It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonoid Torrent Site Shut Down as Favor to US Gov

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

I admire your position and think you should go a few steps further and declare your support of the Government's Activities by putting a bumper sticker on your car, if you have one, and a sign in front of your house, if you have one. Seriously, it is time for people to declare out in the open what they believe and who they stand with.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by finitedualities
reply to post by unityemissions

Ignoring the fact that Demonoid was private....k.

Was it, really? I don't recall getting an invite for it! In fact, I rarely logged in. I think you're mistaken.

reply to post by ArchPlayer

That's incredibly messed up! While I think the people need to fight this head on, is there no work around in the meantime? Like, not "selling" songs, rather giving them away for free, but having a donations link as well?
edit on 6-8-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akuhei

The loss in "profits" that these companies claim is equivalent, put to scale, probably about $5 of the millions they make off everything else.

Much of what I download I would never have purchased anyway. That and I actually go and buy the Bluray after watching a downloaded movie I like, like try before you buy. They don't lose a damn penny from me.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I think demonoid used to have open membership but the last time I tried to sign up (3 or so months ago) it was invite only.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
It's about time these torrent sites and illegal downloading of copyrighted material is stopped. It costs taxpayers more to combat and makes the prices go up for the material for those of us who are hardworking and decent people. I'm expecting a backlash, which is fine. I just don't agree with the attitude that stealing from people is right. I read time and time again about these people who have earned lots of money. The key word is "earned". Just because they have lots of money is not justification to download their albums, films, etc illegally.

Here comes the backlash.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and I don't fault you for that.

I would point out a couple of things, however. Don't confuse 'theft' with 'copyright infringement.' They are two entirely different things, and why one is a criminal offense and the other is a civil issue. Theft deprives the owner of the property. Copyright infringement, in this case on intangible intellectual property, uses copies of the original property. The owner of the intellectual property is therefore not deprived of usage (studios still have the film, musicians still have the music, etc.), and the damages come in the form of how much money, etc. can be proven to have been lost due to said copyright infringement. With tangible goods....electronics, music equipment, etc., those damages are a bit easier to prove in that people still had to purchase the copied item. That item may have been at a substantially reduced cost, however, making it difficult to prove 100% that every purchaser of the copy would've bought the original at a higher price. Case law reflects this. Furthermore, patents and copyrights are usually wholly owned by the manufacturer, meaning that the actual creator of the product has been compensated in some form or another during the process.

Now, with music and movies the situation gets a whole lot stickier. First, despite all of the screaming and gnashing of teeth on the part of the RIAA and MPAA, there has never been any definitive proof that one single red cent has actually been 'lost' to torrenting. Ever. That's not to say that there isn't any loss, just that it has never been proven. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be successfully sued for an amount pulled out of thin air. The only reason the big judgements hold up is because they have better lawyers and lobbyists than, say, you or I. The business model is also entirely different in how it handles the creators of the product. For decades the music industry has given pennies on the dollar to artists for CD sales. The artist's main source of income comes from live shows and merchandise sales (KISS has absolutely mastered this concept). The actual albums are a promotional tool to get people to come to the shows.

The proof of how this truly affects the artists is evidenced by how many artists actually support what the RIAA does. Trent Reznor testified on behalf of Oink! when its owner went to trial. Radiohead released their last album for free. It has become fairly common to hear artists at a concert actually tell people to download their music. It's a really highly effective distribution model....which is what they wanted in the first place. More people download and listen to the CD the band wasn't making any money on anyway, but they like it and come to the concert and buy a t-shirt. I had a long conversation with Hugo Ferreira (Tantric lead singer) a few years ago about the state of the industry...he said he HOPED people downloaded his stuff because it was so hard to get corporate radio to play any of it that they only way they got new listeners was through torrenting and sites like YouTube. Look how many artists come out of retirement and do tours. It's because that's where the money is. And, as I mentioned previously, not everybody who downloads an album would've bought it in the first place. In fact, from an informed but anecdotal perspective, I would be surprised if that number

The parts of the industry 'hurt' by torrenting, if there is any actual damage, are the labels. You know, the guys who take $11.99 for ever $12.00 cd sold, with the vast majority of it just being pure profit. This is what I referred to when I said it was a dying business model. Most people have at least heard of torrenting. Not everybody knows how radically recording and distribution has shifted in the last 10 years or so. Prior to cheap, abundant desktop computers and the internet, it was pretty expensive to get an album recorded and mastered, and then you also had to figure out how to get it on the shelves in stores. Now that's fast becoming irrelevant. You can cut a professional quality CD in your basement or garage with about $2000 in equipment. Then you can put it out on the internet and sell it via CDBaby or even iTunes if you want. You don't need the labels anymore.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Yes, it has been invite only for a few years. You needed a generated invite code to join. Non members got a very limited use of torrent searching.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Continued:

Some of the biggest bands in Europe right now are wholly unaffiliated with the major labels. They're playing to crowds of tens of thousands of people night after night without any of the promotional or distribution networks used by the labels. Why? Because they're smart. They saw what P2P and the internet as a whole can do and embraced it instead of fought it. Plus, the artists actually get a decent return on their work...for the first time maybe ever in modern music.

Heck, look at LouisCK's last release....he put it out for free and asked for donations. To date, he has made far more money off of it than on any of his previous releases, which were handled by big labels/studios.

You have a legitimate concern, just don't lace it with industry propaganda.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Interesting. Well I rarely used that site over the last few years.
edit on 6-8-2012 by unityemissions because: tmi

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Maybe you should check before making such absolute comments next time

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by samcrow

That would NEVER happen here. The talent bandwagon has been OFF for many many years. Labels have set up and oversaturated the American model with garbage and people have a filling taste of it right now. They don't even care if it is a shambles or a predicament. This is a fascist corporation country, and that is what it will be. Indie artists would NEVER be booked into a place that holds thousands of people; right now they are struggling to get a place to comfortably hold 200.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Maybe you should check before making such absolute comments next time

There was no reason for me to assume (or check) that it had become private.

It wasn't before, and it wasn't mentioned in the OP.

edit on 6-8-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Right now there is no workaround. The American audience has a pre implanted stigma that if your music is given for "free" it aint #. Does not help that the big Universal giant that bought everybody out, jumped on this bandwagon and put it into folk mind a long time ago. It is hard to get promotion, airplay, and the whole 9 like you would back in the 70s as a college garage band or the like. Then, if it is donation only, the IRS can get you if you are not setup as not for profit because the prevailing wage laws - I have had to deal with even giving my own music away for free and proving to the IRS I didn't make any money. They respond back, so you spent XXXXX amount of money on a record for no return. You must be embezzling.

While indie artists in Europe can get away with that because of the community aspect, does not work that way in America. The conditioning has taken root, and even people in jazz, blues, and other non contemporary by today's standards genres put out indie material here it tanks. If Billboard cant see sales to put you on the chart, you havent done a thing.

I for one use to leak my own music on demonoid. I'd rather have 1,000,000 downloads and be proud and see a modest amount of singles than get raped by bestbuy music, itunes, amazon, and the rest of sales for hosting on their site. People in this country don't value music and now with the economy tanked, don't give a rip about going out and having the nightlife experience anymore. Being a musician here is the pits - ask any DJ or live performer.

The DJs took a serious hit with the new rule you have to pay 35K every year in a "licensing fee" to RIAA to spin records. That pretty much killed everyone and if they catch you, be prepared to be in court for something like breaking a new record. The corporations have us right where they want us.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
It's about time these torrent sites and illegal downloading of copyrighted material is stopped. It costs taxpayers more to combat and makes the prices go up for the material for those of us who are hardworking and decent people. I'm expecting a backlash, which is fine. I just don't agree with the attitude that stealing from people is right. I read time and time again about these people who have earned lots of money. The key word is "earned". Just because they have lots of money is not justification to download their albums, films, etc illegally.

Here comes the backlash.

As a point, i agree, BUT, what about music that is near impossible to get?
I have a lot of Hard Rock/Metal bands who's music is nigh on impossible to get here in OZ.
Esp stuff that is years out of print.
Examples: China, Heavy Pettin', Treat, Madam X, Andy Taylor.... i could go on...
And don't you dare point out ebay, imo 99% of sales do not go to artists from that site, so in that point, whats the diff??
Until ALL albums from EVERY artist, including rare/bootleg stuff is available online, i have no choice but to use torrents......

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I am disappointed by this news but not as disappointed as I was when my favorite torrent site was shut down a couple of years ago..rip mininova

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchPlayer
reply to post by samcrow

That would NEVER happen here. The talent bandwagon has been OFF for many many years. Labels have set up and oversaturated the American model with garbage and people have a filling taste of it right now. They don't even care if it is a shambles or a predicament. This is a fascist corporation country, and that is what it will be. Indie artists would NEVER be booked into a place that holds thousands of people; right now they are struggling to get a place to comfortably hold 200.

Not true. I listen to a lot of hip-hop. Look at a guy like Yelawolf. Completely indie artist until fairly recently, when he signed with Eminem's label (he's dropping them and going back indie for the next album). He was filling venues of a few thousand people long before he got 'signed,' and he's still selling the same amount of tickets but now the label is hammering him on royalties.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by samcrow

Who is yelawolf? Hip Hop is a DEAD medium; if it isn't commercial rap and any subgenres it gets no play. I don't recall Shady records rolling out the red carpet for this artist I've never heard of like they did that debacle D-12. Any music that is positive gets shut down. PERIOD POINT BLACK. The good ol' days of Grandmaster Melle and them are over. Where are these places yelawolf is playing? I haven't recalled seeing him in LA, NYC, or Chicago.

Nitche genres are going to have their fanboys but they are not the buying public. The buying public are those twilight fanboys and girls looking for easy entertainment that doesnt require much thinking. We are dealing with a generation that thinks they are real musicians if they can master Rock Band or Djs if they master DJ Hero - both which are now available in any trendy bar playing Universal Music and their subsidiaries music. Yelawolf is no where on that plateau. Eminem probably considers him a Joe Budden at this point.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Copyright infrigment is nothing but a business for the lawyers and paper pushers at RIAA & MPAA. They only serve to keep themselves working. Also anti-piracy measures only hurt the paying customer. Which makes them bit moot.
Also I would #ing download a car if I could...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
According to wiki I think I read it was ranked 538th of best torrent sites so................one goes down still thousands of other torrent sites out there.

Investigators have copied all the information from the servers Demonoid and sealed them,” an anonymous ColoCall source confirmed. “Some equipment was not seized, but now it does not work, and we were forced to terminate the agreement with the site.”

Sealed my butt 3 million demonoid users? gonna be getting infringement notices soon.

edit on 6-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Ignoring the fact that Demonoid was private....k.

Was it, really? I don't recall getting an invite for it! In fact, I rarely logged in. I think you're mistaken.

It was a private tracker, but they occasionally had open registrations.. so for limited times anyone could sign up.. but the majority of the time, nope .. invite only

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by Akuhei

The loss in "profits" that these companies claim is equivalent, put to scale, probably about $5 of the millions they make off everything else.

Much of what I download I would never have purchased anyway. That and I actually go and buy the Bluray after watching a downloaded movie I like, like try before you buy. They don't lose a damn penny from me.

I actually used it as a form of distribution for my own music.. it would be ironic if I got busted in this raid for "pirating" my own music, even though I'm an independent artist .. lo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join