It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity just touches down and the NASA haters out in force!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by g146541

And my flying cars!

Wait? What? they're called airplanes?

Oh, then never mind.

Yeah right???
Ones that fold into a briefcase, or instant meals in a pill, just put on a plate and hydrate!
So many things could have been a byproduct of space travel.
What did we get?
Faster rockets and bigger warheads at discount prices...

Here's a fairly short list for starters

With even a MINIMAL amount of research on the subject...*sigh* you know what? Forget it

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

I understand what you mean when you said,

I felt good for the first time in 11 years,
last night,

Eddie Murphy called it best when he compared crackers to sex.
When you are starved of sex it is like eating saltines, then you get some and it's like getting a Ritz cracker!!!
We got a Ritz in 1969, why in the heck have we been eating plain saltines since?
The only thing that has kept nasa in the spotlight has been its EPIC BBQ failures.
So, where you exclaim whiner, I just hate to settle for mediocrity.
But if it's cool for you, I'm happy and excited for you!
I still believe that we bought some awful expensive saltines though, when we could have got some good Ritz for the same price tag...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I agree with Richard Hoagland, most of Nasa and JPL are INCREDIBLE, it is just the select few that keep such incredible artifacts, structures and a possible underground civilization a secret. I have to TOTALLY disagree with Dr. Robert Zubrin that Nasa is not holding back. You can't have ribbed - tube images, biological sprayers, clear evidence of farming, structures, pipes, statues and land in rocks and the list goes into the thousands. And not speak out about it.

You can't have road systems that are uploaded as gif's to tame the public and not say any thing about it.

I think it is quite possible that all the kids in the blue shirts are left out in the dark about the incredible artifacts. Though I think all of them are brilliant and I have a high regard for them. Most if not all of them DO NOT KNOW what is going on in the upper echelons of Nasa and JPL. And they love their jobs and want to hold on to them. They are GREAT at their jobs I am sure! We the public owe them great homage, no question.
edit on 6-8-2012 by thetiler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by Diablos

Wow. Even a NASA thread somehow becomes a political diatribe? Sometimes this community amazes me. The real world isn't quite as simple as left/right, MAC/PC, Democrats/Republicans, gay/straight, coke/pepsi, AM/FM and the like. Perhaps if more people could wrap their pointy little heads around that we would have half a fighting chance at getting ourselves out of the mess in which we currently find ourselves. But alas...

Because the simple existence of NASA as a government agency and its funding by the taxpayers falls into the political debate. Irony how this is coming from the libs, the same libs who love to bring up the gun control debate as soon as a lunatic goes on a shooting rampage. I guess you people don't have a problem debating politics then, but when your precious NASA is on the chopping block, suddenly politics becomes a red-herring. Such hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diablos
Such hypocrisy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed5f910f7604.gif[/atsimg]

Politics, parties, what ever.
The party is over.
Sober up.

Technical accumen is the future, not sound bites, or snarky comments.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thetiler

Richard Hoaxland you mean, the guy would need to increase his intelligence by a factor of ten to get to the level of stupid

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

People are making UNEDUCATED comments re the quality of the first pics, now if they actually bothered to look into the mission before making their half assed remarks they wouldn't need to.

So NASA haters are actually those who don't have detailed facts on mission cameras.

NASA isn't what it use to be. For the billions spent on Mars, can we at least get a new potato chip or something from the research.

No NASA haters make stupid posts to comment on things that they DON'T understand, have you had a look at the Curiosity has landed thread, anyone who bothered to look into this or actually listened to statements about the mission knew that the first cameras to be used were the lo-res haz cams but as soon as the first pictures from them were shown what do we get, the great UNEDUCATED spouting off about is that it, my camera phone has better quality etc.

That why I posted this thread with info and a link to more details on the real hi-res cameras

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by wmd_2008

Uneducated???

Better than 40 years ago nasa rouched down on the moon.
Between now and then the best we have is a robot and some pictures??
I don't care if the data comes back with a perfect 3d diagram of the complete Martian surface, we should have colonies in outer space by now.
Where did all of the wasted time and money go?
If that makes me uneducated well...

I try to stay out of such fights because technically, both sides have valid points...but you aren't exactly disproving the OP with the above post.

Why? Space is one of the most hostile environments to man. Imagine a vaccuum that is over 400 degrees below zero, and is occasionally filled with flashes of lethal radiation and house sized rocks travelling as fast as a bullet. You can't just throw someone out into space and ask him to hold his breath. You need to find out what it takes for people to survive, and to do that, you need to send probes out to test, and experiment. THAT is what NASA has been doing with all the "wasted time and money".

Forty years ago during the Apollo missions they didn't simply slap a rocket together and launch it. They literally tested every component in baby steps, from testing the Saturn V rocket to seeing how to launch the Apollo command module to seeing hwo to fly the command module to the moon to how the command module could link up with the lander module to how to steer the lander module in lunar orbit to actuall landing. All of that was playing with Legos compared to planning all the technical details for a manned mission to Mars because of all the monumental difference between getting to the moon and getting to Mars.

Here's a surprise- one of these "robots" that NASA sent to Mars had an experiment to see whether rocket fuel could be manufactured from resources on Mars itself. That means any manned space mission only needs to carry enough fuel to get there. It'll be able to pick up the fuel to return once it gets there, and becuase of that, it gives planners a major piece of the puzzle in how to send astronauts there and back.

So,yes, sending robots IS a necessary step to any manned Mars mission. You just didn't know it until now.
edit on 7-8-2012 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diablos
Because every "NASA hater" is just an ignorant, uneducated redneck who doesn't understand the value of science, huh?

Funny how leftists love to result to personal attacks instead of justifying the funding of unconstitutional, bloated, bureaucratic government agencies through the taxpayer. My question for you people is this: If you really think this is so important to you, why can't you come together and raise $2.5 billion and fund this in the name of science? Oh, that's because you people typically want someone else (namely the taxpayer) to pay for it. Another project that will only benefit a few academic elitists in the long run and will bring no change to the life of the Average Joe (the taxpayer).

NASA hate is perfectly justified and the agency should have been completely privatized decades ago.

If not for the above mentioned funding of "unconstitutional, bloated, bureaucratic government agencies through the taxpayer" you would be mumbling to yourself or writing a letter to the editor with pen and paper, rather than on the internet, complaining in real time...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Have the colour photos been released yet
I am very excited for this

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Uneducated???

Better than 40 years ago nasa rouched down on the moon.
Between now and then the best we have is a robot and some pictures??
I don't care if the data comes back with a perfect 3d diagram of the complete Martian surface, we should have colonies in outer space by now.
Where did all of the wasted time and money go?
If that makes me uneducated well...

If you ACTUALLY read why I used the word UNEDUCATED in my OP maybe you wouldn't have shot yourself in the foot.

My comment is directed at the UNEDUCATED comments re the first pictures to arrive back, if these people who claim their camera phone is better HAD ACTUALLY EDUCATED themselves with regards to the mission they would have known that the first pictures back would have been from the lo-res haz cams.
Thats why I provided info on the Hi-res cameras and the link to LEARN more.

Had they made the EFFORT to learn about the mission timetable they would have EDUCATED themselves just that little bit more and wouldn't have made STUPID posts regarding the first images back.

Hope that clears it up for ALL the people who can't be bothered to make an effort to LEARN before they comment!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

I have no clue about the quality of pictures, or any conspiracies going on behind the scenes. I dont really care about NASA dog and pony show and the distraction of landing robots on a big barren rock millions of miles away.

I cant be arsed with it; there are billions of people on this planet, let me emphasize, THIS PLANET, that are living in squalor, oppression, and misery, and people think I should be all happy go lucky and give humanity a big pat on the back because "we" sent a robot to a big rock and it didnt explode when it arrived.

Forgive me if I do not indulge in the ego wank fest that is the "zomg 'we' r soooooo awesome" attitude that always seem to pervade these technological "achievements" threads.

Wake me up when "we" start doing something that actually has a meaningful, positive impact on the lives HERE, on THIS PLANET.
edit on 8/6/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

Sorry but this is a Sophism.
I understand your point but look...

Pure mathematicians should be banned also? They work on useless things that may be use in about a hundred years... They are not saving the planet

Archaeologists? Who cares for that... Not working on starvation either... Ripp then off

Quantic Physics...not immediate deployment. Let's cut their fundings

And so on...

Mankind build knowledge and this a nonstop process. Most of we know today is fruit of pure research with no immediate use at that time.

From the billions of people on earth, a good lot is involved in not saving the planet, but building up mankind knowledge. We are using knowledge from the blokes behind us. Our children will use ours and so on.

I would rather target and blame the warefare industry than science endevours.

Archaeologists try to understand our past. Pure mathematicians try to understand numbers.
As for NASA... It sends things to space. Its their role I suppose.

Just my 2 cents
edit on 8-8-2012 by LordAdef because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2012 by LordAdef because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by Diablos

Wow. Even a NASA thread somehow becomes a political diatribe? Sometimes this community amazes me. The real world isn't quite as simple as left/right, MAC/PC, Democrats/Republicans, gay/straight, coke/pepsi, AM/FM and the like. Perhaps if more people could wrap their pointy little heads around that we would have half a fighting chance at getting ourselves out of the mess in which we currently find ourselves. But alas...

one of the best post ive read in a long time.

you would think ats could find a way to be above all of the political nonsense.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
You know what is hilarious...Diablos reads " ignorant, uneducated redneck" and automatically assumes that the Op is about him and other repubs...

Is this what he/she thinks of themselves and the republican party?...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join