It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Anti-Leaks Bill Threatens the Rights of the Press and the Public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Wednesday, August 8, 2012Senate Anti-Leaks Bill Threatens the Rights of the Press and the Public

www.activistpost.com

The US Senate is currently debating a dangerous bill that, if passed, would have broad consequences for press freedom and the public’s right to know. EFF asks senators to stand up for government transparency and the First Amendment and vote it down.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com[ /url]
[url=http://
www.fas.org...]https:
ww w.rightsidenews.com
edit on 8-8-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This is just ridiculous So a quick recap of this story the us senate is debating a bill witch is intended to stop leaks to reporters making whistleblowing much harder According to the article it is being drafted in secret without public hearing and stops most government employees from giving press background briefings

What do you guys think of this

www.activistpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If this passes, we MUST riot. There is no other choice. There is no sit down, sit back option.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Interesting and Scary. Would effectively prevent the public from knowing what their elected officials are doing!

You will never know if senator X, fullfilled is campaign promises or not.

I think future campaign promises are going to be outrageous as we cannot prove they did them or not if this bill passes. I promise to turn the roads into gingerbread!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It doesn't matter. The "press" on both sides do not report any thing anymore. They report the story as they want you to believe it.

It used to be the press would report an event in terms of what happened.

Not any more. Nowadays, on both the left and right, you not only get the facts, you get the reporters opinion of the facts. This is why I no longer watch CNN, Fox News or MSNBC, and get most of my information online.

I don't want your take on it asshole! (Regarding the reporter)

Give me the facts of what happened and I can decide for myself, my take on it.
edit on 8-8-2012 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I am surprised not more people are speaking up with regards to this proposition.

Are the constitutionalists and US conspiracy theorists sleeping?

The articles provided are pretty doom and gloom at the prospect of this bill passing. I would have to reserve judgement until i am able to read the entire bill.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

I always find this argument interesting because it ignores / distorts the facts surrounding free speach and free press. Contrary to popular belief the media is not immune from reporting classified material. The Pentagon papers, the court case so many people cite yet apparently never bothered to read, resolved only 1 question -

The Government cannot prevent a paper from reporting classified information where the only reason is embarrassment.

What people ignore is the reporters responsible for printing the information were both charged. Due to an error by the Federal prosecutor the charges were dismissed. There was NO court ruling that protects journalists from legal action for printing classified material.

Freedom of Press nor freedom of speech is absolute and there have been restrictions placed on both. A person cannot yell fire in a crowded theatre nor can a newspaper knowingly print defamatory information that is known to be false.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
So much for freedom. The Gov is suposed to be working for the people but the people are treated like prisoners.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Problem is, no enough people care, or have the ability to keep up with all these laws being passed. The government keep making up their own rules and forgetting about the people and the simple people could care less. America is going to fall and i fear it will be rather soon.

We will fall just like Rome did, and it because of the politicians. I believe they are going to cause so much distress, while America is in upheavel and the brink of civil war, our enemies will take advantage, either economically or through direct action. Most likely economically which will bring not only America to its knees .. but the entire western world.

I really hate politicians. They will be the down fall of this nation. Once we stand up and begin to make our voices heard, everything is going to crumble.

My opinion any way.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
What is really killing this country is the corporate mafia running the government behind close doors, they are the ones that we the people needs to expose and bring to justice, if you let them they will run America like a dictatorship they are.

When our whore politicians are in the pockets of big interest you know that America is not longer run by a legit government of the people.

That is nothing short of treason. In other words America is run by traitors for money.

top topics

join