It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Cop scared in Canada without his Gun

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

reply to post by MrWendal

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The helicopter ride looks like it might be out of my price range but we'll most likely check out Clifton Heights and the Maid of the Mist when we do the Falls.
Can't wait to go, this'll be the 1st time the kids have been out of the country. I just hope the weather holds up for us.
Kids? As lame as it might sound, the Butterfly Conservatory was really quite unique and an unexpected delight.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm from Calgary and have never felt unsafe here. This nutjob needs to find a different occupation before he shoots some poor citizen for asking directions. I guess when you come frrom a place like Kalamazoo, which has a population of 74000 and is ranked in the top 8% for crime in the USA Kalamazoo Crime Rate
It must make your trigger finger a little itchy. On the other hand Calgary with a population of 1120000 is ranked the 17th safest city, in the WORLD! Calgary Crime Rate I think the worst thing that would happen to an American here is they would wake up with a nasty hangover from all the partying. Come for a visit and find out for yourselves.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
"Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them

im sure the next part shoud read.....i then tipped my john wayne hat to them, jumped on my trusty steed trigger, spat out my chewin tobacca and rode off into the sunset with the sounds of bonanza playing in the back ground towards boot hill for a stiff whiskey in the saloon.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
"Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them

im sure the next part shoud read.....i then tipped my john wayne hat to them, jumped on my trusty steed trigger, spat out my chewin tobacca and rode off into the sunset with the sounds of bonanza playing in the back ground towards boot hill for a stiff whiskey in the saloon.

Just reinforcing the world's image of the ugly American.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

And don't forget the UFO restaurant out by the outlet malls!!!!

Foods ok, but the ufo looks cool!!!

And Niagara on the lake, but watch out for the gangs of blue haired ladies, they we destroy all Americans!!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Classic cop brain.

You talkin to ME! punk, what's that, nice da!, you lookin for trouble punk.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wonder if this guy never herd of the Stamped? I never herd of it myself.

ETA: I was wondering, if he never herd of the stamped it would seem odd to be asked that.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
That does not represent the majority of Americans, I can guarantee it. This person represents a very small minority if he gets scared when approached by random people in a relatively populated area. It's ridiculous. I can understand however, that a police officer is used to having a weapon on his hip, therefore may feel naked without it. That seems more probable to me, as cops are used to mainly dealing with "strange" people or criminals. This may have been the issue, rather than he was actually scared for no reason or something.

It just isn't normal, and I don't really appreciate any non-Americans lumping all Americans into one category. This goes with any stereotyping, except in rare cases...I openly lump certain groups together, but only because the doctrine representing the group is ridiculous. If 10K Canadians got together and started a group and wrote a charter stating that they liked to kill kittens, I would lump them together into a group as well. It's just too bad that it is sometimes difficult to separate the people of a country from their government, especially if they elect their own government. But there is always more to the story..

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLUMBER1

And don't forget the UFO restaurant out by the outlet malls!!!!

Foods ok, but the ufo looks cool!!!

And Niagara on the lake, but watch out for the gangs of blue haired ladies, they we destroy all Americans!!

LOL...i been to Canada as a child, the French one can be a little ornery.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
Thanks for the laugh Op and for reinforcing my desire to move north. Americans are wound way too tight and any excuse will do for them to pop off. If it wasn't for your darn LMO's I would be in Calgary now taking your job.

I would say cops are pretty uptight and paranoid - in general, compared to the general populace. It's a misconception that Americans in general are, as well as that Americans are warlike people. The vast majority of us want our military to be predominantly on our soil defending our homeland, and don't want to be shooting anyone. There us a small, uneducated minority who think everyone is out to get them. They are fearful cowards, and they are vocal but puny.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Sounds like a typical gun owner to me...lost without their weapon to protect themselves.

I have always said..gun owners are useless without their weapons...pity the family that is ever caught without one.

Gun owners are seem to be the most pathetic of the human species...acting like they would be helpless without one.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
most americans are programmed to be paranoid and suspicious of everything and anyone. It is pretty messed up how this law enforcement person can't even be talked too without wanting to reach for his gun.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
LOL UPDATE:

Almost immediately, Wawra become what Gawker called "the laughing stock of Canada." The Calgary Herald even had to confirm that the letter was written by "a real person" after readers started believing the letter was a hoax.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Well, I just got back from my vacation and I didn't have any scary encounters with any Canadian people. The prices in that area are another story; they were downright TERRIFYING!

Over $3 for a 16 oz soda, a half gallon of milk (2 liters, the biggest size you can find) costs more than a whole GALLON here in the US. I know that area is one big tourist trap so the prices are inflated but, I even went out of my way to find the local Wal-Mart and the prices were STILL scary. Add on to that the 13% sales tax on top of everything and the money was flowing from my pockets like water from a sieve.

I did have a good time though. Hit up the Maid of the Mist, Clifton Hill, the Butterfly Conservatory and Marineland Canada and we all had a great time but wore the soles off our feet from all of the walking around the falls area.

All in all, it was a wonderful vacation but, I'm glad to be back in the states where I can recover from my vacation. I never did get used to driving on the left side of the road over there.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

What a wuss!! The men asked if he had been to the stampede yet.
I bet he wet his pants.
I'd bet a year's salary that he has shot somebody on duty.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Well, I just got back from my vacation and I didn't have any scary encounters with any Canadian people. The prices in that area are another story; they were downright TERRIFYING!

Over $3 for a 16 oz soda, a half gallon of milk (2 liters, the biggest size you can find) costs more than a whole GALLON here in the US. I know that area is one big tourist trap so the prices are inflated but, I even went out of my way to find the local Wal-Mart and the prices were STILL scary. Add on to that the 13% sales tax on top of everything and the money was flowing from my pockets like water from a sieve.

I did have a good time though. Hit up the Maid of the Mist, Clifton Hill, the Butterfly Conservatory and Marineland Canada and we all had a great time but wore the soles off our feet from all of the walking around the falls area.

All in all, it was a wonderful vacation but, I'm glad to be back in the states where I can recover from my vacation. I never did get used to driving on the left side of the road over there.
As a point of interest, let me add some context to your sticker shock. I went to see a couple of doctors last week...GP and Reumatologist. Doc filled out an insurance form and took a look at my irritated eye. Ordered some blood work for my physical. Got a couple of scripts (that were paid for by my employer provided and union fought-for drug plan). Went to the Reumatologist, got my regular injections for a bad back. He ordered xray and bone density scans, just to keep up with stuff. Got the tests, xrays and scans done.

Cost for the day? $0.00, including follow-ups

Sure it comes out of taxes, but we are paid enough that our standard of living is commensurate with yours, without the Wild West banking system that has crippled so many of your fellows. You were also whacked with a current high Canadian dollar, which is why there are a lot of us shopping in the States these days.

Just to say that our dollars and markets...indeed our countries, despite their similarities, are not interchangeable and can't be directly compared. Also, the price of some of our commodities are controlled (currently) by 'Marketing Boards', to ensure that farmers get something resembling a living wage for their efforts and not get inundated by less expensive American product. Call it the price of food security. Bear in mind that your Federal government regards shipping in the Mississippi as an issue of national security and in a sense provides a federal subsidy that helps to provide cheaper goods. A very simple analysis, I know and many of the finer points can be (and are) debated, but the bottom line is that those are the prices that work within our system and can't be directly compared with yours.

That all being said, I'm delighted you had a good time...especially the Maid of the Mist which is my personal favourite. I'm sure you didn't miss packing a gun, and that you felt pretty good about your personal security. Indeed, it ought to have placed the Stampede cop in a particularly ridiculous context. We're not without crime up here, and obviously there are places you don't want to go at night...same as anywhere else.

A trip across the border, either way, presents an opportunity to experience the foreign in a familiar manner. That's why I like visiting the US...heck, even Newfoundland for that matter. Differences in language and money are slight, the scenery is new and the culture is fresh without being weird...metric notwithstanding.

One more thing. Driving? Left side? You were in Niagara, not Montreal.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Sure it comes out of taxes, but we are paid enough that our standard of living is commensurate with yours, without the Wild West banking system that has crippled so many of your fellows. You were also whacked with a current high Canadian dollar, which is why there are a lot of us shopping in the States these days.

If the people feel they are getting their fair share for their taxes, I have no problem with your system. At least your government taxes the people enough to pay for the services they provide instead of burying then next generations in debt like ours.

Its good to hear that wages are higher over there to allow people to have a good standard of living. I just hope the prices in the Niagara region aren't typical for all Canadians. I kind of got the impression they were inflated for the tourist trap area and did find some good deals at a 7-11 where we picked up a bunch of sodas for 2 for $3.

I'm sure you didn't miss packing a gun, and that you felt pretty good about your personal security. Indeed, it ought to have placed the Stampede cop in a particularly ridiculous context.

I don't carry a gun but, do always keep a Leatherman tool on my belt, mainly to cut open packages and to use to fix stuff. Funny thing is, I forgot to take it off when entering Marineland Canada and walked right in the gate with it on. Later, my wife asked me to cut the tag off of something and I realized that they had let me in without the search and wanding that we usually get when entering something like that in the US.

It was nice to be in a country that isn't paranoid about terrorism for a change.

One more thing. Driving? Left side? You were in Niagara, not Montreal.

That part was a joke, although I was a little worried about that when I went over there. The metric thing took more time to get used to. I was driving for two days over there before I remembered the car has a metric conversion on the speedometer on the inside ring that I had never used before.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Also, in Alberta, where the OP's story takes place there is no Provincial tax only 5% G.S.T. (Goods & Services Tax) which is nation wide. Milk here is about a buck a litre, just over $4 a gallon, and it's very rare that you get shot at while you shop for it. =)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join