It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C'mon! Help support terrorism, even if they kill you.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The headline is mine, it is meant to get your attention, I can't believe this is happening.

The US government has permitted its citizens to start donating money to Syria’s opposition, paving the way for direct help from US nationals to the rebel fighters. ­

The Syrian Support Group (SSG), a Washington-based organization closely connected to rebel forces, has been granted a license by the US Treasury to begin fundraising on behalf of the opposition.

From RT news.

The Syrian Support Group, Inc. (“SSG”) received a license (the “License”) from the U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control (“OFAC”) that permits the organization to raise funds and provide certain services to the Free Syrian Army (the “FSA”). The following “frequently asked questions” provide additional details regarding the scope and application of the License.

From their website.

Barack Obama signs order authorizing support for Syria's rebels, reports say

So, Al Qaeda is in the ranks of the Syrian rebels, and not only does the US gov't stand behind them, but, now you can donate to help them?

I wonder why the group Al Qaeda rings a bell?
Oh right! They are a terrorist group listed on the FBI's website.

Weren't they blamed for 9/11 as well where they killed 2,977 people? Didn't the US kill their leader? Now they are providing them with funds as long as they suit the US's needs?

I wonder if there is a law regarding providing funds to terror organizations?
I wonder if there is anything in the Homeland Security Act? I don't want to look through it, any members know it well?

I am outraged, but, I also don't have all the information. Am I seeing this wrong? Please educate me if I am.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
How could U.S. citizens monetarily support a group (rebels) they know nothing about, in a situation of conflict they know nothing about. I would venture a guess that those who donate feel they're educated on this situation by means of Fox and CNN. Here's a question for you guy's. What if I wanted to support Assad and his cause? Would that be considered acceptable? To be honest all media aside, I know as much about Assad as I do the rebels, which amounts to very little good information on the situation.There are two sides to every story, the truth usually lies somewhere in between.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

Exactly! How do they know where their money is going? What exactly do they support about the rebels? Are they any better than Assad? Just because you don't like one person, it doesn't automatically make his enemy your friend.

Syrian rebels tried to get reporter killed in anti-Assad propaganda bid – report

Again, I don't know any more than you, just what I have read and seen on the news.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I haven't quite gotten my head around the whole "Arab Spring" concept... the media portrays it like democracy is infecting middle eastern nations... and then they tend to end up with fundamentalist Islamic regimes coming into power.

Something is definitely afoot and chances are it involves issues that might be as simple as oil and could be as complicated as "stabilizing" the region for corporate or even Chinese interests.Of course there could be components we are not privvy to - such as weapons programs, etc.

Then again, Isreal might just want it. One never knows.

My personal opinion is support the people. When the masses rise it usually is a good sign that something needs fixing. If we ever rise up I'd hope that other nations would rally in support of us - whethe they liked American, had been exposed to extreme anti-American propeganda, or anything else along those lines.

It's the people - the common people - who usually have the right idea about what their respective nations problems are.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This is a wild thought, but didn't we help depose mildly pro-American dictators in Egypt and Libya? And aren't those countries on the way to becoming Al-Qaida-Muslim Brotherhood territories? Does Syria fit the same pattern?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Going to see the cashed up elite open their wallets to this?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yes but who and how do you support the common people, when the rebels are the same as the bad guys!?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Makes sense as much as anything else. How is this helping the US though? That is the first thing I think of.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Referring to any group as "bad guys" is an absolutist type of thinking that I try to avoid. Remember, the folks we revere, and refer to as the Framers and the Founding Fathers were, by direct definition, terrorists.

Al Queda is a muddy issue also and I've never been fully convinced that their history might not lead right back to our own doorstep. Read your Sun Tsu!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Right, by saying "bad guy" I meant it as people that appear to be in the wrong. It's just quicker that way.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

From that point of view I return to my trust of the general population of Syria to know what is best for them. I have never lived there, so I've never experienced whatever conditions, situations, violations, or abuses they might have suffered. Assad might well simply be sowing what he's reaped. Then again, propaganda is a strong tool and there could be outside influences controlling the masses through misinformation.

But one thing I do know from a long life and having known a lot of people... a future Syria with a new regime may product some terrorists - but the vast majority of its citizens will no be engaged in such behavior. They'll be doing the same things we do... try to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Time will tell about what a new regime might stand for. And when that time comes I'll be better equipped to form opinions and to choose sides if necessary.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Dear superman2012,

I hate to even suggest this, but as a wild, out there, conspiracy, kind of thought, could it be that it's Obama's plan for the Middle-East? I mean, provide the soil for serious Islam to spread?

I'll go hide in the corner now.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

So no thoughts as to why it is ok to support Al Qaeda in one country and fight them in another? I don't understand it. Once they cross the border, they turn good? Or are they only the enemy in one country. My confusion comes from the FBI website that states that Al Qaeda International is a terrorist organization, and Syria is part of international is it not?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear superman2012,

I hate to even suggest this, but as a wild, out there, conspiracy, kind of thought, could it be that it's Obama's plan for the Middle-East? I mean, provide the soil for serious Islam to spread?

I'll go hide in the corner now.

With respect,
Charles1952

It could be sir. I just am failing to see/understand what they have to gain from this.
PS-Nothing is crazy here.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Dear superman2012,

I wasn't clear at all, sorry. What if Obama has a personal agenda to strengthen Islam in the Middle-East, regardless of the cost to the US?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Once upon a time the very people who ended up being Al Queda were at war with Russia - during the cold war. We considered them allies and armed them then. They served our purposes at the time. Unfortunately in global politics there are gray areas where we sometimes have to pit one enemy against another.

That's the cliff notes version.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

It could be sir. I just am failing to see/understand what they have to gain from this.
PS-Nothing is crazy here.

Taking any media release about international politics as truth, is a fools errand. It's all propaganda!!!

In the world of international dealing; nothing is as it seems with so much complicated alliances and deception you can't believe anything.

Now if you want to just bash the liberals and Obama; there is plenty of stuff to do it with, but this doesn't qualify.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
HAHA the raffle of death. Truly disgusting.

Win a cake kill a kid.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Not trying to bash anyone besides the insanity of giving money to your enemies. If you can't read any media, how do you propose we try to understand what is happening in the world?
Not everyone can afford to fly everywhere they want to learn about.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear superman2012,

I wasn't clear at all, sorry. What if Obama has a personal agenda to strengthen Islam in the Middle-East, regardless of the cost to the US?

With respect,
Charles1952

If Obama had a personal agenda, in any way, it would make a hell of a lot more sense that what we are being told.

Thanks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join