It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technically Space Is Not The Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
A thought occurred to me. I was watching Ancient Discoveries about cars and planes, and it said the phrase "up higher and further than we've ever been before". So It got me to thinking about it, because it reminded me of the phrase, the sky's the limit. Then I remembered the saying in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey. The sky's no longer the limit.

Because really, what it made me do was realize, you can go beyond the sky. When you go beyond the sky, you really can't go up any further because there really is a limit to how far up one can go. And here's whatt i realized.

When you go beyond our atmosphere, you go into space. In space there really is no up and down as we know it. And unlike the sky, there is no air and atmosphere, only a vacuum, and very little refractory particles that make the color of the sky.

So, when you've gone into space, you've gone beyond the sky, and the sky is no longer the limit. In space you can't go up or down, you can only go up or down in the sky. So when in space, there's really only one thing you can do.

And that is go on and on, further than anyone has ever been before, away from your home planet.

I think there's a lesson in there somewhere. Maybe, just perhaps, there is also some grand metaphor for life.

Well, it's something to ponder anyhoo.

edit on 7-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed grammar and spelling errors

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

The land we live on is just space with an atmosphere around it. Space outside our atmosphere is the same space just without a livable atmosphere. And how is it that you cant go up and down in space? That makes no sense. If that were true space would be two dimensional and not three dimensional.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WonOunce

I think what he means is, in space there is no reference point for up or down.

You can use your head and feet as up and down, but that is just relevant to you. Everything else just is.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The saying originated from before space travel. Sky is the region of the Earth's atmosphere and space that we can see from Earth.

top topics

join