It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity finds gravel on Mars!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

I don't see anything in your source about there being more wind erosion on Mars than there is on Earth. But yes, it would be the predominant form of erosion on Mars.

edit on 8/6/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Maybe theres gold in that there gravel

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Is this thread a joke? (My question is serious.) Surely you are not moaning and complaining that the rover -- only 1 day on Mars -- has not sent more pictures.

And even if the thread is NOT a joke, your question about gravel is. You don't think the question asked about it landing on gravel is worth asking? Do YOU know how the gravel got there? Was it from a glacier trail eons ago? Let's hear your scientific wisdom.

For Pete's sake, some you people really are completely ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Martian gravel is a topic of great debate on ATS.

Not a joke. Martian gravel matters.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

And apparently it must have something to do with aliens and UFOs.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnarchysAngel
reply to post by pajoly

why does it matter?
its rocks
just rocks

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Air pressue is a lot less on Mars, so it stands to reason wind erosion would happen at a slower pace.

It is said that if you got caught in a twister on Mars surface, even if it is as large (size wise) as one of earth's biggest, it would barely be strong enough to blow you over.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I don't know how true this is, but I have seen an analogy of a martian dust devil being equivalent to sprinkling talcum powerder over oneself.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

This entire eight year project cost the same as one and a half hours of yearly U.S. entitlement programs.
Give NASA a break...even with Obama gutting the U.S. space program and cutting another 20% of future funding, NASA managed to successfully land a mini-cooper sized mobile laboratory on the surface of another planet.
I'd say thats not just cost effective...but pretty freaking amazing!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Fer God's sakes, they just got there less than 24 hours ago. It's a two year mission. They haven't even unpacked yet and y'all are griping about the pics. Do you seriously think that's all there is? That they landed in one piece and are operational is a minor miracle in itself. Nearly half the Mars missions failed "on impact." How about exert some patience and give them a chance?

Took the words right out of my mouth!!

But yea give them some time. It hasn't even been a day!

I look forward to future pics of Mars. I am a huge fan of Mars exploration. I have looked through thousands of Mars pics. Some of my favs come from Spirit Rover.

Give Curiosity some time to get settled in to its new home!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
What happened to the high debunking skills on this forum? Certainly people can come up with an explanation for what is seen in the photo as an alternative to gravel. Dust on the lens? Computer error? File photo put up by mistake? Something other than swamp gas or insects. Or physical trace left by alien craft. Rock circle?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpoq47
What happened to the high debunking skills on this forum? Certainly people can come up with an explanation for what is seen in the photo as an alternative to gravel. Dust on the lens? Computer error? File photo put up by mistake? Something other than swamp gas or insects. Or physical trace left by alien craft. Rock circle?

Except nobody believes it is anything other than gravel...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xpoq47

yes! to immediately just come right out and claim 'gravel' from a single observation is highly suspicious ... especially when independent confirmation from at least 3 instrument teams is usually the standard for such bold claims.

Maybe it actually IS gravel ... but ... 'they' want us to think it was deposited by some fluvial activity in the not-too-distant past and inspire our imaginations of flowing water across the desert ... hmmmmm ... obvious misdirection.

Rather than being deposited by a stream (sounds too mundane), i suspect this gravel was more likely covered by a layer of dust, but was recently exposed by the landing thrusters of a previously visiting spacecraft--who's mission was to 'prepare' the region for our arrival by either planting or removing objects of interest (i'm not exactly sure which.)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Soon nasa will ship this gravel back to Earth and rednecks everywhere will get the option to have trillion dollar driveways!!!
So, let's not discount this MAJOR discovery!
Awesome thumbnails...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I LOVE it when people post threads like this about mars. It is bringing up interesting things that we see on mars! And there sure are incredible image what seems to be obvious artifacts and some borderline etc.

I think it could be one day that we are in contact with a superior race and they give us help. They could be kinda like a father that helps his son or daughter walk, they have to learn how to walk themselves, be as advanced as we can then they might be able to relate to us on a basic level.

So in a way the best thing we can do IS spend money to find good , honest and intelligent ETs.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnarchysAngel
reply to post by pajoly

Not to derail this thread, but you seem to know something that the rest of us don't in regards to "caretakers," and your other thread on ancient civilizations.

Gravel does matter. It makes for a great driveway when one can't afford paving.

What road are you going down with this?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sulie

The same road that the last 20 or so threads on the same subject have gone down. The debate of natural or possibly manufactured gravel on the Martian surface. Care to contribute and offer your speculation on the subject?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Really?

Okay, let's take it from the top: Gravel

Gravel /ˈɡrævəl/ is composed of unconsolidated rock fragments that have a general particle size range and include size classes from granule- to boulder-sized fragments.

Please note: Boulder size to granule sized fragments

Gravel can be manufactured. But it is also produced naturally. Have none of you been outside your homes and cities? Taken a walk around lakes and rivers? Walked near the base of a cliff face where rocks over eons have eroded, cracked, and fallen to the ground to shatter?

Now on Mars let's add something that it has a lot more of than here on Earth due it it's thin atmosphere: meteor impacts. Crushed rocks and debris thrown in the air and for miles.

Of course their is going to be gravel there.

Would it have eroded away? What? If the Earth has a much thicker atmosphere with much more weathering than Mars has had for billions of years, yet we still have gravel that is natural.......what in the world makes you think that the gravel on Mars would have eroded away to nothing by now?

Okay, now, if you come back with a picture showing quite clearly a gravel road......or a pile of gravel like we would see from a quarry......THEN you have something to talk about.

And for those of you that feel Curiosity was a waste of money: Be of good cheer. Obama has slashed NASA's budget so badly that exploration programs like this and others are all that is left. There are only a handful of them left because they were already paid for and on their way. Any new ventures by NASA would be a miracle since they've had to pretty much scrap a lot of things they had planned, even having to pull out of a join venture with the ESA (who's had to turn to the Russians for help as a new partner in space exploration).

So you guys have gotten your wish already (apparently you don't read the news as this happened months ago). Let the rest of us enjoy what little there is left, as it's now not a whole lot anymore.
edit on 6-8-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Can you back up the idea that gravel doesn't erode on Mars' surface in a few billion years with a source?

I heard about the space program getting canned a long time ago. I'm pretty sad, but things like that change with administrations.

edit on 6-8-2012 by AnarchysAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
While I certainly see value in exploring the universe, perhaps that billion dollars could have gone to better use. Like maybe feeding people, helping out the poor, paying off some national debt...

They are being over fed.
The poor have two tv's, one of which is a flat screen, they have at least one car, and they have an air conditioned apt/.house.
The debt interest in 2015 will be over $1 Billion/DAY!
Anything else you wanna whine about?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join