It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LENR and National Instruments: 10Watt * 6h excess heat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Francesco Celani, from Italian National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Frascati, Italy has demonstrated a gas loaded cell providing about 58 - 68 Watt output against 48 Watt input for 6 hours during the ongoing 2012 NI-Week in Austin, Texas.

He has been assisted by three National Instruments engineers taking care of the demo setup. Celani will also run a demo reactor(the same?) at the coming ICCF-17 conference in South Korea (with an NI engineer as assistant).

Source: blog.newenergytimes.com...
NI-Week-Show-Agenda for today/tomorrow: newenergytimes.com...
NIWeek website: www.ni.com...
edit on 7-8-2012 by moebius because: fix typo

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So much for "laws" of physics, eh?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

The laws are doing fine I think. This LENR stuff is uncharted area. There is no working theory yet afaik. I hope this will change soon.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Need to check how much energy was used to create the "fuel" into the mix to see if can make a good source of energy.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I was just kidding about the "laws". They were meant to be broken or found incomplete, just a tongue-in-cheek jest about that.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Update\Correction:

Cell ran on Saturday for 6 hours. Then it was moved to the conference area on Sunday and has been running continuously up to now for 55 hours!!!

Average excess heat 14 Watt, maximum 22 Watt.

I wish I was in Austin right now.

Source: 22passi.blogspot.com

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Now this is exciting.... between this and Brillouin I think we may be seeing a footrace developing to bring LENR to market!

When there's competition like this it's usually the consumer that wins unless the government steps in to screw it all up for us.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
Update\Correction:

Cell ran on Saturday for 6 hours. Then it was moved to the conference area on Sunday and has been running continuously up to now for 55 hours!!!

Average excess heat 14 Watt, maximum 22 Watt.

I wish I was in Austin right now.

Source: 22passi.blogspot.com
I read that blog and some of the comments...did you see the one by Rossi? He's offering advice on how to make the measurements more accurate (with the implication that without his suggestion they may not be accounting for everything).

If the only source we have for this is a blog, it's hard to get excited since whether you accept Rossi's advice or not, there are more ways to measure something wrong, than to measure it right. I got a little excited when the US Navy said they confirmed neutrons in a LENR (in some formal results they published, rather than just a blog), but then they subsequently dropped the LENR research which makes you wonder.

It also makes me wonder when LENR experimenters are using nickel, since nickel is a component of batteries, which can produce excess heat, for a limited period of time, without raising any eyebrows or without requiring any type of LENR.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
So much for "laws" of physics, eh?

The laws are not broken, it uses a fuel source. Much like you can start a fire using a match, no law is broken. The trouble has been in making LENR work, the process is not well understood. I have yet to see a long term LENR unit function. I want to see one work for a month and validated by independent experts.

The other question is whether the fuel used costs more than the energy gained.
edit on 8-8-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

There are the true laws of physics, and then there is our imperfect understanding of the laws of physics which is probably flawed in some respects. The true laws of physics are never broken.

However our understanding of the laws of physics may indeed be broken if LENR is actually taking place:

LENR

Because nuclei are all positively charged, they strongly repel one another.[34] Normally, in the absence of a catalyst such as a muon, very high kinetic energies are required to overcome this repulsion.[132] Extrapolating from known fusion rates, the rate for uncatalyzed fusion at room-temperature energy would be 50 orders of magnitude lower than needed to account for the reported excess heat.

50 orders of magnitude is no small discrepancy

My best guess based on what I've sen so far is that nuclear reactions are not taking place, so I'm not yet convinced of any LENR. Something may be happening other than nuclear reactions, but then the laws of physics as we know them would still be intact.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Arbitrageur because: added LENR source

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

You can build NIH2 batteries (75Wh/kg energy density, used in satellites for example). Ideally the experiment/demonstration should run long enough to exclude a chemical source. Lets try a conservative guess: 10W * 55h = 550Wh excess heat from a wire. Assuming the engineers and Celani are not completely incapable.

What gets me excited is, that it is not some dude in some workshop, showing some steam coming out of a hose and talking about some secret catalyst bs.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I believe they claim a catalyst IS used. They never mention what, only that a catalyst is needed.

top topics

join