It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Security Now Takes More Than it Gives

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I am still relatively young (early 30s), and I hate paying SS. It looks like my generation will probably not recieve any benefits from it even though I will be paying into it for the forseeable future, probably even after the fund has gone bust. I do not have retirement, health care, or any benefits through my job. Nobody wants to see grandma or mom lose their income, but happens when my generation becomes retired grandmas?

Both of my parents are lower-level government employees and a relatively nice state retirement is on their horizion. Both have jobs less technical and less physically demanding but much better paying than mine, expecially when you consider their benefits. I am a little (jealous?) of how they are able to vacation two weeks every year and have nice newer cars and so fourth. Contrarily I can't afford any of these things with my current pay largely because 1/3 of my paycheck goes to keep the state (and my parents) operating the way it does. For me personally I would rather invest my SS money myself rather that give it to this organization that uses my other tax money on unjustifiaby large salaries and benefits, which I see none of. I doubt I'll ever be able to retire if I wanted to anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is it in a nutshell.
The fat cats on Wall Street and as well as the Multi-National Corporations, that owe no allegiance to the US, whom also write their own legislation, in OUR Government and are staffed in DC, are looking at the money coming in, and seeing the dollar being devalued from countries getting rid of it as well as countries like Iran etc getting rid of the petrodollar.

So, they are looking out for themselves and that is where you and me come in, with them cutting into our livelihood to keep the riches flowing for them, by cutting out welfare spending, raising taxes, less worker pay, more cheap labor yadda yadda

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Don't fall for the propaganda that Social Security is the ill of our government debt!!

Another argument made by Social Security opponents to raise fear about the national debt is how much our government has borrowed from China. They never mention how much our government has borrowed from Social Security. In fact, the government has borrowed more from the Social Security surplus than it has from any other source in the world, including China. As a result, Social Security now "owns" nearly 18 percent of the federal debt, making it the largest single holder of US debt. The government owes almost twice as much to Social Security as it does to China and Hong Kong.

Why aren't the opponents worried about paying back Social Security -- why aren't they talking about repaying this debt to the American people?

According to the U.S. Treasury Department's "Monthly Statement of the Public Debt of the United States" (9.30.10), the total debt was $13.562 trillion and was held as follows:

US Holders of Debt
42.1 % -- US Individuals and Institutions
17.9 % -- Social Security Trust Fund
6.0 % -- US Civil Service Retirement Fund
2.1 % -- US Military Retirement Fund

Foreign Holders of Debt
11.7 % -- Oil Exporting Countries
9.5 % -- China and Hong Kong
6.3 % -- Japan
1.4 % -- United Kingdom
1.3 % -- Brazil
1.6 % -- All other foreign countries

Source

This is just more Divide, Manipulate, and Control to make us blame those other than the ones who are stealing us blind! Our own Government!!!

Notice how the ones really fighting to end Social Security are those who are the FAT CATS on Wallstreet???

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If what the crooked politicians are doing to this country was being done in another country, I could get behind invading said country and liberating the people from these criminals.

Originally posted by lonegurkha
The problwm with SS is that instead of the original untouchable fund, which was the way it was originaly set up, the money is put into a general fund which the politicians raid on a regular basis to fund their pork barrel projects.

They changed the law in order to steal from us all. Had the funding been left alone there would be more than enough money in the system for everyone. Politicians = theives. They've never seen the peoples money that they didn't want for themselves.

<< 1   >>

join