It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Try To Unravel Mystery Of Man With Huge Stash Of Fake IDs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
It is 100% legal to wear the uniforms of most professions, complete with badges and other fake security ID. I could be a U.S. general and walk around at the mall or even a military parade and be legal. Impersonating someone actually comes into play when you actually claim to be someone you are not and do it in such a way as to expect to be taken seriously for the purposes of defrauding someone else. As long as your costume isn't obtained illegally and your not saying your someone else for the purposes of fraud, you can do anything you want, be anyone you want. There are only a few exceptions to this in very strict security tight areas.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Whoever manufactures, sells, or possesses any badge, identification card, or other insignia, of the design prescribed by the head of any department or agency of the United States for use by any officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation thereof, or photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or executes any engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

18 USC § 701 - Official badges, identification cards, other insignia

Sounds like fake US gov IDs are a crime.
edit on 8/8/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Okay I have to spend my two cents.

To begin where did this guy get all this crap? Ebay? Garage sales?

To me he sounds like a petty criminal or maybe some type of collector.

I doubt that an agent from any government would have such a large stash of incriminating evidence.

We are probably better off with the guy behind bars but it sounds like minor league stuff.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I started reading the article and had to do a double take when I noticed where it was I live in New Port Richey.

That's just amazing.

Just checked the Pasco county sheriff website, he violated probation also, he was on it for grand theft in Miami-Dade county.

www.pascosheriff.com...
edit on 8-8-2012 by EnigmaticDill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This guy is one of those talented impersonators who gets a thrill playing the roll of someone important. He's got to be smart - smart enough to study just enough about each "roll" he plays to understand the language, posture, composure, and act like he's supposed to be where he isn't supposed to be.

There's also a level of social engineering involved, meaning he gains just enough information to fool the people he's around (names, titles, project names, etc.)

He's probably not dangerous, just sick in that he can't stop his compulsion.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As far as I know, blue lights are perfectly legal. See them all the time on security and construction vehicles.

It is red lights that are not allowed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Okay.....So where was he on....01/02/2003......?
where was he on ....11/09/2001...?

And where was he the day....the music died...?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Or,it could be something as mundane as...he did it to impress women he met in bars.....

Des

That would be my guess. It's his hobby. Impersonating to impress, and get laid.

The only people that he could fool with all those different identities were people who didn't really know anything about them, i.e. clueless babes in nightclubs and bars.

I don't think he could walk into NASA with his flight suit on and fool anybody there. But, in a bar, or on a cruise ship tour, man, he could clean up all the babes on holiday, leaving none for the plain guys to grab for themselves. After all, women love the mysterious and prefer the man in uniform any day.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Agoyahtah because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2012 by Agoyahtah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Probably some "off the list" black ops dude...

Something similar happened a couple years ago in Canada... 4 guys when into a restaurant and they were pretty big and buffed guys they didn't cause any trouble or nothing but some people in the restaurant thought it was suspicious since it was a really rural place and they never saw them before and called the cops...

The cops arrested them and found ultra high tech electronic equipment and surveillance stuff plus military weapons and all... Turned out they were JTF2 on training mission...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
After doing a bit of digging and contemplating, I have concluded the following: This man is not connected to anything like a terrorist cell, or group of people plotting something nefarious. He MAY have been plotting something on his own, but clearly all of the gear he had was not going to possibly be used in any attempt. He also is not a professional in any government agency, like a spy or CIA member or anything, because people like that do not go around willingly telling people what they do, especially telling the same people different things. Amateur mistake imo.

Therefore I think that he truly is what he says...Just a disturbed individual with the money needed to procure most of these items. He had the little bit of know how needed to make these access badges and credentials, which is all info available online. I would be willing to bet that most of these credentials would have got him arrested if he tried to enter any of these government facilities. Especially considering that many actually scan badges. I doubt he could have faked that part, lol.

I arrived at the same conclusions by just reading the linked CNN article, so I think you are correct. The guy was living a fantasy, maybe doing/trying to do some illegal things (like getting a job with fake credentials or getting access to a library or something), but I don't think he was even doing anything hugely illegal, I doubt he tried to access any restricted areas, and if he would have, he would have probably been caught (although he could have gotten scanning working, if he worked on it long enough, but it would require so much work-I don't think he had enough reason to do it).

Found it a bit funny that they give the guys name-how did they validate that?

(I suppose it was the only ID they found that wasn't fake-but what if he had some realistic ID that could be validated by cops?)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
They better ban badges.

He could have killed lots of people with those things.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
They better ban badges.

He could have killed lots of people with those things.

I think the problem is trying to use fake ID. Badges and other stuff is just for the news story-I don't think he's being charged for that-police just need to make sure theres not something bigger going on-which I don't think there is.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by salainen

Well if you ask me- I think this may have been a smuggler trying to get people into key positions.

but why the NASA suit?

Maybe they were trying to get achmadenijad up in space to fire his ray missles?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Well if you ask me- I think this may have been a smuggler trying to get people into key positions.

but why the NASA suit?

Nah, I reckon he was simply having a fantasy-that also explains the NASA suit, but police will investigate anyway.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by salainen

but why the NASA suit?

Nah, I reckon he was simply having a fantasy-that also explains the NASA suit, but police will investigate anyway.

He had a HUGE stash of this stuff.

That had to cost him a sister or two.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by moonzoo7

I was reading about this fellow earlier. First thought was that he was some sort of agent for someone or other, and got sloppy, but hubby disagrees (and he does have intel training). He thinks the guy is a nut with talent. Either way, i wonder if we will ever hear the truth. I could see a case like this being used as a "good reason" for some sort of chip.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
All, I'd just like to point out that the police and press are notorious at overreacting. They'll argue to their last breath that a yellow water gun was a deadly weapon and that 3 guns is a 'horde' of weapons or 'stash'. I'm curious to see what a CIA uniform is. How many of these are going to end up being adult costumes ordered online for Halloween?

You mean overreacting like the case of the White House shooter? I saw video of the cops searching the car that supposedly belonged to the guy. Press was reporting that he had (of course), an "assault rifle", but the weapon taken from the car was clearly a pump action shotgun. Sometimes they overreact, and sometimes they lie.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
*snip*

Also, if there is CIA involvement, why the subpar Coast Guard ID? Did they want him to get caught? Is he a plant? Disavowed? Misdirection?
*snip*

Now, that hits right where I was thinking! Misdirection, or made up story. Someone to scare people, make them fear guns (all the ammo), get them behind national ID or chips, and so forth. Plant. Of course, I have been thinking that some of the shooters are the same thing. Yeah, I know there are crazies around (always have been), but some cases, you have to wonder.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

and just happens to scam ..

Homeland Security for a vehicular sticker ?? !!

think about that for a bit...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by OCoJ9
this is crazy. i made an account just to comment on this. i live in new port richey and i can tell you all that this is the a small little hick town that never has any news coming out of it. havent heard a peep about this from the local news station. youd think i would have considering how odd this story is..

Welcome to the site! I "lurked" for a long time before making an account myself, and when I did, because I couldn't NOT comment, same as you.

Interesting that it isn't in the local news. The story I read (large national news site) stated that the locals were asking people to ID the fellow. I would think that would be bigger news. Any chance you missed it, or are they not really talking about it locally? If not, that is very strange.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join