It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting Philosophy that says that Self-Love is the highest good, what do you think of this?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
This philosophy lacks substance and sounds too much like arrogance. I take pride in the achievements of others as well as my own because we are all working off of each-others knowledge. I agree one must first come to know themselves before they can think for themselves but should not solely take pride in their achievements because any achievement made was a result of what they learned up to that point. Like this philosophy for example I hope you also take pride in the fact that someone came up with what you now use to guide your life (not that you do but if you did).
edit on 8-8-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: added input

It's obvious that this is another one of arpgme's ideas. No offense, OP, but it's hard to take your ideas seriously when you bounce around different ones so quickly. I remember awhile ago when you had your Ask A Stoic Anything thread, claiming to be a Stoic. I have yet to see evidence of that, however.

This "Autamorism" idea you have coined is not necessarily anything new either. Self love goes as far back as Aristotle.

The anonymity of your video (exhibited by programmed speech) reminds me of this guy. This isn't you is it?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by artistpoet

What motivated you to harm the person? Is it because you feel "Lack" (Jealousy) somewhere? Is it because you want to "prove" something by attacking back?

If you harm someone then love yourself, what is done is done, there is no reason to be stressing over something you can not change.

If you just like hurting people, why do you feel this desire (lack) where you are compensating whatever "void" with hurting others??

Fill the void/lack/desire with self-love and it will change you from the inside out (Feelings to Action), rather than the outside in (Action to feelings)

Hi - No I have not harmed anyone as far as I am aware for many many years and then it was out of not knowing and I made strides to be a better person and gain their forgiveness and forgive myself - It is water under the bridge
Never the less I agree with what you say and thank you for caring to point out what you have

If you love yourself in the context of who you truly are then by default you love others In this case they are mutual for in reality we are of the same source.

Yet I am far from perfect and each day is a challenge to simply love others for this brings me peace of mind and also a love of who I am

I am simply being honest with no agenda to push
edit on 8-8-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The Golden Rule says to love thy neighbor as thyself. You can't love others if you don't have self love. So I guess it makes some sort of sense.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

It's obvious that this is another one of arpgme's ideas. No offense, OP, but it's hard to take your ideas seriously when you bounce around different ones so quickly. I remember awhile ago when you had your Ask A Stoic Anything thread, claiming to be a Stoic. I have yet to see evidence of that, however.

This is why I should be taken as a serious philosophy, I try out new perspectives of realities and sometimes even ones that contradict to see which one is most naturalist and universal...

A person is always growing and gaining more wisdom, and their perspective may change as well, sometimes, a person will go to a "seemly stupid" perspective, to see if it actually is, or if there is something amazing behind it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

This is why I should be taken as a serious philosophy, I try out new perspectives of realities and sometimes even ones that contradict to see which one is most naturalist and universal...

A person is always growing and gaining more wisdom, and their perspective may change as well, sometimes, a person will go to a "seemly stupid" perspective, to see if it actually is, or if there is something amazing behind it.

You get too hung up on the concepts themselves. Titling beliefs and ideas just limits the knowledge. The true Universal essence that is a rite to us all is boundless. It cannot be tamed by a concept or a title. It is beyond words and even thoughts. At best, it is a experience. I've been down that philosophical road for a long time. It's fun to keep increasing your knowledge, hoping that one day you'll come to a mental revelation that provides you with a breakthrough Ultimatum. However, if you tie yourself to the ideas they can bring you down with them.

Even wanting that title of a "serious philosophy" (your words, not mine) just strengthens the Ego's false sense of identification by giving it more belonging and entitlement.

This is nothing new and neither is your concepts. Anything you can put forth from a philosophical view has been done and thought of before. You have to remember that there have been many thousands of people that devoted their entire lives to philosophy, and while most of them did get caught up in their own personal beliefs, they rarely left a stone unturned.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Of course loving onself is primary to having a decent and rewarding life. But love is a selfless act and people who loves themselves tend to do so in very selfish ways.

My suggestion is to follow the golden rule and just treat others with love and respect. I promise you, from much personal experience - giving will make you love yourself much more than just fixating upon yourself will.

Love is an expression of acceptance, understanding, and kindess. Love yourself and then demonstrate it by kind and humanistic treatment of others.

At least that's how I look at it.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

This philosophy looks very interesting. It is called Autamorism. I guess it is true, that if I feel like crap and someone compliments me, it is up to me to self evaluate myself, because even if someone compliments me I still may feel like crap; so it makes sense that you have to love yourself, then the insults won't hurt as bad and the compliments would just be something that you already know about yourself. What do you think?

I have trouble sorting out your thoughts here. It seems you refer to self-evaluation, and disengagement from the opinions of others...... I do not see so much what that has to do with loving oneself. Perhaps in respecting oneself (and if love and respect are synonomous for you).

I do believe one should strive for self awareness, ideally. I find that there are limits to that and that the awareness of others becomes valuable in that. We sometimes need the reflections of others to aid us see our "blind spots".
I prefer to see it as a matter of balance and moderation- neither being completely dependant upon the perception of others, nor relying completely on our own judgement alone.

But on the subject of self love, I do think it could be a key to ethical behavior... if one percieves the connection between self and other!
When you realize that you need others to be happy, healthy and safe, you respect others in act.

But the same could be said of someone that embraces the love of other as ideal- if they recognize that others need you to be healthy, happy, and safe, you will respect yourself, for their sake.

Besides, like someone else mentioned, I think, it is lack of love which seems to cause the most suffering in this world- when you keep yourself fulfilled, you have lots of love to give, and less concern about getting it.

When it comes to ethics, I do not see it as important whether one concentrates on coming from self love or love of other, as long as they recognize the conenction and interdependance between the two.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Even wanting that title of a "serious philosophy" (your words, not mine) just strengthens the Ego's false sense of identification by giving it more belonging and entitlement.

I just noticed I spelled that wrong, I meant to say "serious philosopher". If people take me as a serious philosopher great, they can see how I experiment with philosophical views and feedback and come to their own conclusion, if not, they'll just skip over it all...

You said that most philosophers left the rock "unturned", as long as I find the answer I'd be happy, if others, see my conclusion as insightful then that is good for them, but this is more of a personal journey.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Self-Love teaches to serve the self at the cost of others. You will always put yourself first and highest. In fact, society is dangerously close to this practice already.

This is the definition of evil...for me, anyway.
edit on 8-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

i think the point is not to be a stuck up person, but to like, not smoke, and eat healthy.

to treat others the way you would want to be treated etc.

peace.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join