass and saying he caused Kerry to be elected. He seems to think he is responsibl fir schools putting in metal detectors, so he has the narrowmindedness of presumption.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I guess your "friends" are the only "hard-core" republicans in San Francisco.

For some reason, I don't believe you.

The only thing Moore could sway would be the Golden Gate bridge, after dragging his fat ass across it.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
There are three voters in my family, and it appeared that each of us will be voting for a different presidential candidate: My wife for Bush, my son for Kerry, and I for Badnarik.

However, my kid finally saw Farenheit 911 a couple of weeks ago, and said that it was really funny, but was all a lie. Now he says he's not sure whom he's voting for after all.

But regardless whom he votes for, he says that he'd never trust Michael Moore.

My guess is that it's not going to change anyone's mind one way or the other about the presidental election, but it's going to change a lot of peoples' minds about Michael Moore himself.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I guess your "friends" are the only "hard-core" republicans in San Francisco. For some reason, I don't believe you.

If I hadn't heard them with my own ears I wouldn't have believed it. I grew up with these guys and was shocked by their comments. Though San Fran is a liberal area it isn't like they don't allow Republicans to live there!

I don't know why people always feel the need to accuse people of lying on message boards but if it makes you feel better to think that I'm lying so be it. Your opinon of me is none of my business anyway.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
my apologies.

I am not calling you a liar.

The only explanation would be that your friends are not die-hard republicans.

peace.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I think the only way Moore could sway my vote is if he let me kick him in the jewels until I am completely satisfied. I then may reconsider who I vote for. Although I'm not voting for Bush anyway, I would at least make him think that I am just so I could do that

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

my apologies.
I am not calling you a liar.
The only explanation would be that your friends are not die-hard republicans.

Thanks. Maybe you are right. Maybe they thought that by claiming to remain die-hard Republicans they would sound more convincing? Their objective was to talk me into seeing the movie so maybe they were just being manipulative and not totally upfront. Whatever the case, it scared me that there were people out there that could be swayed by Moore!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Hmm, I would agree with what EnronOutrunHomerun and further add or argue, that in fact, indeed there will be voters who will be directly swayed by MM and his 'works'. He does have a fan base, doesn't he? Those within that fan base, when asked, can say that they are voting becuase of this issue or that issue, but in truth, its because those particular issues are what MM has 'politicized' that they will be influenced by. In short, some to few will vote based on what MM's HYPED.

I found this to be quite applicable:

Could it be that "CBS Evening News" anchorman Dan Rather has lower journalistic standards than even Michael Moore, whose conspiracy film "Fahrenheit 9/11" may be a model piece of political propaganda, but doesn't come close to qualifying as "journalism"?

Rather=Michael Moore

seekerof

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I found this to be quite applicable:
quote:
Could it be that "CBS Evening News" anchorman Dan Rather has lower journalistic standards than even Michael Moore, whose conspiracy film "Fahrenheit 9/11" may be a model piece of political propaganda, but doesn't come close to qualifying as "journalism"?

Rather=Michael Moore

WOW! That's pretty intense!!! I wonder if Rather has read that and what his reaction is! Great link!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
On another note: I also am of the opinion that both Shrub and Scary would be just "interchangable parts" in the grand assembly line of domination. It matters little which one gets in there tbh.

Actually it does matter who gets in, the senate and congress are in rep. control, so if Bush gets in he pretty much will have free reign to do what he wants, there will most likely be openings on the SPC , Bush favors ultra conservative Judges. If Kerry gets in, he won't beable to accomplish much, because of the congressional control, by rep, but at least he'll be able to stop some of the right wing spiraling were doing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join